Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan

Default Cheapest way of making a shower unit? Urgent!

BUGGER! I've just cracked the bath - mind you, I never liked it and no-one
bathed here, they just used the shower.
BUT, I'm a bit low on the ol' spons right now, and unless I'm mistaken, even
an end-of-range shower cubicle thing from B&Q is looking like the best part
of £400 all in (was £700 - how the....)

SO...it can be 'orrible moulded all in one job, shower is going in corner
where two walls join. Any ideas? Basically, we're washing-less right now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil

Bucket, hammer and nails....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harvey Van Sickle

On 06 Dec 2005, Jonathan wrote

BUGGER! I've just cracked the bath - mind you, I never liked
it and no-one bathed here, they just used the shower.
BUT, I'm a bit low on the ol' spons right now, and unless I'm
mistaken, even an end-of-range shower cubicle thing from B&Q
is looking like the best part of £400 all in (was £700 - how
the....)

SO...it can be 'orrible moulded all in one job, shower is
going in corner where two walls join. Any ideas? Basically,
we're washing-less right now.

Buy a shower tray; build two stud walls out from the existing
walls; tile the whole of the inside with cheap white tiles; make
sure it's sealed where the tray and the walls meet; use a shower
rail and curtain instead of a hinged door.

It won't cost zero pounds, but it'll be less than the £400, I'd
have thought.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
BUGGER! I've just cracked the bath - mind you, I never liked it and no-one
bathed here, they just used the shower.
BUT, I'm a bit low on the ol' spons right now, and unless I'm mistaken, even
an end-of-range shower cubicle thing from B&Q is looking like the best part
of £400 all in (was £700 - how the....)

SO...it can be 'orrible moulded all in one job, shower is going in corner
where two walls join. Any ideas? Basically, we're washing-less right now.

Have a gander at... www.plumbworld.co.uk

They have some good deals.

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
BUGGER! I've just cracked the bath - mind you, I never liked it and no-one
bathed here, they just used the shower.
BUT, I'm a bit low on the ol' spons right now, and unless I'm mistaken, even
an end-of-range shower cubicle thing from B&Q is looking like the best part
of £400 all in (was £700 - how the....)

SO...it can be 'orrible moulded all in one job, shower is going in corner
where two walls join. Any ideas? Basically, we're washing-less right now.

What sort of bath is it? Can you (temporarily) repair it with something
like a car body repair kit?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harvey Van Sickle

On 06 Dec 2005, wrote

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:
On 06 Dec 2005, Jonathan wrote

BUGGER! I've just cracked the bath - mind you, I never liked
it and no-one bathed here, they just used the shower.
BUT, I'm a bit low on the ol' spons right now, and unless
I'm mistaken, even an end-of-range shower cubicle thing from
B&Q is looking like the best part of £400 all in (was £700 -
how the....)

SO...it can be 'orrible moulded all in one job, shower is
going in corner where two walls join. Any ideas? Basically,
we're washing-less right now.

Buy a shower tray; build two stud walls out from the
existing walls; tile the whole of the inside with cheap
white tiles; make sure it's sealed where the tray and the
walls meet; use a shower rail and curtain instead of a
hinged door.

Err, two walls in a corner plus two more walls, where does the
door go?

Ummm......ummmmm.....one of them's invisible?

[No? Ok....I'll just go hide in my door-less corner...]

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan

wrote in message
oups.com...

If its fibreglass, the same repair technique and materials will work as
used on fibreglass cars, canoes, etc. You'd need resin, fibreglass, and
something to reinforce across the crack, eg stainless mesh.

Yes, it was fibreglass, but it was a fairly grim yellow colour before and
scratched anyway.

I'm fairly sure my DIY will be horrendous, so I'm going to pick up a load of
those "pack of 44 tiles from the 99p store for 99p" tiles and go for
suggestion #1, but without sealing myself in

Thanks for the plumbworld suggestion, but even the cheapest:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/605-15914 is still £350

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
Bucket, hammer and nails....

Well, I could stand in the bucket, but aren't the hammer and nails going to
leave me with rough skin?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"Jonathan" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...

If its fibreglass, the same repair technique and materials will work as
used on fibreglass cars, canoes, etc. You'd need resin, fibreglass, and
something to reinforce across the crack, eg stainless mesh.

Yes, it was fibreglass, but it was a fairly grim yellow colour before and
scratched anyway.

I'm fairly sure my DIY will be horrendous, so I'm going to pick up a load

of
those "pack of 44 tiles from the 99p store for 99p" tiles and go for
suggestion #1, but without sealing myself in

Thanks for the plumbworld suggestion, but even the cheapest:
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/605-15914 is still £350

I just repaired my shower a few weeks back.

I bought a few boxes of the B&Q white tiles and a box of black. tub of
adhesive, some grout and sealent, new plasterboard and some other bits came
to around £50. Probably could have done it cheaper though (B&Q seams
expensive for some bits) but I was happy for a one stop shop at the shed and
it was cheap enough for me and it looks great.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil

Hammer & nails to make holes in the bottom of the bucket.
Fill bucket with water of desired temp, stand underneath. One shower!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey

Jonathan wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

If its fibreglass, the same repair technique and materials will work as
used on fibreglass cars, canoes, etc. You'd need resin, fibreglass, and
something to reinforce across the crack, eg stainless mesh.

Yes, it was fibreglass, but it was a fairly grim yellow colour before and
scratched anyway.

I'm fairly sure my DIY will be horrendous, so I'm going to pick up a load of
those "pack of 44 tiles from the 99p store for 99p" tiles and go for
suggestion #1, but without sealing myself in

Dunno about prices, but lino makes a good tile alternative for the walls.
Douglas de Lacey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kalico

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:01:16 +0000, Douglas de Lacey
wrote:

Jonathan wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

If its fibreglass, the same repair technique and materials will work as
used on fibreglass cars, canoes, etc. You'd need resin, fibreglass, and
something to reinforce across the crack, eg stainless mesh.

Yes, it was fibreglass, but it was a fairly grim yellow colour before and
scratched anyway.

I'm fairly sure my DIY will be horrendous, so I'm going to pick up a load of
those "pack of 44 tiles from the 99p store for 99p" tiles and go for
suggestion #1, but without sealing myself in

Dunno about prices, but lino makes a good tile alternative for the walls.
Douglas de Lacey.

I have often wondered if Lino could be used on the walls instead of
tiles.

Does it not sag?

I have used the tile-boards though with good results.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kalico

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:45:53 -0000, "Jonathan"
wrote:

BUGGER! I've just cracked the bath - mind you, I never liked it and no-one
bathed here, they just used the shower.
BUT, I'm a bit low on the ol' spons right now, and unless I'm mistaken, even
an end-of-range shower cubicle thing from B&Q is looking like the best part
of £400 all in (was £700 - how the....)

SO...it can be 'orrible moulded all in one job, shower is going in corner
where two walls join. Any ideas? Basically, we're washing-less right now.

£400 seems a bit steep. Do you mean you are thinking of taking the
bath out and putting a walk-in shower cubicle in instead?

If so, and the shower is in the corner, then you should be looking at
the following rough costs (not the biggest or flashiest, but cheapest
for a good job) which are what it cost me:-

- Stone 760mm square shower tray = £30 - £40
- 760mm enclosure with pivot door = £70 (I have a spare one if
interested)
- Bits and bobs like shower trap, 3m of waste pipe and assorted waste
fittings = £10 - £15
- Silicon sealant = £2 - £5

Rest depends on a couple of things:
1. Can you tile?
If you can, then cheapo bumpy white wall tiles at £5 per sq.m from B&Q
for the walls.
If you cannot tile, then cost of tiler will make tile-board more
economic. I think they cost me £36 each and look the business if you
fit them correctly. You will need two of them and lots of silicon
where they join in the corner, plus Gripfil to stick them to the
walls.

If you already have the shower on the wall, great. If not, then
depending on what heating system you have in your house, you will need
to spend from £50 upwards for the shower.

In any event, I cannot see it costing you £400. Nearer to half that
and the results are good.

HTH
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan

"Phil" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hammer & nails to make holes in the bottom of the bucket.
Fill bucket with water of desired temp, stand underneath. One shower!

DOH!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

wrote:

BUGGER! I've just cracked the bath - mind you, I never liked it and no-one
bathed here, they just used the shower.
BUT, I'm a bit low on the ol' spons right now, and unless I'm mistaken, even
an end-of-range shower cubicle thing from B&Q is looking like the best part
of £400 all in (was £700 - how the....)

SO...it can be 'orrible moulded all in one job, shower is going in corner
where two walls join. Any ideas? Basically, we're washing-less right now.

Build a studding partition wall of mdf to make an enclosed space (if
you're losing the bath you can make it as big as you like or can
afford). Figure out a simple hinged door of glowdex or something -
you don't need sliding doors unless you're short of space. A railed
shower curtain may be quite enough. You need a shower tray, of
course, and your choice of shower unit (direct-fed or instantaneous).
Wiring and plumbing can be neatly lost in the void of the mdg
partition.

Don't tile it - stick cushion-floor on it, in a continuous run all
round - no joins if they can be avoided. If it overlaps the tray, and
is sealed on all edges, it should be waterproof. If you have to drill
through for fittings, a spot of sealant makes good.

I did this (for the bath-based shower) in my bathroom 20 years ago,
and it's still as good as new. The cushionfloor covering is in a tile
pattern, and people often touch the wall before they'll believe it
isn't tiled.

Had to take part of it down a couple of years ago to instal a
replacement shower - there wasn't the slightest trace of damp anywhere
other than under a deteriorating drain coupling. Bathroom seems
warmer too - cushionfloor isn't cold like tiles.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

The message
from "Jonathan" contains these words:

BUGGER! I've just cracked the bath - mind you, I never liked it and no-one
bathed here, they just used the shower.
BUT, I'm a bit low on the ol' spons right now, and unless I'm
mistaken, even
an end-of-range shower cubicle thing from B&Q is looking like the best part
of £400 all in (was £700 - how the....)

SO...it can be 'orrible moulded all in one job, shower is going in corner
where two walls join. Any ideas? Basically, we're washing-less right now.

Your cheapest option would be just to replace the bath with another
cheap plastic one.

--
Roger Chapman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Jonathan wrote:
BUT, I'm a bit low on the ol' spons right now, and unless I'm mistaken, even
an end-of-range shower cubicle thing from B&Q is looking like the best part
of ï½£400 all in (was ï½£700 - how the....)

Check Primrose Bathrooms on 0845 1300565 - they often sell stuff on ebay.

I got a 900mm quadrant shower enclosure with 6mm safety glass and decent
quality brushed ali frame for 99 quid! Tray was 50 and delivery 46 - so
under 150 all in. It was to do an aunts (of SWMBO) bathroom. She was
originally proposing to pay 650 for very nearly the same thing from her
local builders merchant!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Autolycus

"Jonathan" wrote in message
BUGGER! I've just cracked the bath - mind you, I never liked it and
no-one bathed here, they just used the shower.

You should perhaps also consider the effect on the value of your house,
if you were to replace the bath with a shower cubicle. When I had to
sell a house recently, I was surprised how many people were seriously
discouraged because I'd had to make this change. I'm sure it depends,
among other factors, on the house type and area, so YMMV, but it might
be worth pausing to think.

Our local free ads paper usually has several adverts from people
desperately trying to get rid of baths - or try a "wanted" on your local
Freecycle.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

In message , Jonathan
writes
BUGGER! I've just cracked the bath - mind you, I never liked it and no-one
bathed here, they just used the shower.
BUT, I'm a bit low on the ol' spons right now, and unless I'm mistaken, even
an end-of-range shower cubicle thing from B&Q is looking like the best part
of £400 all in (was £700 - how the....)

SO...it can be 'orrible moulded all in one job, shower is going in corner
where two walls join. Any ideas? Basically, we're washing-less right now.

This may not help you but, I have a *free to good home* bath with shower
standing area. Acrylic/glass fibre probably primrose. Installed 20 years
ago and then never used. At present cluttering up my workshop in central
Herts.

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Check Primrose Bathrooms on 0845 1300565 - they often sell stuff on ebay.

Will look into that - decided to bodge with fibreglass until weekend.

"Kalico" wrote in message

1. Can you tile?

Is tiling supposed to be very tricky? I keep hearing this thing about people
who can't tile, or how tricky tiling is. While I'll admit my DIY skills are
almost non-existant, when it came to doing a few rows of tiles, I bought the
tiles, cleaned the wall, divided depth and width by number of tiles needed,
scraped the adhesive about, drew a line with a spirit level, laid the tiles
with the spacers, grouted the next day and they were fine. HOWEVER, this was
on a good flat wall - I guess trickiness comes in with an uneven surface.

Again, thanks for all suggestions. If you're unlucky, I might take a pic of
whatever I go with, when it's done, so you can all point and laugh...