Stuart

Default Specs For Building Shelf Bracket

In order to give me more floor space in a spare room I am building
some shelves out of 2" x2" with boards across the top .
What i am proposing is to screw a piece in to the brick vertically
with another length on top (outwards ) with a third piece at an angle
from under the top piece to in front of the vertical piece to form a
triangular bracket .What i wondered was if there is any particular
formula for the sizes of each piece .I'll be making the top to suit
the board .They are 5.25" so i'll be using two of them to make a 10.5"
shelf.
tia
Stuart .

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.
John Rumm

Stuart wrote:

In order to give me more floor space in a spare room I am building
some shelves out of 2" x2" with boards across the top .
What i am proposing is to screw a piece in to the brick vertically
with another length on top (outwards ) with a third piece at an angle
from under the top piece to in front of the vertical piece to form a
triangular bracket .What i wondered was if there is any particular

That should work - a sort of "gallows bracket".

formula for the sizes of each piece .I'll be making the top to suit
the board .They are 5.25" so i'll be using two of them to make a 10.5"
shelf.

Much depends on how much weight you will be putting on the shelf. For
ligherter stuff then just a small triangular section would be fine. For
something heavey like a TV then I would be tempted to bring the "brace"
out to two thirds of the depth of the shelf from the wall.

The length of the upright will govern the amount of "pull" the shelf can
have on the fixings. The longer it is the stronger it will be.

(ASCII art alert - use a fixed width font)

So ordinary shelf:

=====================
#################
# #
# #
##
#
#

Extra strong self:

#
#
#
#
#=====================
#################
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
# #
#
#

--
Cheers,

John.

Set Square

Stuart wrote:

In order to give me more floor space in a spare room I am building
some shelves out of 2" x2" with boards across the top .
What i am proposing is to screw a piece in to the brick vertically
with another length on top (outwards ) with a third piece at an angle
from under the top piece to in front of the vertical piece to form a
triangular bracket .What i wondered was if there is any particular
formula for the sizes of each piece .I'll be making the top to suit
the board .They are 5.25" so i'll be using two of them to make a 10.5"
shelf.
tia
Stuart .

Sounds to me like a case of re-inventing the wheel. Why not just get some of
these - http://tinyurl.com/djves - 12 quid for 20? Screw the 300 bit to the
wall, and the 250 bit will nicely support the shelf. Depending on the length
and loading of the shelves, use 2, 3 or 4 brackets per shelf - as
appropriate.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Stuart

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 17:05:16 -0000, "Set Square"

Stuart wrote:

[...]

I had thought of those but I also intended to use the inner part of
the made up brackets to store some lengths of mouldings etc .
I might still use both tho'
Stuart

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Glass shelf specs Jim B. Woodworking 7 August 23rd 05 02:37 AM
shelf bracket Paul \( Skiing8 \) UK diy 2 May 18th 05 11:31 AM
This Old Shelf? Tom Watson Woodworking 4 May 2nd 05 04:09 AM
my first builtin shelf... Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 4 March 1st 05 03:06 PM
Neanderthal-style Shelf Installation (long) Patrick Olguin Woodworking 11 April 5th 04 03:39 AM