Graham Jones

Default Fresh air!

Having recently moved to a house with PVCu double gazing I have noticed
how stuffy the environment inside the house is now that the windows are
closed for Winter. The wife is also complaining how tired she is and how
stale the air seems. My previous home was quite draughty.

I could simply install an air brick in each room but this would allow
the cold and traffic noise to enter. I do quite like the sealed
environment double galzing gives.

So any suggestions on creating a fresher feel inside the house would be
more than welcome.

Thanks

Graham
Alex

Graham Jones wrote:
Having recently moved to a house with PVCu double gazing I have noticed
how stuffy the environment inside the house is now that the windows are
closed for Winter. The wife is also complaining how tired she is and how
stale the air seems. My previous home was quite draughty.

I could simply install an air brick in each room but this would allow
the cold and traffic noise to enter. I do quite like the sealed
environment double galzing gives.

So any suggestions on creating a fresher feel inside the house would be
more than welcome.

Surely it's not that cold that you can't open them a bit, at least some
of the time?

--
Alex Meaden
Technical Support Officer
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Alex wrote:
Graham Jones wrote:
Having recently moved to a house with PVCu double gazing I have
noticed how stuffy the environment inside the house is now that the
windows are closed for Winter. The wife is also complaining how
tired she is and how stale the air seems. My previous home was quite
draughty.

I could simply install an air brick in each room but this would allow
the cold and traffic noise to enter. I do quite like the sealed
environment double galzing gives.

So any suggestions on creating a fresher feel inside the house would
be more than welcome.

Surely it's not that cold that you can't open them a bit, at least
some of the time?

Yep! it ain't winter just yet. Nice breeze coming from me back window into
living room.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Graham Jones

Alex wrote:
Graham Jones wrote:

Having recently moved to a house with PVCu double gazing I have
noticed how stuffy the environment inside the house is now that the
windows are closed for Winter. The wife is also complaining how tired
she is and how stale the air seems. My previous home was quite draughty.

I could simply install an air brick in each room but this would allow
the cold and traffic noise to enter. I do quite like the sealed
environment double galzing gives.

So any suggestions on creating a fresher feel inside the house would
be more than welcome.

Surely it's not that cold that you can't open them a bit, at least some
of the time?

True but I don't want to have to remember to check the windows before I
leave the house. I more permanent solution would be better.

Graham Jones wrote:
Having recently moved to a house with PVCu double gazing I have noticed
how stuffy the environment inside the house is now that the windows are
closed for Winter. The wife is also complaining how tired she is and how
stale the air seems. My previous home was quite draughty.

I could simply install an air brick in each room but this would allow
the cold and traffic noise to enter. I do quite like the sealed
environment double galzing gives.

So any suggestions on creating a fresher feel inside the house would be
more than welcome.

HRV, it provides ventilation with partial heat recovery. If traffic
noise is a major issue, a sound absorbing labyrinth is impressively
effective.

All this sealing up is a rather unhealthy trend imho.

NT

Cicero

"Graham Jones" wrote in message
Alex wrote:
Graham Jones wrote:

Having recently moved to a house with PVCu double gazing I have
noticed how stuffy the environment inside the house is now that the
windows are closed for Winter. The wife is also complaining how tired
she is and how stale the air seems. My previous home was quite

draughty.

I could simply install an air brick in each room but this would allow
the cold and traffic noise to enter. I do quite like the sealed
environment double galzing gives.

So any suggestions on creating a fresher feel inside the house would
be more than welcome.

Surely it's not that cold that you can't open them a bit, at least some
of the time?

True but I don't want to have to remember to check the windows before I
leave the house. I more permanent solution would be better.

=================
Have a look at the locking catches on your windows. They can usually be
locked with the window fractionally open (about 1/4") to provide trickle
ventilation. Have a look for some kind of groove in the fixed locking
plate(s). If yours don't have this facility consider replacing a few with
new ones to get the desired effect. When locked in the trickle vent position
they're almost as secure as when fully locked.

Cic.

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Graham Jones wrote:
Having recently moved to a house with PVCu double gazing I have noticed
how stuffy the environment inside the house is now that the windows are
closed for Winter. The wife is also complaining how tired she is and how
stale the air seems. My previous home was quite draughty.

I could simply install an air brick in each room but this would allow
the cold and traffic noise to enter. I do quite like the sealed
environment double galzing gives.

So any suggestions on creating a fresher feel inside the house would be
more than welcome.

I have the same problem. No ventilation anywhere apart from one bedroom
which meant the bathroom fan used this as it's only source of fresh air.

I was about to go down the air-brick route, even got the things from B&Q
as I couldn't find any suppliers of "Trickle vents" to fit as an after
market addition to the bedroom windows... then, my good lady decided to
ask the brother in-law who works for a double-glazing firm and he
arrived with a handful. Might be worth contacting a local Double glazing
firm to see if they can flog you some.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
John Schmitt

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 12:30:32 -0000, Graham Jones
wrote:

So any suggestions on creating a fresher feel inside the house would be
more than welcome.

Have you tried an ionizer? While it is not certain that it is crank
science or not, my ex-boss found it worked to quell his hayfever. A unit
costs somewhere about UKP40, possibly worth a try.

http://www.djclarke.co.uk/

is but one of many.

John Schmitt

Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

| Having recently moved to a house with PVCu double gazing I have noticed
| how stuffy the environment inside the house is now that the windows are
| closed for Winter. The wife is also complaining how tired she is and how
| stale the air seems. My previous home was quite draughty.
|
| I could simply install an air brick in each room but this would allow
| the cold and traffic noise to enter. I do quite like the sealed
| environment double galzing gives.
|
| So any suggestions on creating a fresher feel inside the house would be
| more than welcome.

Have you tried turning the thermostat(s) down a bit?
The windows should have a opening which allows some ventilation.
This 1/2inch by 15 inches gap, in my house windows provided too much
ventilation, so I have blocked most of it off with some 12mm stripwood.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk

Rob Morley

In article , John49
@mdx.ac.uk says...
wrote:

So any suggestions on creating a fresher feel inside the house would be
more than welcome.

Have you tried an ionizer? While it is not certain that it is crank
science or not, my ex-boss found it worked to quell his hayfever.

They're good at removing fine particles from the air, definitely not
cranky, but probably not much good if humidity is a major part of the
problem.
Keith G. Powell

"Graham Jones" wrote in message
Having recently moved to a house with PVCu double gazing I have noticed
how stuffy the environment inside the house is now that the windows are
closed for Winter. The wife is also complaining how tired she is and how
stale the air seems. My previous home was quite draughty.

I could simply install an air brick in each room but this would allow the
cold and traffic noise to enter. I do quite like the sealed environment
double galzing gives.

So any suggestions on creating a fresher feel inside the house would be
more than welcome.

Thanks

Graham

Perhaps extractor/intractor fans fitted with a heat exchanger such as those
made by Baxi may solve your problem?

Keith G. Powell

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Rob Morley wrote:

They're good at removing fine particles from the air, definitely not
cranky,

As you will notice by the amount of dirt and crap that sticks to them
and everything else within close proximity.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Christian McArdle

Having recently moved to a house with PVCu double gazing I have noticed
how stuffy the environment inside the house is now that the windows are
closed for Winter. The wife is also complaining how tired she is and how
stale the air seems. My previous home was quite draughty.

Well, the best (but not cheapest or easiest) solution is heat recovery
ventilation, which means that the outgoing manky humid air is used to heat
the clean fresh incoming air, which is much more comfortable and much more
energy efficient.

I could simply install an air brick in each room but this would allow
the cold and traffic noise to enter. I do quite like the sealed
environment double galzing gives.

If you have well ventilated floor cavities, then venting from there into the
room provides a simple method, without introducing excessive draughts or
noise.

Christian.

Rob Morley

In article , PeTe33
@gymratz.co.uk says...
Rob Morley wrote:

They're good at removing fine particles from the air, definitely not
cranky,

As you will notice by the amount of dirt and crap that sticks to them
and everything else within close proximity.

Indeed - place them on something that's easy to clean or disposable.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Graham Jones wrote:
Having recently moved to a house with PVCu double gazing I have noticed
how stuffy the environment inside the house is now that the windows are
closed for Winter. The wife is also complaining how tired she is and how
stale the air seems. My previous home was quite draughty.

Must be quite old DG. All modern stuff has (adjustable) vents above the
windows.

--
*No sentence fragments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

wrote:

Having recently moved to a house with PVCu double gazing I have noticed
how stuffy the environment inside the house is now that the windows are
closed for Winter. The wife is also complaining how tired she is and how

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When you find out the cause make sure you patent the solution before
someone rips off this money spinning winner.
(:-)

Graham

chris French

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Graham Jones wrote:
Having recently moved to a house with PVCu double gazing I have noticed
how stuffy the environment inside the house is now that the windows are
closed for Winter. The wife is also complaining how tired she is and how
stale the air seems. My previous home was quite draughty.

Must be quite old DG.

All modern stuff has (adjustable) vents above the
windows.

The UPVC DG in my last house was installed in 2000 - not old in my book,
it didn't have trickle vents.
--
Chris French

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Graham Jones wrote:
Having recently moved to a house with PVCu double gazing I have noticed
how stuffy the environment inside the house is now that the windows are
closed for Winter. The wife is also complaining how tired she is and how
stale the air seems. My previous home was quite draughty.

Must be quite old DG. All modern stuff has (adjustable) vents above the
windows.

It's an option when you order it.

--
Andrew Gabriel