Junior Member

Location: Lymington Hampshire
Default Flooring my Conservatory (Nightmare)!!

Hi everyone, we have been in our new house for almost a year now and have just got to the point of laying a tiled floor with underfloor heating (warmup cable) in the conservatory. When pulling up the old laminate floor we discovered that the sewage inspection cover was under the floor. Now my thought's are to run the heating cable around the cover but what can I do about tiling it. We are hoping that we can still use the tiles and underfloor heating as putting any other type of heater will take up valuble space. Any thought's or ideas much appreciated.
Rick

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 10:19:26 +0000, Alec
wrote:

Hi everyone, we have been in our new house for almost a year now and
have just got to the point of laying a tiled floor with underfloor
heating (warmup cable) in the conservatory. When pulling up the old
laminate floor we discovered that the sewage inspection cover was under
the floor. Now my thought's are to run the heating cable around the
cover but what can I do about tiling it. We are hoping that we can
still use the tiles and underfloor heating as putting any other type of
heater will take up valuble space. Any thought's or ideas much
appreciated.

I have a cover in my kitchen floor, what we did is

1) ensure cover is of the "airtight variety"

2) board over the whole floor

3) fix down top layer.

The BIG issue is that if it ever blocks, we need a new floor, so far
it has not blocked. We also know where the other covers are, so the
drainbusters can get to all the pipes without this cover opeining.

Rick

fred

In article , Alec Alec.1y2m8q@diybanter.
com writes

--

You can get very neat inspection covers that will take tiles. If you match
the line of tiles across the cover then all you will see will be the thin metal

Sorry I don't have a suggestion for sources as I have only seen them used,
not used them myself. A google or a trip to a builders' merchant should get
you started.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

fred wrote:

You can get very neat inspection covers that will take tiles. If you match
the line of tiles across the cover then all you will see will be the thin metal
lines of the frame. It will be more work (ensuring frame not proud etc) and
the frame may remind *you* of what is below but it is the right way to do it.

Sorry I don't have a suggestion for sources as I have only seen them used,
not used them myself. A google or a trip to a builders' merchant should get
you started.

I guess you can also paint the visible metal edge to match the floor,
for low visibility.

NT

Peter Taylor

wrote:

[...]

That's a stupid idea, as well as against Building Regulations. YOU might
know there's an inspection chamber under the floor, but how will anyone
else?

The best thing to do is to change the fitting inside the chamber to the type
with a bolt-down lid, like this: http://tinyurl.com/7nfry and then you
don't need an airtight cover and you can use a simple recessed cover. But
that's probably too much work for a bodger.

dennis@home

"fred" wrote in message ...

You can get very neat inspection covers that will take tiles. If you match
the line of tiles across the cover then all you will see will be the thin
metal
lines of the frame. It will be more work (ensuring frame not proud etc)
and
the frame may remind *you* of what is below but it is the right way to do
it.

Thats what I have in my conservatory.
Double sealed with inset for tiles.. about £20 from Travis Perkins when I
bought it.

They look fine and screw down so there is little chance of a leak.

Junior Member

Location: Lymington Hampshire

Thanks for the replies. I will get a flush cover to fit the tiles in so then I can get the cover up and also retain the underfloor heating. Now what could I use as a way of lifting the cover with it being tiled?
Steve Walker

Peter Taylor wrote:

That's a stupid idea, as well as against Building Regulations. YOU might
know there's an inspection chamber under the floor, but
how will anyone else?

The best thing to do is to change the fitting inside the chamber
to the type with a bolt-down lid, like this:
http://tinyurl.com/7nfry and then you don't need an airtight
cover and you can use a simple recessed cover. But that's
probably too much work for a bodger.

I'm sure you're right Peter, but despite your evident outrage I'm afraid
that very few people would wish to have a visible sewer pipe in their
kitchen floor. I bought a house where one had been covered, the vendors
told me where it was if ever needed and I was perfectly happy with that.

Peter Taylor

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Peter Taylor wrote:

That's a stupid idea, as well as against Building Regulations. YOU might
know there's an inspection chamber under the floor, but
how will anyone else?

The best thing to do is to change the fitting inside the chamber
to the type with a bolt-down lid, like this:
http://tinyurl.com/7nfry and then you don't need an airtight
cover and you can use a simple recessed cover. But that's
probably too much work for a bodger.

I'm sure you're right Peter, but despite your evident outrage I'm afraid
that very few people would wish to have a visible sewer pipe in their
kitchen floor. I bought a house where one had been covered, the vendors
told me where it was if ever needed and I was perfectly happy with that.

Well, you were lucky then. What would you have done if your drains had
blocked one Christmas morning? That's what happened to our neighbours and
they DIDN'T know where the manhole was!

And you don't have a "visible sewer pipe" - all you see is the brass or S/S
rim of the recessed manhole cover flush with the finished flooring. If you
don't like that then you have to do the job properly and relay the drains
and move the manhole outside.

I don't think anyone on this ng would suggest bodging the electrics,
plumbing or gas, so why is a stupid cheapskate bodge on the drains OK?