Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Gas oven thermostat failed?

We have a built-in gas oven (Electrolux EOG 660), which suddenly appears
only to be cooking at maximum temperature, which makes for interesting
mealtimes at the moment... I'm assuming it has a thermostat which has
gone phut?

Is repair likely to be diy-able? What would I be looking for, and where
is it likely to be?

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:43:49 +0000, Lobster wrote:

We have a built-in gas oven (Electrolux EOG 660), which suddenly appears
only to be cooking at maximum temperature, which makes for interesting
mealtimes at the moment... I'm assuming it has a thermostat which has
gone phut?

Is repair likely to be diy-able? What would I be looking for, and where
is it likely to be?

Thanks

I would not attempt this unless you have the manufacturers instructions
to hand. Almost certainly the 'regulo' has gone and it is very likely a
phial & capilliary tube technology.

The phial is likely to be around the top of the oven compartment.

Old ovens might use a bimetal coil acting on the valve.

Apart from the considerable dismantling likely to be needed to gain access
to swapping the parts you will need to install a gas carrying part and so
must check carefully for leaks with leak detection fluid. This could be
further complicated by the fact that you can't connect the gas up until
the unit is back in its housing and you can't see the joints when it back
in place. 8-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Ed Sirett wrote:

Apart from the considerable dismantling likely to be needed to gain
access to swapping the parts you will need to install a gas carrying
part and so must check carefully for leaks with leak detection fluid.
This could be further complicated by the fact that you can't connect
the gas up until the unit is back in its housing and you can't see
the joints when it back in place. 8-(

So what are you supposed to do - use a sniffer-corgi? g
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:58:06 +0000, Set Square wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:

Apart from the considerable dismantling likely to be needed to gain
access to swapping the parts you will need to install a gas carrying
part and so must check carefully for leaks with leak detection fluid.
This could be further complicated by the fact that you can't connect
the gas up until the unit is back in its housing and you can't see
the joints when it back in place. 8-(

So what are you supposed to do - use a sniffer-corgi? g

If the potential leak is upstream of the valve then the normal gas
tightness testing methods will work.

However in this case the valve may well be downstream of the main control.
The service manual may suggest a method of testing and/or it may be
possible to blow into the pipework with a rubber tube and so test any
disturbed joints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:43:49 +0000, Lobster wrote:

We have a built-in gas oven (Electrolux EOG 660), which suddenly appears
only to be cooking at maximum temperature, which makes for interesting
mealtimes at the moment... I'm assuming it has a thermostat which has
gone phut?

Is repair likely to be diy-able? What would I be looking for, and where
is it likely to be?

I would not attempt this unless you have the manufacturers instructions
to hand.

Well I'm pretty sure I do but...

Apart from the considerable dismantling likely to be needed to gain access
to swapping the parts you will need to install a gas carrying part

....I reckon the answer Q2 above is a pretty emphatic 'no'. Is it going
to be worthwhile getting an engineer out to look at (this is probably a
£300 oven), or given their charge-out rate, is that not likely to be
effective? (Mind you I suppose I'd still need the engineer to fit a new
one... regardless of whether I consider myself 'gas-competent' SWMBO
wouldn't be having any of it!)

David