Andrew Gabriel

Default Oh, the stench

Came home after a weekend away, and there was the most unbelieveable
stench in the house, like something had died, and it would have had
to be something substantial at that. Oh damn, forgot to empty the
kitchen bin, I thought, which had the remains of a piece of roast
pork from Wednesday or Thursday last week. Tackled the bin, but it
didn't really smell that much at all, and I didn't think it was the
source of the pong. Smell showed no sign of going, and it was very
difficult to tell where it was coming from -- it had reached into
every corner of the house. Started going through the kitchen,
looking for something that had gone off, or some bowl or pan which
had been put away accidently with food in it, but nothing.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, smell was coming from the fridge,
but not inside the fridge. Pulled out the fridge, and then realised
what had happened. I had put the pork on the carving board, on top
of the fridge, which serves as an extra bit of worktop. The juice
from the meat had overflowed the well in the carving board and
spilled onto the fridge, which I had cleaned up. What I hadn't
noticed is that a significant amount had run to the back of the
worktop and spilled down the rear of the fridge. There it had
mostly been caught by the condensate collection tray on top of
the compressor, where it had mixed with condensate draining out
of the fridge, and then sat at probably the ideal bug breeding
temperature all weekend, and boy, did the bugs breed ;-)
However, the stink was also coming from the trail down the back
of the fridge, behind the hot condensor, which made cleaning it
off extremely difficult. Hopefully, it's all gone now, at last.

--
Andrew Gabriel
purple pete

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Many years ago when I owned a Fiesta I noticed this strange smell coming
from somewhere within the cabin area of the car but could not find anything
untoward. About a week passed and the smell got worse until it was fairly
unbearable IMHO. Lent car to a friend who found the smell - turned out to
be a piece of chicken which had been frozen at my Mums place and had been
transported to my house in a carrier bag (obviously it slipped out without
my knowledge and i had not noticed it missing at the time as there was more
than one piece). It had defrosted and gone off under the drivers seat and I
swear I loooked there as the smell got worse.

Came home after a weekend away, and there was the most unbelieveable
stench in the house, like something had died, and it would have had
to be something substantial at that. Oh damn, forgot to empty the
kitchen bin, I thought, which had the remains of a piece of roast

snip

another snip

Had a fridge/freezer die on me that was similar - got back after a
week away to a strong "meat cooking smell". It turned out that the
freezer compartment had failed and was in fact quite a warmish
temparature. All the meats in the freezer had been slowly cooking for
god knows how long. I sealed the fridge/freezer and took it to the
council dump (while trying not to gag). grim.

David Hearn

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

[...]

Quick summary of an experience when my wife was at uni in a student house.

4 week Easter holiday.
Students trying to save money emptied and turned off fridge, door open.
Return 4 weeks later to horrible stench.
Noticed maggots covering the floor of the stairs and kitchen.
Lots of flies in house.
More maggots in fridge (including condensate drain).
Remains of 4 decomposed sausages found in fridge.
Housemate hadn't completely emptied fridge (and was last to arrive back
after most had been cleared up!)
Smell remained in house for days, in fridge for months.
Didn't walk bare footed in that house again.

Ah, roast Pork, my favourite. It is the closest I can get to human
Then Lamb, then Beef.
chris.

The Natural Philosopher

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:25:53 -0000, purple pete wrote:

[...]

I had a similar experience in my old cottage. Looked everywehere. Found
nothing. Eventually the smell faded.

Then I went off to a motor race one day and grabbed my camera bag off the
floor...and discovered the mummified remains of the mouse the cat had
brought in, that had crawled under it to die...;-)