Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cold bridges how to minimize them?

I'm doing a loft conversion which involve using metal joist hangers
(instead of the traditional joists laid onto the inner leave of a
cavity wall) and I am about to fix the chipboard on top of the
structure, but but I've realized that I have probably omitted some
treatment for possible cold bridges from the end of the joists (the
ends fixed on the joist hangers).
In fact I want as well apply some internal insulation using Celotex
boards fixed internally on the whole 4 walls including the loft space.
Clearly I cannot apply such insulation behind the joist hangers
therefore cold bridges are going to be an issue.

What can I do to eliminate/attenuate such cold bridges?

I am thinking of using some flexible insulation like Airtec (airbubbles
plastic stuff similar to that used in packaging with aluminium layer on
both sides) wrapped around the joist hangers and joist ends as well.
Will it work? Or will it make thing even worse?
Any suggestion appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

I can't see how you will get a cold bridge from the inner leaf of a
cavity wall. The cavity is the thermal break.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, as you can see I am not to sure of the issue.
In any case there is no insulation in the gap between the two leaves
(that's why I need to install internal insulation) therefore the walls
will be very cold in winter....the joist hanger is attached to them and
"connected" to the warmer air indoor. Wouldn't this be a cause for
condensation?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

As mentioned, the cavity is a thermal break which will prevent cold
bridging. Don't confuse a cooler internal leaf with a cold bridge.

Yes the blockwork internal leaf may be cooler than the room, but it
will present no problems with condensation

How are your existing first floor joists connected to the external
walls - most likely in a similar way to this scenario and the same as
the majority of houses in the UK.

dg

Cold concrete ok bhads UK diy 6 November 29th 05 08:31 PM
Concrete in cold weather bhads UK diy 1 November 29th 05 07:54 PM
strange flow behaviour from cold water tap. urchaidh UK diy 11 November 24th 05 07:16 PM
electric shower doesn't run cold - - advice please! Andrea UK diy 4 July 12th 03 07:59 AM
how do I ensure there is a cold water path to the boilers return BigWallop UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 01:59 PM