Liz

Default Slab Insulation 'R' values for tonight.

While I am burning the midnight oil I would be really grateful if
someone has the R values for
Wickes 50mm General Purpose Slab Insulation and
Wickes 30mm Heavy Density Slab Insulation.
Thanks if possible,
Liz.
Peter Taylor

"Liz" wrote in message
While I am burning the midnight oil I would be really grateful if
someone has the R values for
Wickes 50mm General Purpose Slab Insulation and
Wickes 30mm Heavy Density Slab Insulation.
Thanks if possible,
Liz.

LOL! I'd love to hear the answers you'd get if you went into a Wickes and
asked that.

Most brands of insulation have similar R values for similar materials. I
have figures for a few makes. Can you give any further details about it
(i.e. polystyrene, polyisocyanate, mineral wool, whatever) as Wickes don't
have any details on their pretty useless website.

Liz

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 00:55:46 -0000, "Peter Taylor"
wrote:

"Liz" wrote in message
.. .
While I am burning the midnight oil I would be really grateful if
someone has the R values for
Wickes 50mm General Purpose Slab Insulation and
Wickes 30mm Heavy Density Slab Insulation.
Thanks if possible,
Liz.

LOL! I'd love to hear the answers you'd get if you went into a Wickes and
asked that.

Most brands of insulation have similar R values for similar materials. I
have figures for a few makes. Can you give any further details about it
(i.e. polystyrene, polyisocyanate, mineral wool, whatever) as Wickes don't
have any details on their pretty useless website.

Oh dear, thanks for replying, Peter, but I fell asleep. The items are
in the catalogue and in the insulation pdf, but these two don't have
the R value quoted. I would expect it to be on the outer shrink
wrapping if you happened to have some.
Ah well, another dawn, another day and off we go.
Thank You
Liz
chris French

In message , Liz
writes
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 00:55:46 -0000, "Peter Taylor"
wrote:

"Liz" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Ring Wickes?

Telephone: 0870 6089001
--
Chris French

Andy Wade

Liz wrote:

The items are in the catalogue and in the insulation pdf, but these
two don't have the R value quoted.

Do they quote a k value (thermal conductivity in W/mK)? If so then R is
just the thickness (in metres) divided by k.

If we're talking about expanded polystyrene then k will be about 0.034
W/mK so, for the 50 mm material, R will be about 0.05/0.034 i.e. about
1.4 to 1.5 m^2K/W - and so on. The high density material will probably
have a higher k value - 0.04 W/mK perhaps.

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:33:26 +0000, chris French wrote:

In message , Liz
writes
wrote:

"Liz" wrote in message
[...]

What! are you a secret salesman for the telephone company?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Liz wrote:
While I am burning the midnight oil I would be really grateful if
someone has the R values for
Wickes 50mm General Purpose Slab Insulation and
Wickes 30mm Heavy Density Slab Insulation.

I've got half a pack of slabs of Wickes Flexi Insulation (Rockwool);
1125 x 600 x 50mm - is that the stuff?

R value is given as 1.30 m2K/W at 50mm

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
meshaw

Liz
the wickes insulation slabs are made to spec by knauf - the knauf
absorption data is as below:
Absorption co - efficients - S = Solid Backing - C = Cavity
Rocksil Slabs
Thickness RS33
125Hz 250Hz 500Hz 1000Hz 2000Hz 4000Hz NRC
40S 0.16 0.45 0.82 1.00 1.00 1.00 0.82
50S 0.10 0.60 0.90 1.00 1.00 1.00 0.88
60S 0.22 0.75 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 0.94
75S 0.24 0.53 0.89 0.94 0.96 0.98 0.83
100S 0.39 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00

Thickness RS45
125Hz 250Hz 500Hz 1000Hz 2000Hz 4000Hz NRC
25S 0.05 0.25 0.55 0.75 0.9 1.00 0.61
40S 0.14 0.40 0.87 1.00 1.00 1.00 0.82
50S 0.25 0.65 1.05 1.10 1.05 0.95 0.96
75S 0.50 1.05 1.20 1.15 1.10 0.95 1.13
100S 0.80 1.15 1.20 1.15 1.15 1.00 1.16
50C 0.45 0.95 0.80 0.95 0.95 1.00 0.91

Thickness RS60
25S 0.10 0.20 0.65 0.85 1.00 0.90 0.68
40S 0.13 0.49 0.95 1.00 1.00 1.00 0.86
50S 0.25 0.65 1.05 1.10 1.10 0.95 0.98
75S 0.55 1.10 1.20 1.15 1.15 1.05 1.15
50C 0.45 0.90 0.80 0.90 0.95 0.95 0.89

Thickness RS80
25S 0.06 0.23 0.56 0.88 1.00 1.00 0.67
40S 0.14 0.61 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 0.90
50S 0.16 0.72 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 0.93
60S 0.25 0.90 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 0.98
75S 0.39 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00
100S 0.59 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00

Thickness RS100
25S 0.05 0.30 0.70 0.95 1.05 1.00 0.75
40S 0.12 0.44 0.88 1.00 1.00 1.00 0.83
50S 0.35 0.85 1.10 1.10 1.15 1.10 1.05
75S 0.44 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00
50C 0.65 0.95 0.80 0.90 0.95 1.00 0.90

Thickness RS128
125Hz 250Hz 500Hz 1000Hz 2000Hz 4000Hz NRC
50S 0.40 0.90 1.00 1.00 1.00 0.95 0.98
50C 0.65 0.80 0.85 0.95 0.95 1.00 0.89

Thickness RS140
125Hz 250Hz 500Hz 1000Hz 2000Hz 4000Hz NRC
50S 0.40 0.90 1.15 1.05 1.10 0.95 1.05
50C 0.65 0.80 0.85 0.95 0.95 1.00 0.89

Thickness RS200
125Hz 250Hz 500Hz 1000Hz 2000Hz 4000Hz NRC
50S 0.40 0.50 0.70 0.70 0.70 0.70 0.65

Rocksil Insulation Mat
Thickness
125Hz 250Hz 500Hz 1000Hz 2000Hz 4000Hz NRC
150 0.70 1.20 1.24 1.13 1.14 1.18 1.18
100 0.40 0.88 1.03 0.99 1.06 1.11 0.99
80 0.31 0.83 0.96 0.98 1.04 1.14 0.95
60 0.25 0.60 0.83 0.89 0.96 1.04 0.82

Rocksil Studio Mattress
Thickness
125Hz 250Hz 500Hz 1000Hz 2000Hz 4000Hz NRC
50S 0.25 0.65 1.05 1.10 1.05 0.95 0.96
50C 0.45 0.95 0.80 0.95 0.95 1.00 0.91
S= Solid Backing - C = cavity
the wickes general purpose slab will probably correlate to RS45
(45kg/m3) 50S (mm)and the heavy density slab to RS200 (yes 200kg/m3)
but at 30mm as oppose to 50mm - i too was very interested to see this
data - as far i can see it basically means the 50mm general purpose
slab, much lower density will perform much better than the 30mm HD slab
with the exception perhaps of the 125hz low frequency.
The best of all for acoustic purpose would be the 85mm cavity wall
slabs which at RS45 appear to be excellent performers, but surprisingly
arent branded by wickes for the particular purposes of acoustic
insulation - they seem to push the heavy density slabs when infact they
arent the best performers, but are quite handy if your after saving an
inch or two!!
cheers
ME Shaw

u values, insulation. legin UK diy 2 May 19th 04 03:18 PM
Radiant Heat in Slab -- HELP! Tom Newton Home Repair 25 March 19th 04 02:37 AM
Radiant Heat in Slab - HELP! Tom Newton Home Ownership 9 February 6th 04 01:53 PM
Best possible insulation for 2x4 walls? _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Home Ownership 4 January 24th 04 11:40 AM
Preserving cross-grain slab Matt Poese Woodworking 1 August 29th 03 08:34 PM