Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul S

Default Sealant Advice

Can anyone recommend a sealant or other type of adhesive that I can use to
fix the secondary glass panel back onto the door of an electric cooker.
Obviously the high temperatures are the main consideration.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Paul S wrote:
Can anyone recommend a sealant or other type of adhesive that I can use to
fix the secondary glass panel back onto the door of an electric cooker.
Obviously the high temperatures are the main consideration.

Silicone.

Is the secondary panel the outside one?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul S

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Paul S wrote:
Can anyone recommend a sealant or other type of adhesive that I can use

fix the secondary glass panel back onto the door of an electric cooker.
Obviously the high temperatures are the main consideration.

Silicone.

Is the secondary panel the outside one?

No it is the inside one. There is a metal frame that it sits in (part of the
door) but it needs to be fixed to this frame.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Can anyone recommend a sealant or other type of adhesive that I can use to
fix the secondary glass panel back onto the door of an electric cooker.
Obviously the high temperatures are the main consideration.

Special high temperature silicone is available for just this application.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Paul S wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
Paul S wrote:
Can anyone recommend a sealant or other type of adhesive that I can use
fix the secondary glass panel back onto the door of an electric cooker.
Obviously the high temperatures are the main consideration.

Silicone. Is the secondary panel the outside one?

No it is the inside one. There is a metal frame that it sits in (part of the
door) but it needs to be fixed to this frame.

If the sealant is just that, 'cos the frame keeps the glass in,
use silicone sealant (make sure it's really silicone! I would
use the neutral-cure stuff) - it will resist up to 260C for
short periods, more than most ovens go to. You can get special
"high temperature" silicones, but there's not a lot of
difference, and they tend to have disadvantages (such as
"plumba" only being available in bright red). You can always
test a bit, in yours, or someone else's, oven.... smear some
onto a coin or something, let it "go off", and bake it.