Posted to uk.d-i-y
Haymish

Default Separate gas / electricity supply application.

Hi.

We have house which has an annexe attached to it above a double garage -
both were built a long time ago so no planning issues. We were thinking of
letting the house and the annexe separately. At the moment they share a gas
and electricity supply so we want to give the annexe it's own supply. The
annexe does have it's own meter in the loft space but we are billed as one
property for all usage. We got some forms from for an application for
another supply but they are very complex and we are told that we may need an
architect to assist us with the supply applications, is this right? It all
seems very complicated for something so simple.

Any help would be appreciated regarding what we need to do.

Do we need extra planning permission?
Do we need to inform anyone?
How much should each bit cost?
Any recommended contacts / architects that may be able to assist us (we are
in Telford).

Is there anything else we should know or any pitfalls?

Many thanks.

Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
tarquinlinbin

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:01:23 GMT, "Haymish" wrote:

[...]

You dont really need separate incoming services for gas an
electricity. You could just install secondary meters andbill the
tenant yourself. Buying/installing seocndary meters would be a lot
cheaper than having separate new services laid.

http://www.no2id.org/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

tarquinlinbin wrote:
[snip]

You dont really need separate incoming services for gas an
electricity. You could just install secondary meters andbill the
tenant yourself. Buying/installing seocndary meters would be a lot
cheaper than having separate new services laid.

http://www.no2id.org/

Do you have any firm info relating to your proposal?

As I see it this is re-selling the suppliers product?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Haymish

tarquinlinbin wrote:
[...]

That thought did cross my mind and must have been how the people who lived
here b4 us did it but we really need something simple as we my be out of the
county for a while or my ex other half may have to look after the process on
her own and, by her own admission, she is not very good at dealing with
thinks like this. Also it would be unreasonable for the tenant in the house
to have to pay for the gas/leky that the tenant in the annexe has used and
then have to claim it back.

Thanks for response tho.

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Haymish wrote:

[...]

It seems you're just asking for advice about the specific issue of
separating the utilities, as opposed to the whole splitting up the house
issue. Is that right? You might conceivably require an architect for
the latter, but I really can't see why you would for the former, unless
there are particularly complicated problems specific to your situation.
Architects are very expensive!

I have experience of doing something similar (subdividing one house into
two completely separate properties) which involved laying on new
services. I'm afraid dealing with the utility companies is a massive
amount of hassle as they haven't a clue what they are doing.

There's a fair amount about this stuff in the uk.d-i-y archives: here's
one such thread: http://tinyurl.com/d995y (or
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_frm/thread/e9788d4f68369f66/e857c97e30f3ebcf?hl=en#e857c97e30f3ebcf

in which I've just consulted my own contribution as the quickest way to
check my own costs when I did it!:
Gas - 208 GBP
Electric - 734 GBP
Water - 1058 GBP

That's excluding any 'internal' costs involved, eg re-routing cables and
pipes etc.

You won't need planning permission for installing the services, but if
you are intending to set up two completely separate properties, then yes
you will, I'm afraid; Building Control may also need to be involved.
You'd also need to get the council Highways Department to approve and
'create' the new address (they then notify Royal Mail) and you have to
involve the council tax dept to get the properties valued by them and
set up all that.

Let us know more details of what you're doing and I can probably help a
bit more.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Haymish

Lobster wrote:
Haymish wrote:

[...]

Hi David

Thanks for the information. I'd completely forgotten about the water board.

You are correct, we, or rather my ex is just looking to rent both the house
to one party and the attached annexe to another party for the foreseeable
future rather than split the property in two, though, she may want to do
this at a later date.

I was trying to get some information on the best way to proceed to save her
some money as it's very tight at the moment. I did have a highly paid job
but became ill and lost it a few years ago. My ex is a carer so she doesn't
have much money coming in, consequently, most of what she is doing is being
paid for by money borrowed against the property.

We have a house which is too big for us with an annexe above a double garage
attached to the house. She wants to try to get the house to work for her so
she was going to rent the main house to a couple we know and the annexe to a
friend of theirs. They are already renting somewhere else till Feb/March
2006 and want to move in after that.

We just want the two parties to be billed separately for utilities that's
all.

Unknown to me Amy (my ex) has arranged for an architect to call round to the
house. He has said he can deal with the matter but I am a little worried
about the money side of things. Amy is not very good at dealing with
burocracy, forms and people so even though she doesn't have much money, she
will often throw large sums of it at a problem to try to get it sorted out.
The problem is she doesn't always throw the money in the right direction.

If we do go ahead with renting the house and the annexe, do you have any
idea who else we would need to inform?

I think she wanted the tenants to be billed separately for council tax too
so can we do this without splitting the property in two?

Many thanks for you input

Regards

Pete.