Colin Wilson

Default push-fit stop-ends ?

I just discovered our shower's leaking where it enters the mixer valve
on the wall - i`ve tried tightening up the connections on it, but its
still oozing (its one of the cheap plastic things British Gas were
fitting ~15 years ago as freebies with multipoints)

Just to make life a little more difficult, access is very limited, and
the chrome feeder pipes are sunk into a celcon wall - consequently,
the wall is, to put it bluntly, a wet dissolving sponge.

I can probably cap the feeds to the shower without too much difficulty
(I know we`d be without one for a while, but the bathroom needs a damn
good revamp anyway).

How reliable are push-fit stop-ends ? - should I throw a few more
quid at the problem and buy myself a blowtorch and solder it up ?

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****

Colin Wilson wrote:
I just discovered our shower's leaking where it enters the mixer valve
on the wall - i`ve tried tightening up the connections on it, but its
still oozing (its one of the cheap plastic things British Gas were
fitting ~15 years ago as freebies with multipoints)

Just to make life a little more difficult, access is very limited, and
the chrome feeder pipes are sunk into a celcon wall - consequently,
the wall is, to put it bluntly, a wet dissolving sponge.

I can probably cap the feeds to the shower without too much difficulty
(I know we`d be without one for a while, but the bathroom needs a damn
good revamp anyway).

How reliable are push-fit stop-ends ? - should I throw a few more
quid at the problem and buy myself a blowtorch and solder it up ?

Providing the end of the tubing is free of solder or dents then
push-fits are fine.

Colin Wilson wrote:
I just discovered our shower's leaking where it enters the mixer valve
on the wall - i`ve tried tightening up the connections on it, but its
still oozing (its one of the cheap plastic things British Gas were
fitting ~15 years ago as freebies with multipoints)

Just to make life a little more difficult, access is very limited, and
the chrome feeder pipes are sunk into a celcon wall - consequently,
the wall is, to put it bluntly, a wet dissolving sponge.

I can probably cap the feeds to the shower without too much difficulty
(I know we`d be without one for a while, but the bathroom needs a damn
good revamp anyway).

How reliable are push-fit stop-ends ? - should I throw a few more
quid at the problem and buy myself a blowtorch and solder it up ?

When I say free of solder I mean solder lumps, a coat of solder isn't a
problem.

Chris Bacon

Colin Wilson wrote:
How reliable are push-fit stop-ends ? - should I throw a few more
quid at the problem and buy myself a blowtorch and solder it up ?

Yes, I would - it's only a couple of quid, you get an unquestionable
result, and you've got the tool for further plumbing/heat spannering/
general titting about with things.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Colin Wilson writes:
I just discovered our shower's leaking where it enters the mixer valve
on the wall - i`ve tried tightening up the connections on it, but its
still oozing (its one of the cheap plastic things British Gas were
fitting ~15 years ago as freebies with multipoints)

Just to make life a little more difficult, access is very limited, and
the chrome feeder pipes are sunk into a celcon wall - consequently,
the wall is, to put it bluntly, a wet dissolving sponge.

I can probably cap the feeds to the shower without too much difficulty
(I know we`d be without one for a while, but the bathroom needs a damn
good revamp anyway).

How reliable are push-fit stop-ends ? - should I throw a few more
quid at the problem and buy myself a blowtorch and solder it up ?

Pushfit work fine for this purpose. Make sure outside of pipe
is deburred (ideally, cut with a wheeled pipe cutter) so you
don't damage the O-ring. Also, they don't claim to reliably
grip chrome -- take it off the copper with steel wool. Make
sure you get releasable ones (although that might present a
possible non-child-proof risk if you have young children
around the house).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Colin Wilson

How reliable are push-fit stop-ends ? - should I throw a few more
quid at the problem and buy myself a blowtorch and solder it up ?

Thanks for the answers chaps, the only place i`m likely to be able to
get to the pipework is hard up against the wall just behind the side
panel, and its copper at this point...

Hopefully it really would just be a temp measure, as we`ve got 22mm
pipework in for most of it, and I suspect i`m going to drop that to
15mm (as advised originally by the guy who fitted our combi) when we
rip out the existing...

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Doctor Drivel

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
Colin Wilson writes:
I just discovered our shower's leaking where it enters the mixer valve
on the wall - i`ve tried tightening up the connections on it, but its
still oozing (its one of the cheap plastic things British Gas were
fitting ~15 years ago as freebies with multipoints)

Just to make life a little more difficult, access is very limited, and
the chrome feeder pipes are sunk into a celcon wall - consequently,
the wall is, to put it bluntly, a wet dissolving sponge.

I can probably cap the feeds to the shower without too much difficulty
(I know we`d be without one for a while, but the bathroom needs a damn
good revamp anyway).

How reliable are push-fit stop-ends ? - should I throw a few more
quid at the problem and buy myself a blowtorch and solder it up ?

Pushfit work fine for this purpose.

I have seen them shoot off like a bullet and stick in the wall opposite,
releasing a full open end. Use a brass compression stop end.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ws.net,
"Doctor Drivel" writes:

I have seen them shoot off like a bullet and stick in the wall opposite,

For some reason, that doesn't suppise me.
Most of the rest us manage plumbing without
your trail of disasters though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
SimonJ

Pushfit work fine for this purpose.

I have seen them shoot off like a bullet and stick in the wall opposite,

No you haven't.

nightjar

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .

Pushfit work fine for this purpose.

I have seen them shoot off like a bullet and stick in the wall opposite,
releasing a full open end. Use a brass compression stop end.

They are not intended for hydraulic pressure systems, which is about the
only use that could produce that result.

Colin Bignell

nightjar

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
I just discovered our shower's leaking where it enters the mixer valve
on the wall - i`ve tried tightening up the connections on it, but its
still oozing (its one of the cheap plastic things British Gas were
fitting ~15 years ago as freebies with multipoints)

Just to make life a little more difficult, access is very limited, and
the chrome feeder pipes are sunk into a celcon wall - consequently,
the wall is, to put it bluntly, a wet dissolving sponge.

I can probably cap the feeds to the shower without too much difficulty
(I know we`d be without one for a while, but the bathroom needs a damn
good revamp anyway).

How reliable are push-fit stop-ends ? - should I throw a few more
quid at the problem and buy myself a blowtorch and solder it up ?

I've been using one as a temporary measure in the loft for three years now
without problems. (It is one of those round tuit jobs that will eventually
give me another outside tap). Just ensure that the pipe is clean and free
from all burrs before you fit it.

Colin Bignell

Doctor Drivel

"Doctor Drivel" writes:

I have seen them shoot off like a bullet and stick in the wall opposite,

For some reason, that doesn't suppise me.
Most of the rest us manage plumbing without
your trail of disasters though.

These were on sites. I never fitted them, as I would not be so silly as to
do such a thing as fit a pushfit stop end.

Doctor Drivel

"SimonJ" wrote in message
Pushfit work fine for this purpose.

I have seen them shoot off like a bullet and stick in the wall opposite,

No you haven't.

You must making things up.

Doctor Drivel

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .

Pushfit work fine for this purpose.

I have seen them shoot off like a bullet and stick in the wall opposite,
releasing a full open end. Use a brass compression stop end.

They are not intended for hydraulic pressure systems, which is about the
only use that could produce that result.

It was in a normal house. Avoid them and use a compression and do it
properly.

Doctor Drivel

[...]

Another potential disaster waiting to happen. Change it for a compression
now.

Brian Sharrock

"SimonJ" wrote in message
Pushfit work fine for this purpose.

I have seen them shoot off like a bullet and stick in the wall opposite,

No you haven't.

This'd make an episode of CSI ....
Hmmm, how far away was the wall .... (opposite implies room-width ..)?
How high off the floor was the end-stop? [Now matter how fast the
exit velocity -good old 'g' 32 ft/sec/sec will pull the end-stop to the
floor]
How far into the wall did the plastic end-stop penetrate ... ?
{ there's an implication that it must've been ~10mm for the device to
remain 'stuck' in the wall )
What was the pressure of water acting on the end-stop to provide
the motive force ? [ 15mm diameter circle offer how much surface
area? ]
What material was the wall made of ? Blu-Tack? Double sided sticky tape?

The world wonders ...

--

Brian

Brian Sharrock

[...]

Me too ! After you with the round tuit, ... but not too soon?
I cut the pipe with a cutter and used one of those devices
for cleaning pipes that's a plastic barrel with a 15mm hole
at one end and a 22mm hole at the other, inside the barrels are lots of
sandpaper(?) radial flaps that scour and clean the inserted pipe end
after a few twists. Pushed the end-stop onto the truncated pipe ...
crossed fingers ... enabled water (mains pressure) and ....
nothing , no leaks, no seepage , no retightening, it just sits there
stopping water flow.

--

Brian

Matt

"Brian Sharrock" wrote:

What material was the wall made of ? Blu-Tack? Double sided sticky tape?

The walls? Usually padded and slightly damp in Dribble's case.

Doctor Drivel

"Matt" aka Lord Hall wrote in message
"Brian Sharrock" wrote:

What material was the wall made of ? Blu-Tack? Double sided sticky tape?

The walls?

Lord Hall, why are you using two accounts?

David

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
Colin Wilson writes:
[...]

Yes but you have been told to get someone to do theses things for you
John, it probably slipped on the swarfe created by your hacksaw.

Use a brass compression stop end.

--
David
nightjar

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

I've been using one as a temporary measure in the loft for three years
now
without problems. (It is one of those round tuit jobs that will
eventually
give me another outside tap). Just ensure that the pipe is clean and free
from all burrs before you fit it.

Another potential disaster waiting to happen. Change it for a compression
now.

I have been using push-fit fittings on airlines working at 7 bar for years
without problems. If you have a problem with them, you are not using them
properly.

Colin Bignell

Doctor Drivel

"David" wrote in message
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

Colin Wilson writes:
[...]

Bertie, do you keep seeing the shadows?

Doctor Drivel

[...]

Which is tripe of course. If you have not had problems then you are a lucky
man. The grab ring occasionally don't grab properly. When pressure is off
and on the grab rings can tension and untension.

nightjar

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
enews.net...

[...]

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Colin Bignell

Doctor Drivel

[...]

Believe me sunshine, I bloody well do.

Colin Wilson

How reliable are push-fit stop-ends ? - should I throw a few more
quid at the problem and buy myself a blowtorch and solder it up ?

Thanks for the answers chaps, the only place i`m likely to be able to
get to the pipework is hard up against the wall just behind the side
panel, and its copper at this point...

I went with the compression fittings, although I did have a couple of
push-fits to hand in case I was too limited by space contraints.

It was tight as a knats' chufty trying to nip them up, but there`s no
sign of seepage several hours later.

* I managed to shear a plastic reducer nut at the shower end, so just
capped it to resolve the problem.

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
nightjar

[...]

I have been using push-fit fittings on air lines for around 20 years and
have about a couple of hundred in use in my factories. They cycle from zero
to 7 bar pressure five days a week, 51 weeks a year. The airlines have an
annual statutory inspection and a monthly maintenance inspection and I have
never had so much as a minor leak from them. With all outlets closed, the
system will not produce any measurable drop in pressure over a one hour test
period. You should believe me when I say that, if you have had problems, it
is because you are not using them properly.

Colin Bignell

SimonJ

[...]

If you really think push fittings are unsafe, then I would advise you not to
venture anywhere near a public road. Push fittings are used throughout the
braking system on heavy trucks, working at up to 10 bar, and cycling on and
off pressure every time the brakes are applied. I have never known a push
fitting fail under these conditions, they occasionally leak slightly if used
to repair a pipe that has been painted, and they can sometimes jam and
refuse to release the pipe, but I have never know one blow out.

Matt

"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote:

I have been using push-fit fittings on air lines for around 20 years and
have about a couple of hundred in use in my factories. They cycle from zero
to 7 bar pressure five days a week, 51 weeks a year. The airlines have an
annual statutory inspection and a monthly maintenance inspection and I have
never had so much as a minor leak from them. With all outlets closed, the
system will not produce any measurable drop in pressure over a one hour test
period. You should believe me when I say that, if you have had problems, it
is because you are not using them properly.

Colin, in case you didn't realise it you just met the resident troll.
No matter what your experience Dr Drivel (or Dribble as he is known in
some circles) will always "know better"

Matt

"SimonJ" wrote:

If you really think push fittings are unsafe, then I would advise you not to
venture anywhere near a public road. Push fittings are used throughout the
braking system on heavy trucks, working at up to 10 bar, and cycling on and
off pressure every time the brakes are applied. I have never known a push
fitting fail under these conditions, they occasionally leak slightly if used
to repair a pipe that has been painted, and they can sometimes jam and
refuse to release the pipe, but I have never know one blow out.

Dribble is only allowed out under the direct supervision of two very
experienced carers and only then when his drug regime is stable.
Usually he just plays on the swings and the roundabouts as long as
there are no other children in the vicinity - 50 year olds acting like
2 year olds tend to make people freak out in real life whereas on the
internet Dribble can appear as sane as timegoesby, IMM, Adam, ***** or
**-*.

Most of the time he is kept indoors safely under lock and key where he
spends all day, every day, reading leaflets and fantasizing about dual
combis, cheap tools and the time when he burnt the nursery to the
ground and the fire engines turned up en-masse (hence his fascination
with water leaking from pipes)

Doctor Drivel

"Matt" aka Lord Hall wrote in message
"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote:

I have been using push-fit fittings on air lines for around 20 years and
have about a couple of hundred in use in my factories. They cycle from

zero
to 7 bar pressure five days a week, 51 weeks a year. The airlines have an
annual statutory inspection and a monthly maintenance inspection and I

have
never had so much as a minor leak from them. With all outlets closed, the
system will not produce any measurable drop in pressure over a one hour

test
period. You should believe me when I say that, if you have had problems,

it
is because you are not using them properly.

Colin,

Lord Hall, you are at it again. You try to be more fun.

Doctor Drivel

"SimonJ" wrote in message

[...]

I have more failures with them than any other type of fitting. The hard of
thinking use them.

nightjar

"Matt" wrote in message
Colin, in case you didn't realise it you just met the resident troll.

Yep, but I was bored.

Colin Bignell

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
If you really think push fittings are unsafe,

I have more failures with them than any other type of fitting. The hard
of thinking use them.

You seem to have failures regularly.

Hacksaw. Plastic pipe. Say no more.

--
*Procrastinate now

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Lobster

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

If you really think push fittings are unsafe,

I have more failures with them than any other type of fitting. The hard
of thinking use them.

You seem to have failures regularly.

Hacksaw. Plastic pipe. Say no more.

Anyone ever tried googling this newsgroup for "hacksaw+plastic+pipe" etc
etc? It's quite funny to scroll through the google output screen:

http://tinyurl.com/bm5q9 or
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=hacksaw+(pushfit+OR+speedfit+OR+%22plasti c+pipe%22)+group:uk.d-i-y&start=0&scoring=d&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&num=70&

David
Doctor Drivel

"Matt" wrote in message
Colin, in case you didn't realise it you just met the resident troll.

Yep, but I was bored.

...and prattling ********.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
If you really think push fittings are unsafe,

I have more failures with them than any other type of fitting. The hard
of thinking use them.

You seem to have failures regularly.

With pushfit yes. It is clear you don't know what they are.

snip senility

CH. push fit stop ends Peter Lynch UK diy 6 October 3rd 05 09:37 PM
LG DVC6500 behaves like 'stop' button pressed with DVD HandyMan Electronics Repair 3 October 1st 05 07:29 PM
Stop cock leaking Rich UK diy 7 September 29th 03 01:45 PM
Low water pressure and stop tap? Simom UK diy 1 July 24th 03 06:19 PM
Slow leak on compression joint - can't access stop cock The Natural Philosopher UK diy 4 July 10th 03 02:34 PM