Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Rainbird

Default Single to double sockets

Is there any reason why I shouldn't replace the 3 single sockets in my house
with doubles?

I assume I can easily (and legally!) do it myself?

Why would anybody install single sockets in the first place?

--
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble

Steve Rainbird said the following on 21/11/2005 08:46:
Is there any reason why I shouldn't replace the 3 single sockets in my house
with doubles?

I assume I can easily (and legally!) do it myself?

Why would anybody install single sockets in the first place?

No reason at all why you shouldn't replace singles with doubles if you
feel confident to do so.

If you don't want to dig out the plaster and brickwork for double
back-boxes, you can buy converters he

although, they are not as flush as normal socket plates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Steve Rainbird wrote:
Is there any reason why I shouldn't replace the 3 single sockets in my
house with doubles?

Assuming a standard final ring circuit, no.

I assume I can easily (and legally!) do it myself?

It depends. If they are chased into brick, etc, you'll have to be very
careful not to damage the cable when chasing out for the new box. In a dry
lined wall it should be much easier, but again be very careful not to
damage the cable. I've got no comment about the legality of it.

Why would anybody install single sockets in the first place?

Cheapness.

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Why would anybody install single sockets in the first place?

It was common years ago because people only had a vacuum cleaner and maybe a
radio. These days, I would only use them for connecting fixed appliances
(where I don't particularly want to chop off the plug for an FCU) and in
hallways, where they are less intrusive and you really will only be plugging
in one vacuum cleaner at a time.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why would anybody install single sockets in the first place?

It was common years ago because people only had a vacuum cleaner and maybe a
radio. These days, I would only use them for connecting fixed appliances
(where I don't particularly want to chop off the plug for an FCU) and in
hallways, where they are less intrusive and you really will only be plugging
in one vacuum cleaner at a time.

Christian.

Last time I did that, it soon had 3 appliances running on it. We're in
an age where the number of plugs is ever rising, so dont fit singles
unless for some odd reason you have to. Imho doubles are somewhat
inadequate, but I've not yet seen anything better.

A surface mounting double socket is one more option to replace a flush
single.

NT