Gio

Default Painting Oil Impregnated Doors

Sorry if this arrives on the group more than once but my ISP newsgroup
account does not seem to be working so I am attempting to access via
Google Groups.

Anyway, wonder if someone could advise me on the best method of
tackling the
problem?

My son of 16 years old has decided that his wardrobe doors do not fit
in
with his bedroom colour scheme and wants to paint them along with the
cabinet. We have no objections to that -anything for an easy life when
dealing with a teenager- but because the doors and cabinet appear to
be
veneered and at some time in the past have been treated with what I can
only
assume to be a type of teak oil. Can he just paint on a primer of some
sort
or wash them down with a solvent after light sanding etc ?

Gio

Chris Bacon

Gio wrote:
doors and cabinet appear to be veneered and at some time in the past
have been treated with what I can only assume to be a type of teak oil.

Use a primer that contains linseed oil.
Gio

Thanks Rob and Chris for the replies. I will be nipping out in a few
minutes up to either Wicks or B+Q to see what they have in the way of
the two types of primer you suggest. Between writing the message and
getting a reply I tried lightly sanding an area on the rear of one of
the doors and wiping the dust off with a cloth containing white spirit.
I painted the prepped area with a vinyl silk emulsion but found that
the paint formed a rubberised skin in contact with the wood but after 4
hours had not really dried and simply wiping a finger across the
surface, just lifted the paint in sheet form. I just scraped the rest
of the paint off with a scraper. I will let you know the latest once I
get a proper primer.

Gio

Gio wrote:
I will be nipping out in a few
minutes up to either Wicks or B+Q to see what they have in the way of
the two types of primer you suggest.

Gio

According to the instructions on my tin of teak oil, you must strip
back to bare timber, using white spirit and fine wire wool, sanding
along the grain, even if you only wish to reapply oil. I suggest that
this would apply with even greater force if you want to paint the
timber.

Having spent the greater part of 2 weeks painting, repainting,
stripping, stain blocking and repainting a wall in my living room (6
times) I've come to the conclusion that it's better not to improvise,
but to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Tony.

Chris Bacon

tonybo wrote:
Gio wrote:
I will be nipping out in a few

minutes up to either Wicks or B+Q to see what they have in the way of
the two types of primer you suggest.

According to the instructions on my tin of teak oil, you must strip
back to bare timber, using white spirit and fine wire wool, sanding
along the grain, even if you only wish to reapply oil. I suggest that
this would apply with even greater force if you want to paint the
timber.

Doesn't "teak oil" osidise to provide a protective film like
linseed oil does?

Dulux Trade undercoat contains linseed oil, AFAIR.