Default Oh, the stench

Came home after a weekend away, and there was the most unbelieveable
stench in the house, like something had died, and it would have had
to be something substantial at that. Oh damn, forgot to empty the
kitchen bin, I thought, which had the remains of a piece of roast

snip

another snip

Had a fridge/freezer die on me that was similar - got back after a
week away to a strong "meat cooking smell". It turned out that the
freezer compartment had failed and was in fact quite a warmish
temparature. All the meats in the freezer had been slowly cooking for
god knows how long. I sealed the fridge/freezer and took it to the
council dump (while trying not to gag). grim.