Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

Default UPVC Window architraving

Hi,

One of the upright architrave bits on my front windows managed to ping
itself off in the wind has now gone off in the skip. Can these sort of
things be bought on their own from somewhere ?

Thanks

Séan

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Séan Connolly wrote:
One of the upright architrave bits on my front windows managed to ping
itself off in the wind has now gone off in the skip. Can these sort of
things be bought on their own from somewhere ?

What's it look like? Are you just talking a length of flat uPVC? That
is certainly available from Wickes, in various widths.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

What's it look like? Are you just talking a length of flat uPVC? That is
certainly available from Wickes, in various widths.

Its the stuff that covers the metal upright of the window frame. Its
actually got an indent in it, but I guess you'd never notice if it was all
flat. Its brown as well. I'll check out Wickes though.

Can they be cut to length ?

The annoying thing is I can remember throwing it out as well, I thought it
was from the back window which we've had replaced with patio doors!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Convery

"Séan Connolly" mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk wrote in message
Hi,

One of the upright architrave bits on my front windows managed to ping
itself off in the wind has now gone off in the skip. Can these sort of
things be bought on their own from somewhere ?

Thanks

Séan

Along the same lines does anyone know the best place pick up some of the
UPVC trim that is used to bridge between the window and the wall/ interior
finish (mine are around 1-1.5" wide)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Séan Connolly wrote:
What's it look like? Are you just talking a length of flat uPVC? That is
certainly available from Wickes, in various widths.

Its the stuff that covers the metal upright of the window frame. Its
actually got an indent in it, but I guess you'd never notice if it was all
flat. Its brown as well. I'll check out Wickes though.

Can't quite visualise what you mean TBH...! Can't remember if Wickes do
brown stuff.

Can they be cut to length ?

Yes, cuts easily with a hacksaw or jigsaw

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Rob Convery wrote:
"Séan Connolly" mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk wrote in message

One of the upright architrave bits on my front windows managed to ping
itself off in the wind has now gone off in the skip. Can these sort of
things be bought on their own from somewhere ?

Along the same lines does anyone know the best place pick up some of the
UPVC trim that is used to bridge between the window and the wall/ interior
finish (mine are around 1-1.5" wide)?

That's definitely the stuff Wickes sell, which I was banging on about in
my last post!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

If you're talking about the bits that divide up a single glass pane to
look like smaller individual windows, I was told they're called "shadow
bars". They are profiled UPVC extrusions. I think you'd have better
luck contacting people who build the DG units. Several of ours have
popped off, so I bet that this was be a common request. I've stuck
some back on with double sided tape, they seem at least as secure as
the originally fitments. (I do actually hate these things, and am
contemplating pulling the whole lot off, but don't relish the
subsequent job of cleaning off the sticky goo they'd leave behind.)

No, they're the things to give windows a Georgian look. This was actually
connected to the window frame to cover up the steel underneath.

I'd try some of the local wholesalers I think

Thanks anyway

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

Can't quite visualise what you mean TBH...! Can't remember if Wickes do
brown stuff.

Here you go

http://www.drlargepants.plus.com/bay.jpg

These aren't my windows but it should help me explain. You see the upright
I've indicated on the picture, well its that bit, although its flatter in my
case.

Séan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Séan Connolly wrote:
Can't quite visualise what you mean TBH...! Can't remember if Wickes do
brown stuff.

Here you go

http://www.drlargepants.plus.com/bay.jpg

These aren't my windows but it should help me explain. You see the upright
I've indicated on the picture, well its that bit, although its flatter inmy
case.

Séan

Wickes won't sell those. I think they're called bow trims. They are
supplied flat but bend in the centre to the required angle. Mail order
plastics companies sell them but there is a minimum delivery cost
normally which will be higher than the cost of the trim. I'd say your
best bet is to pop into a local UPVC window manufacturer and buy them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

Wickes won't sell those. I think they're called bow trims. They are
supplied flat but bend in the centre to the required angle. Mail order
plastics companies sell them but there is a minimum delivery cost
normally which will be higher than the cost of the trim. I'd say your
best bet is to pop into a local UPVC window manufacturer and buy them.

Many thanks, I now know what to ask for !!

Séan