AJB

Default Sparking netural..

Tweaking some lighting, I turned off the mcb for the LX circuit and
opened a pendant fitting. Double-checked with a neon 'driver - not live,
is says. Unscrewed one of the neutrals. As I do so it sparks quite
impressively. Why?

(I chickened out and turned off the whole house supply in the end. Wife
really enjoyed that on a Sunday evening...)

It was a pretty common pendant arrangement - four cables - incoming
L/N/E feed. Outgoing feed. Cable to switch. Cable for pendant fitting.

A spark must means there's current flowing - but where from? I did
wonder whether the 12v transformers for the halogens might have caused
it?
The watcher

Neon driver! Bin it! They are the work of the devil and about as
reliable as a Politician. IMHO you have either isolated the wrong
circuit or you may have a borrowed neutral. Either way...get help I feel
that you may need it.

john

wrote in message ...
On 13 Nov,
AJB wrote:

Tweaking some lighting, I turned off the mcb for the LX circuit and
opened a pendant fitting. Double-checked with a neon 'driver - not live,
is says. Unscrewed one of the neutrals. As I do so it sparks quite
impressively. Why?

(I chickened out and turned off the whole house supply in the end. Wife
really enjoyed that on a Sunday evening...)

It was a pretty common pendant arrangement - four cables - incoming
L/N/E feed. Outgoing feed. Cable to switch. Cable for pendant fitting.

A spark must means there's current flowing - but where from? I did
wonder whether the 12v transformers for the halogens might have caused
it?

Crossed neutrals. I had the landing light connected to th downstairs live
and
the upstairs neutral. Discoverd this (loft lights were connected to
landing
light) when I was moving an upstairs light. Big flash and darkness in the
loft when I disconnected the supposedly dead neutral. Wiring had been done
by
a well known building Co., nic/iec registered, so part Pee compliant???.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

You will have a test certificate so report the company to the health &
safety executive.

:::Jerry::::

"AJB" wrote in message
Tweaking some lighting, I turned off the mcb for the LX circuit and
opened a pendant fitting. Double-checked with a neon 'driver - not

live,
is says. Unscrewed one of the neutrals. As I do so it sparks quite
impressively. Why?
snip

You're a frecking good example why we now have Part Pi(iss)...

John Rumm

AJB wrote:

Tweaking some lighting, I turned off the mcb for the LX circuit and
opened a pendant fitting. Double-checked with a neon 'driver - not live,
is says. Unscrewed one of the neutrals. As I do so it sparks quite
impressively. Why?

A couple of possibilities...

As others have said there may be a crossed circuit of some description.

A spark must means there's current flowing - but where from? I did
wonder whether the 12v transformers for the halogens might have caused
it?

You did not say where you got the spark from (i.e. if it was to the
neutral connector itself, or to earth). If it was to earth you need to
remember that a neutral ought to be regarded as a live conductor. It may
have a voltage on it that is some way away from earth potential. How far
will depend on how "stiff" the supply to your property is and how many
other properties share "your" neutral. The result is that it can be a
few volts above ground - certainly enough to pass a reasonble current to
earth.

--
Cheers,

John.

Peter Stockdale

"John Rumm" wrote in message
You did not say where you got the spark from (i.e. if it was to the
neutral connector itself, or to earth). If it was to earth you need to
remember that a neutral ought to be regarded as a live conductor. It may
have a voltage on it that is some way away from earth potential. How far
will depend on how "stiff" the supply to your property is and how many
other properties share "your" neutral. The result is that it can be a few
volts above ground - certainly enough to pass a reasonble current to
earth.

--
Cheers,

John.

Yup it was certainly enough to throw my glasshouse breaker when earth was
touching neutral on an otherwise disconnected circuit.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com