john

Default Sparking netural..

wrote in message ...
On 13 Nov,
AJB wrote:

Tweaking some lighting, I turned off the mcb for the LX circuit and
opened a pendant fitting. Double-checked with a neon 'driver - not live,
is says. Unscrewed one of the neutrals. As I do so it sparks quite
impressively. Why?

(I chickened out and turned off the whole house supply in the end. Wife
really enjoyed that on a Sunday evening...)

It was a pretty common pendant arrangement - four cables - incoming
L/N/E feed. Outgoing feed. Cable to switch. Cable for pendant fitting.

A spark must means there's current flowing - but where from? I did
wonder whether the 12v transformers for the halogens might have caused
it?

Crossed neutrals. I had the landing light connected to th downstairs live
and
the upstairs neutral. Discoverd this (loft lights were connected to
landing
light) when I was moving an upstairs light. Big flash and darkness in the
loft when I disconnected the supposedly dead neutral. Wiring had been done
by
a well known building Co., nic/iec registered, so part Pee compliant???.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

You will have a test certificate so report the company to the health &
safety executive.