Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fireplace installation

I have read this group and others on installing fireplaces but I still
have some questions. I have a victorian cast iron insert and wooden
surround to reinstate in a victorian house. The insert has a 'bolt-on'
cast iron fireback. My main concern is how do I fill behind the
fireback and make a nice sloping throat etc. If I detatch the fireback
and use it to shutter the infill etc. then will it not become affixed
to the concrete? I am also unsure exactly how to fix and seal the
insert to the wall. Any one know of any good websites with detailed
instructions? Or have similar experience? Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have read this group and others on installing fireplaces but I still
have some questions. I have a victorian cast iron insert and wooden
surround to reinstate in a victorian house. The insert has a 'bolt-on'
cast iron fireback. My main concern is how do I fill behind the
fireback and make a nice sloping throat etc. If I detatch the fireback
and use it to shutter the infill etc. then will it not become affixed
to the concrete? I am also unsure exactly how to fix and seal the
insert to the wall. Any one know of any good websites with detailed
instructions? Or have similar experience? Cheers.

you use a lightweight fibre type product mixed with cement to infill the
back
Jewson sell it but I don't know its name
Ask em, they'll point you in the right direction.
--
Vass