Posted to uk.d-i-y
Naich

Default Baxi boiler problems

We moved into a new house about 4 months ago, which has got a Baxi 105E
combi boiler. It's just over 4 years old and was serviced yearly by the
previous owners.

Although it seems to work fine, it leaks. Probably about 100ml a week.
It's coming out of the radiator water because I have to keep opening the
valve to keep the pressure up. I had the cover off and it looks like the
water is coming from deep within it's bowels.

Is this the sort of thing I could have a go at fixing myself? Plumbing is
not my strong point. Jen phoned up a plumber (who comes with several
recommendations) who told her over the phone that we'll probably need a
new boiler. I'm a bit wary of phone diagnoses that result in large
expense, so I'm not sure whether to trust them or not. I would expect a
boiler to last longer than 4 years.

Any advice? Thanks.

Naich.
--
http://www.fuzzyblobs.com .......... My blurry pics.
http://www.maggenhoof.co.uk/thoday . Improving our new dump.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:45:40 +0000, Naich wrote:

We moved into a new house about 4 months ago, which has got a Baxi 105E
combi boiler. It's just over 4 years old and was serviced yearly by the
previous owners.

Although it seems to work fine, it leaks. Probably about 100ml a week.
It's coming out of the radiator water because I have to keep opening the
valve to keep the pressure up. I had the cover off and it looks like the
water is coming from deep within it's bowels.

Is this the sort of thing I could have a go at fixing myself? Plumbing is
not my strong point. Jen phoned up a plumber (who comes with several
recommendations) who told her over the phone that we'll probably need a
new boiler. I'm a bit wary of phone diagnoses that result in large
expense, so I'm not sure whether to trust them or not. I would expect a
boiler to last longer than 4 years.

Any advice? Thanks.

It's a known problem (a bad batch?). I forget what the offending item
was, but I had the same trouble with my 105E of about the same
vintage. My heating engineer arranged for HeatTeam to fix it and it
took about 20 mins to do.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

[...]

At 4 years old even being a Poxi-Batterton unit it should be fixable for
much less than the cost of a new boiler.

If all else fails I think the manufactuers have a service division
possible called 'Heat Team'. They should be able to fix a leak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Naich

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Ed Sirett wrote:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:45:40 +0000, Naich wrote:

Any advice? Thanks.

At 4 years old even being a Poxi-Batterton unit it should be fixable for
much less than the cost of a new boiler.

If all else fails I think the manufactuers have a service division
possible called 'Heat Team'. They should be able to fix a leak.

Thanks (and to Frank) for the advice. I'll give Poxi a ring. Their site
says they do repairs for a fixed fee, so if it's a known problem then that
should be possible I guess.

Naich.
--
http://www.fuzzyblobs.com .......... My blurry pics.
http://www.maggenhoof.co.uk/thoday . Improving our new dump.
http://www.veggiefoodguide.co.uk ... Time for some nice food.
http://www.sodwork.com ............. Right. I've had enough.
Motto: Smile - Its The Second Best Thing you can do with Your Lips.

Baxi Bermuda problems Steve UK diy 2 October 22nd 05 07:03 PM
Boiler TP valve problems? Linc Vannah Home Repair 9 May 8th 04 02:20 AM
Condensing Boiler problems Mika UK diy 36 March 13th 04 07:32 PM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Old Baxi WM 531 RS boiler problem David Hearn UK diy 8 December 1st 03 06:58 PM