Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Default Cavity insulation - non-insulated adjoining property

I know cavity wall insulation is discussed fairly regularly here, but
I can't recall this aspect being covered recently. If it has, I
apologise.

I have the chance to have my home cavity insulated on a grant. I'm
encouraged by the grant, less encouraged by the fact it seems to push
me towards a single installer.

But my main problem is that my neighbour in the adjoining house
(semi-detached single-storey houses) doesn't have and doesn't want
cavity insulation. That means that if I have it installed, there has
to be some dividing line where my insulation ends. I'm concerned this
may cause dampness at the 'edge' and lead to complaints from my
neighbour.

Any views or experience?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I know cavity wall insulation is discussed fairly regularly here, but
I can't recall this aspect being covered recently. If it has, I
apologise.

I have the chance to have my home cavity insulated on a grant. I'm
encouraged by the grant, less encouraged by the fact it seems to push
me towards a single installer.

But my main problem is that my neighbour in the adjoining house
(semi-detached single-storey houses) doesn't have and doesn't want
cavity insulation. That means that if I have it installed, there has
to be some dividing line where my insulation ends. I'm concerned this
may cause dampness at the 'edge' and lead to complaints from my
neighbour.

Any views or experience?

John

yours stops at the party wall. A divider is inserted first. I dont see
how that would cause damp.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:20:33 +0000, David Hearn
wrote:

| wrote:
| John wrote:
|
| I know cavity wall insulation is discussed fairly regularly here, but
| I can't recall this aspect being covered recently. If it has, I
| apologise.
|
| I have the chance to have my home cavity insulated on a grant. I'm
| encouraged by the grant, less encouraged by the fact it seems to push
| me towards a single installer.
|
| But my main problem is that my neighbour in the adjoining house
| (semi-detached single-storey houses) doesn't have and doesn't want
| cavity insulation. That means that if I have it installed, there has
| to be some dividing line where my insulation ends. I'm concerned this
| may cause dampness at the 'edge' and lead to complaints from my
| neighbour.
|
| Any views or experience?
|
| John
|

| yours stops at the party wall. A divider is inserted first. I dont see
| how that would cause damp.
|
| NT
|
| I wondered though how they fit the divider? I assume that the cavity
| must be open in the roof then, giving some access to add the divider.

They did not fit a divider when our walls were filled with foam, Our next
door neighbour just got some free wall insulation. Neither of us had any
substantial problems.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:16:47 +0000, John wrote:

I have the chance to have my home cavity insulated on a grant....

Thanks people. Can't see how they'd put a divider in my house - a
problem some years ago revealed that our stone soffits allow no access
to the cavity.

I'm letting it go anyway - for the time being at least. Going to need
a new CH boiler soon and, grant notwithstanding, after doing the sums
I just can't afford both.

Thanks for the input though. Isn't a subject I know that much about.

John