Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Gas oven thermostat failed?

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:43:49 +0000, Lobster wrote:

We have a built-in gas oven (Electrolux EOG 660), which suddenly appears
only to be cooking at maximum temperature, which makes for interesting
mealtimes at the moment... I'm assuming it has a thermostat which has
gone phut?

Is repair likely to be diy-able? What would I be looking for, and where
is it likely to be?

Thanks

I would not attempt this unless you have the manufacturers instructions
to hand. Almost certainly the 'regulo' has gone and it is very likely a
phial & capilliary tube technology.

The phial is likely to be around the top of the oven compartment.

Old ovens might use a bimetal coil acting on the valve.

Apart from the considerable dismantling likely to be needed to gain access
to swapping the parts you will need to install a gas carrying part and so
must check carefully for leaks with leak detection fluid. This could be
further complicated by the fact that you can't connect the gas up until
the unit is back in its housing and you can't see the joints when it back
in place. 8-(