Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
Lobster

Default Recommended dustproof mobile phone or case?

My mobile (11 months old) appears to have expired, almost certainly due
to continuous exposure to building dust etc. I always kept it in the
provided case, but particularly since this had a 1 cm hole in the middle
to allow access to a damn-fool joystick button (it's a Sony Ericsson
K500i), I don't think it helped much.

When I get my next phone, can anyone recommend a decent range of
dustproof cases for use in inhospitable environments? Or even a
particular model of phone?

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks
David

PS If anyone knows how to get inside the casing of a Sony Ericsson K500i
in order to give it a good clean, please let me know! There appear to
be no screw heads anywhere, so it's probably a case of prising it open
somehow - obviously very risky in the absence of any guidance!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
Grunff

Lobster wrote:
My mobile (11 months old) appears to have expired, almost certainly due
to continuous exposure to building dust etc. I always kept it in the
provided case, but particularly since this had a 1 cm hole in the middle
to allow access to a damn-fool joystick button (it's a Sony Ericsson
K500i), I don't think it helped much.

When I get my next phone, can anyone recommend a decent range of
dustproof cases for use in inhospitable environments? Or even a
particular model of phone?

Or any other suggestions?

How about a waterproof case?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AQUAPAC-WATERPROOF-MOBILE-PHONE-CASE_W0QQitemZ4591312663QQcategoryZ15263QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
strawberry

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

nokia 5210. u wont regret it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
bland

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

AIUI bick dust hasn't any effect on electronics at all, unless its wet.
The main thing to look for is bad battery connections that might have got
dust between the metal contacts, or the same at the SIM card. Both of these
should be easy to access.

bland

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
Rick

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:42:07 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

My mobile (11 months old) appears to have expired, almost certainly due
to continuous exposure to building dust etc. I always kept it in the
provided case, but particularly since this had a 1 cm hole in the middle
to allow access to a damn-fool joystick button (it's a Sony Ericsson
K500i), I don't think it helped much.

When I get my next phone, can anyone recommend a decent range of
dustproof cases for use in inhospitable environments? Or even a
particular model of phone?

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks
David

PS If anyone knows how to get inside the casing of a Sony Ericsson K500i
in order to give it a good clean, please let me know! There appear to
be no screw heads anywhere, so it's probably a case of prising it open
somehow - obviously very risky in the absence of any guidance!

I have a Nokia, which has been run over by a tractor, and still works.
I would stick to the simple ones, without cameras, and openers etc.
Alternativly just pick up an old 10 quid job every 6 months or so.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
J B

"strawberry" wrote in message

nokia 5210. u wont regret it.

NK 5140 is better IMHO

The ring is louder than a 5210, which can be important in a 'working'
environment.

--

J B

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

You can get all sorts of nice little accessory bags and cases from
opticians, photographic and outdoor shops

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "strawberry" saying
something like:

nokia 5210. u wont regret it.

Though a bit long in the tooth now, they're tough little buggers and
just keep on working after being dropped, soaked, run over. Nothing
fancy about them, just a basic phone that keeps on going.
--
Dave
GS850x2 SE6a