Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Default Damp in garage part II

Background: Garage floods to 1/4" deep through end wall whenever it
rains.

Tonight I went to see the gut that owns the patio but he was out.
However, I climbed up and looked over his fence.

It appears as though there *is* 6" of gravel around his patio although
I'm unsure how deep it is. The soil round here is clay and I suspect
the gravel doesn't go very deep. The top of the gravel is about level
with the DPC.

Up against the back of the garage he's contructed one of those small
wooden cupboard for storing garden tools in. There appears to be a 1"
gap between this and the garage wall.

He has painted the garage wall in something that is white and slightly
shiny-it's either gloss paint or masonry paint-it's difficult to tell
what as the bricks are rough.

Obviously, if the gravel around the patio isn't deep enough this could
cause the water in the garage.

However, could the wooden garden store cause any problems? I'd have
thought if anything it would keep damp off the wall, rather than
encourage it as it isn't actually touching the wall.

What about the paint? Would this cause the mini flood in my garage
everytime it rains?

Wouldn't the paintwork slow the flow of water through the wall?

Obviously I'm going to have to gain access to see what is going on but
I want to have a rough idea of what to look for before I go.

sponix

Damp in garage sPoNiX UK diy 38 November 8th 05 12:37 PM
Damp Chimney Breast Sebastien UK diy 1 August 28th 04 01:16 AM
garage rebuilding and party wall agreements (long) Witchy UK diy 0 March 20th 04 01:59 PM
Building an Extension (Garage and Block Selection) Andrew Welham UK diy 12 January 3rd 04 10:12 AM
Building a garage above public sewer (UK) Capitol UK diy 3 July 15th 03 11:43 PM