Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default A thing about Gas meters?

Is anyone on a gas prepayment meter with the idgital readout with software
version "4.7.16.3"? if so have you ever turned the gas of for more 24 hours
by the gas cutoff valve and then switched it back on only to find the meter
is not letting the gas back through and the digi readout is saying "Call
Help"?

When I am going out knowingly for more than 24 hours or more I tend to
switch the gas off by the valve for my piece of mind.

I done this last week sometime and had to get transco out to resolve the
problem, I'm sure this should not happen?

Thanks
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
When I am going out knowingly for more than 24 hours or more I tend to
switch the gas off by the valve for my piece of mind.

Eh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

I done this last week sometime and had to get transco out to resolve the
problem, I'm sure this should not happen?

It may be an attempt to stop people fiddling the gas by bypassing the
meter altogether - the meter might go into a "failsafe" mode if no gas
has been used.

Sounds like a real **** system though.

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Posted to uk.d-i-y
zaax

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Is anyone on a gas prepayment meter with the idgital readout with
software version "4.7.16.3"? if so have you ever turned the gas of
for more 24 hours by the gas cutoff valve and then switched it back
on only to find the meter is not letting the gas back through and the
digi readout is saying "Call Help"?

When I am going out knowingly for more than 24 hours or more I tend to
switch the gas off by the valve for my piece of mind.

I done this last week sometime and had to get transco out to resolve
the problem, I'm sure this should not happen?

What a dangerous thing to do. Pilot lights go out. Air get in to the
pipes. Joins dry out.

zaax
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

zaax wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Is anyone on a gas prepayment meter with the idgital readout with
software version "4.7.16.3"? if so have you ever turned the gas of
for more 24 hours by the gas cutoff valve and then switched it back
on only to find the meter is not letting the gas back through and the
digi readout is saying "Call Help"?

When I am going out knowingly for more than 24 hours or more I tend
to switch the gas off by the valve for my piece of mind.

I done this last week sometime and had to get transco out to resolve
the problem, I'm sure this should not happen?

What a dangerous thing to do. Pilot lights go out. Air get in to the
pipes. Joins dry out.

--

pmsl, so if the gas board come out to fix a burst main in your locality and
the gas is off for a quite a few hours in your house this is dangerous?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Colin Wilson wrote:
I done this last week sometime and had to get transco out to resolve
the problem, I'm sure this should not happen?

It may be an attempt to stop people fiddling the gas by bypassing the
meter altogether - the meter might go into a "failsafe" mode if no gas
has been used.

Sounds like a real **** system though.

It's is possible but whats not to say people can bypass the meter on the
conventional meter.

What if I decide to get a new cooker installed and the gas fitter turns the
gas off? bloody stupid if this happens each time the gas is turned off,
don't you think.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , zaax
writes
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Is anyone on a gas prepayment meter with the idgital readout with
software version "4.7.16.3"? if so have you ever turned the gas of
for more 24 hours by the gas cutoff valve and then switched it back
on only to find the meter is not letting the gas back through and the
digi readout is saying "Call Help"?

When I am going out knowingly for more than 24 hours or more I tend to
switch the gas off by the valve for my piece of mind.

I done this last week sometime and had to get transco out to resolve
the problem, I'm sure this should not happen?

What a dangerous thing to do. Pilot lights go out. Air get in to the
pipes. Joins dry out.

Joins dry out ?

WTF are you on about

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writes:

pmsl, so if the gas board come out to fix a burst main in your locality and
the gas is off for a quite a few hours in your house this is dangerous?

Yes. They have to close off the gas to every house, repressurise
and purge the mains, and then go to every house and purge the
pipework and ensure permanent pilot lamps are relit, etc.
It can take days to get the supply back on over an area.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson

"raden" wrote in message
news
In message , zaax
writes
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

[...]

This is a hark back to Town Gas produced by distilling coal, which had
a noticeable moisture content and kept Bosswhite type joints moist and
flexible. With the introduction of North Sea gas it was significantly
drier and at the change over previously sound installations were found
to leak after a few months.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , zaax
writes
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Is anyone on a gas prepayment meter with the idgital readout with
software version "4.7.16.3"? if so have you ever turned the gas of
for more 24 hours by the gas cutoff valve and then switched it back
on only to find the meter is not letting the gas back through and the
digi readout is saying "Call Help"?

When I am going out knowingly for more than 24 hours or more I tend to
switch the gas off by the valve for my piece of mind.

I done this last week sometime and had to get transco out to resolve
the problem, I'm sure this should not happen?

What a dangerous thing to do. Pilot lights go out. Air get in to the
pipes. Joins dry out.

Joins dry out ?

WTF are you on about

I think he's on one of those joins!

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr X

In article , The3rd Earl
Of Derby writes

Colin Wilson wrote:
I done this last week sometime and had to get transco out to resolve
the problem, I'm sure this should not happen?

It may be an attempt to stop people fiddling the gas by bypassing the
meter altogether - the meter might go into a "failsafe" mode if no gas
has been used.

Sounds like a real **** system though.

It's is possible but whats not to say people can bypass the meter on the
conventional meter.

What if I decide to get a new cooker installed and the gas fitter turns the
gas off? bloody stupid if this happens each time the gas is turned off,
don't you think.

And the gas-fitter takes more than 24 hours?
--
Mr X
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Mr X wrote:
In article , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes

Colin Wilson wrote:
I done this last week sometime and had to get transco out to
resolve the problem, I'm sure this should not happen?

It may be an attempt to stop people fiddling the gas by bypassing
the meter altogether - the meter might go into a "failsafe" mode if
no gas has been used.

Sounds like a real **** system though.

It's is possible but whats not to say people can bypass the meter on
the conventional meter.

What if I decide to get a new cooker installed and the gas fitter
turns the gas off? bloody stupid if this happens each time the gas
is turned off, don't you think.

And the gas-fitter takes more than 24 hours?

As it happens I do't know the precise time the problem will arise on the
meter and am
not prepared to find out after the hassle I had getting transco out to
remedy the fault.
I gave 24 hours as it had been off that long thereabouts.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr X

In article , The3rd Earl
Of Derby writes

Mr X wrote:
In article , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes

Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

Ok, I read your post to suggest that the meter problem happened after
many hours, but I agree if it happens after, say, 10 minutes, that would
be even more unacceptable.
--
Mr X
Posted to uk.d-i-y
powerstation

And the gas-fitter takes more than 24 hours?

As it happens I do't know the precise time the problem will arise on the
meter and am
not prepared to find out after the hassle I had getting transco out to
remedy the fault.
I gave 24 hours as it had been off that long thereabouts.

Ok, I read your post to suggest that the meter problem happened after
many hours, but I agree if it happens after, say, 10 minutes, that would
be even more unacceptable.
--

If you didn't use any gas at all but left it turned on at the valve wouldn't
that be the same, how can the meter possibly know the difference ?

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr X

In article ,
powerstation writes

And the gas-fitter takes more than 24 hours?

As it happens I do't know the precise time the problem will arise on the
meter and am
not prepared to find out after the hassle I had getting transco out to
remedy the fault.
I gave 24 hours as it had been off that long thereabouts.

Ok, I read your post to suggest that the meter problem happened after
many hours, but I agree if it happens after, say, 10 minutes, that would
be even more unacceptable.
--

If you didn't use any gas at all but left it turned on at the valve wouldn't
that be the same, how can the meter possibly know the difference ?

It would if it sensed the gas pressure on its input
--
Mr X

Posted to uk.d-i-y
powerstation

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article ,
powerstation writes

And the gas-fitter takes more than 24 hours?

As it happens I do't know the precise time the problem will arise on the
meter and am
not prepared to find out after the hassle I had getting transco out to
remedy the fault.
I gave 24 hours as it had been off that long thereabouts.

Ok, I read your post to suggest that the meter problem happened after
many hours, but I agree if it happens after, say, 10 minutes, that would
be even more unacceptable.
--

If you didn't use any gas at all but left it turned on at the valve
wouldn't
that be the same, how can the meter possibly know the difference ?

It would if it sensed the gas pressure on its input
--
Mr X

But unless there was a leak that pressure would be the same with the valve
open or closed !

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 08:50:23 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writes:

pmsl, so if the gas board come out to fix a burst main in your locality and
the gas is off for a quite a few hours in your house this is dangerous?

Yes. They have to close off the gas to every house, repressurise
and purge the mains, and then go to every house and purge the
pipework and ensure permanent pilot lamps are relit, etc.
It can take days to get the supply back on over an area.

Quite so, they'll even endure a massively leaking main (that someone has
tickled with a JCB, say) rather than shut the gas off. They'll monitor the
pressure and make sure they can keep the better half of normal pressure
going.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

Default Gas cut in our area - was "A thing about Gas meters?"

news

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writes:

pmsl, so if the gas board come out to fix a burst main in your locality
and
the gas is off for a quite a few hours in your house this is dangerous?

Yes. They have to close off the gas to every house, repressurise
and purge the mains, and then go to every house and purge the
pipework and ensure permanent pilot lamps are relit, etc.
It can take days to get the supply back on over an area.

Quite so, they'll even endure a massively leaking main (that someone has
tickled with a JCB, say) rather than shut the gas off. They'll monitor the
pressure and make sure they can keep the better half of normal pressure
going.

About a couple of years ago, a 12" (approx) very high pressure water main
burst and the gas main
pipeline for the town alongside it got broken / cut into as a result. The
gas main got a LOT of water
and silt injected into it and they had to cut off the gas supply to most of
the town. It took them over
two weeks ( maybe three or four) to restore gas to everybody, purging out
the water and
dusty silt - a friend even had his jets in the boiler and gas fire checked /
replaced (he doesn't know)
by the techies, as I guess all households had to, and hundreds of gas people
were drafted in from all
over the country - clusters of maybe 30 vans were commonplace at various
places around the town
as they worked on the current area to be restored - quite an amazing
exercise !
I had never heard of a gas cut before to such a widespread area - I guess it
was perhaps a few thousand
households affected

Nick
to restore service as quickly as possible

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr X

In article ,
powerstation writes

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article ,
powerstation writes

[...]

I doubt that situation would exist indefinitely.
--
Mr X
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tarquinlinbin

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 00:04:28 GMT, "Nick" wrote:

[...]

Was this in the town of Corby Northants by any chance??

http://www.no2id.org/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tarquinlinbin

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:28:15 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

As it happens I do't know the precise time the problem will arise on the
meter and am
not prepared to find out after the hassle I had getting transco out to
remedy the fault.
I gave 24 hours as it had been off that long thereabouts.

Sorry,missed the beginning of this thread,whats the problem? are we
talking gas card meters??

http://www.no2id.org/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mr X wrote:
If you didn't use any gas at all but left it turned on at the valve
wouldn't that be the same, how can the meter possibly know the
difference ?

It would if it sensed the gas pressure on its input

Aren't gas isolation valves on the output from the meter?

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr X

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes

In article ,
Mr X wrote:
If you didn't use any gas at all but left it turned on at the valve
wouldn't that be the same, how can the meter possibly know the
difference ?

It would if it sensed the gas pressure on its input

Aren't gas isolation valves on the output from the meter?

For the purposes of my reply to the other poster, if it is then change
my comment to "It would if it sensed the gas pressure on its output"
--
Mr Fle-X-ible
Posted to uk.d-i-y
powerstation

Mr X wrote:
If you didn't use any gas at all but left it turned on at the valve
wouldn't that be the same, how can the meter possibly know the
difference ?

It would if it sensed the gas pressure on its input

Aren't gas isolation valves on the output from the meter?

For the purposes of my reply to the other poster, if it is then change
my comment to "It would if it sensed the gas pressure on its output"
--

Rubbish think about what you just said !

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Aren't gas isolation valves on the output from the meter?

Not on mine.

I rebuilt my kitchen wall at the same time as the outside meter box was
installed and got my wrist gently slapped when the fitters turned up to
move the meter into the box and found it disconnected and away in the
corner for safe keeping.

--
Roger Chapman