Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default /How much/ - steel tubing :-0

Ok, need 2 pieces of steel tube 4" X 2" X 10' These are to go across
the top of the garage walls to support some heavy loads I want to put
up in the rafters, and I don't really want to use wood.

Steel stockholders have quoted £135.75 + VAT for 5mm wall thickness.

I've spotted some pressed steel beams in B&Q that are about 3" X 3",
seam welded and galvanised that would do, but these only come in ~ 4'
lengths at about £20 a throw.

Anyone know what these are called so I can have a look around, or
suggest any strong alternatives and/or rough costs ?

Cheers

Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, need 2 pieces of steel tube 4" X 2" X 10' These are to go across
the top of the garage walls to support some heavy loads I want to put
up in the rafters, and I don't really want to use wood.

snip

Sounds like you're after "box section" then.

Try some other metal merchants, but you may need to make sure they'll
deliver to you as that will be very heavy in 5mm wall.

Have a look at http://www.shop4steel.co.uk/ also.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

wrote in message
oups.com...

snipped

I've spotted some pressed steel beams in B&Q that are about 3" X 3",
seam welded and galvanised that would do, but these only come in ~ 4'
lengths at about £20 a throw.

Anyone know what these are called so I can have a look around, or
suggest any strong alternatives and/or rough costs ?

Cheers

Paul.

================
They're probably 'Catnic' lintels. Ask at you local builders' merchants for
sizes, specifications and prices.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

In article , The3rd Earl
Of Derby wrote:
Go to an aerial suppliers these sell all manner of Steel&Aluminium poles.

Not for going across a garage to hang heavy loads off!

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Tony Bryer wrote:
In article , The3rd
Earl Of Derby wrote:
Go to an aerial suppliers these sell all manner of Steel&Aluminium
poles.

Not for going across a garage to hang heavy loads off!

Erm! the steel poles are equivalent to 'scaffolding', what sort of weight
are we talking here as it really hasn't been mentioned, just "heavy load"?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

In article , Fred wrote:
You find that for a given profile shape that price goes up with weight
so say 3mm will be 60% of the price of 5mm. If you can make do with a
lighter section then go for it. Bet the B&Q stuff is a mm or less.

The fundamental question is what load is this beam to take. Box sections
are not particularly efficient when compared with I sections since a lot
of the steel is not being used to advantage.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

In article , The3rd Earl
Of Derby wrote:
Erm! the steel poles are equivalent to 'scaffolding', what sort of
weight are we talking here as it really hasn't been mentioned, just
"heavy load"?

I was guessing at lifting an engine out of a car ... At a quick check a
3m scaffold pole will take about 100kg as a centre static point load.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Tony Bryer wrote:
In article , The3rd
Earl Of Derby wrote:
Erm! the steel poles are equivalent to 'scaffolding', what sort of
weight are we talking here as it really hasn't been mentioned, just
"heavy load"?

I was guessing at lifting an engine out of a car ... At a quick check
a 3m scaffold pole will take about 100kg as a centre static point
load.

This to me suggest somethiing like...doors,wood,boxes of heavy stuff.

"support some heavy loads I want to put
up in the rafters".
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Cross

If you are near Rochdale, I have a maybe 10ft ( I'm at work ) scaffold pole
that will prob do for one of your supports, foc but you have to take it
away. If interested I'll measure it at the weekend.

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Cross wrote:
If you are near Rochdale, I have a maybe 10ft ( I'm at work ) scaffold pole
that will prob do for one of your supports, foc but you have to take it
away. If interested I'll measure it at the weekend.

Thanks for the thought and offer, but i'm in Hampshire.

Wasn't really looking at scaffold poles, due to the 'roundness' of
them, whereas square or rectangular bar would sit on the wall quite
happily.

Cheers

Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
somebody

In message .com,
writes
Ok, need 2 pieces of steel tube 4" X 2" X 10' These are to go across
the top of the garage walls to support some heavy loads I want to put
up in the rafters, and I don't really want to use wood.

Steel stockholders have quoted £135.75 + VAT for 5mm wall thickness.

I've spotted some pressed steel beams in B&Q that are about 3" X 3",
seam welded and galvanised that would do, but these only come in ~ 4'
lengths at about £20 a throw.

Anyone know what these are called so I can have a look around, or
suggest any strong alternatives and/or rough costs ?

Cheers

Paul.

Hi Paul,

if you're going to be looking on the web for suitable materials etc, it
is easier if you know the terminology.

I can't claim to be an expert, I was sort of forced into understanding
it by engineers drawings for loading calculations for our impending loft
conversion.

For you and I, "Box Section" = SHS (Steel Hollow Section)
For you and I, "C Section" = PFC (Parallel Flange Channel)

etc etc

UB also has its own sectional definition (AIUI it could be close to "I"
section).

What we all used to call "box section", "I section", "C section" etc all
now have their own posh names and acronyms.

If you Google for some of the acronyms you should find some suppliers
(as I had to with these drawings for this loft). You should at least be
able to find some price indications and know what you could be getting
for your money, even it is OTT for your needs.

Hth

P.S. We should now both expect a flood of replies on here telling us my
acronyms are wrong :-)
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
Don't really want to go less than 4mm wall thickness, to avoid bowing
in the centre of the beam but will go and have a look for a small I
section RSJ too.

I'd go for a secondhand RSJ or UB. The supplier will cut to length. Will
be a bit OT but probably cheaper than a new box section.

--
*Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil

Yup - SHS = Square hollow section
RHS = Rectangluar hollow section etc...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil wrote:
RHS = Rectangluar hollow section etc...

Gawd, why do I see a load of google references to "Wisley" in my near
future ;-)

P.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Phil wrote:
RHS = Rectangluar hollow section etc...

Gawd, why do I see a load of google references to "Wisley" in my near
future ;-)

P.

Any off-cuts of SHS or RHS could be sunk into the ground and used to
contain the roots of e.g. a clump of mint.

MBQ