Default french doors and floor levels

Yes, I know it's "french windows", but everyone calls them doors.
Regarding PVCu double glazed doors, e.g. screwfix 1800x2100.
These have a plastic cill on the floor similar to window exterior
cills. I presume these are usually installed such that you have a ledge
to step over when entering or exiting. Is it OK to install such that
the floor level is higher inside than out, and the step down is in line
with the door ? In other words, interior floor level almost flush with
the doors, exterior ground level a step down. This would look good. It
may be the usual way for all I know !
Is this idea OK, or should I forget it ?
Simon.

Chris Bacon

Lobster wrote:
DPC needs to be above internal floor level.

Below, shurelie?
Séan Connolly

No, they don't. Fight it, and call them by their proper name!
Resist the "dumbing down" (sic).

You're getting as bad as that bloke who constantly shouts at people for top
posting ;-)

DPC needs to be above internal floor level.
Below, shurelie?

How is this detailed with a concrete slab floor ?
I think there is some confusion, but the DPC can be at different levels
in the
inner and outer leaf of the cavity wall.

with the door ? In other words, interior floor level almost flush with
the doors, exterior ground level a step down. This would look good. It
may be the usual way for all I know !

That's how I installed my french windows, and the kitchen door.

Chris, was the step created by the screed, the slab, or by brick
coursing ?
I need details for all this stuff, as I am drawing up plans at present.
They seem to
required more precision than I had expected. I want my finished floor
to end up
the the right place !
Cheers,
Simon.

Chris Bacon

Séan Connolly wrote:
No, they don't. Fight it, and call them by their proper name!
Resist the "dumbing down" (sic).

You're getting as bad as that bloke who constantly shouts at
people for top posting ;-)

It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it. Why call things
by a wrong name? Yes, I suppose in the case of fr3nch windows,
it's probably the Yank influence. Surely, if you call these
things "doors", then the french bit is redundant, they're
merely exterior glazed doors! Some bloke here a while ago was
talking about his broken "toilet sink" - well!! The chap on
TV glazing a Carolina style door referred to his pin punch
as a "hole punch" - what?! He also called his skeleton gun
a "glue gun" (not even the less accurate "mastic gun").
Séan Connolly

It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it. Why call things
by a wrong name?

You'd best put the world right and edit this then !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_door

Rob Morley

In article , "Séan
Connolly" mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk says...
It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it. Why call things
by a wrong name?

You'd best put the world right and edit this then !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_door

Which says "french doors, properly called French WINDOWS". But I don't
suppose you managed to read the whole article, all three lines of it ...

Which says "french doors, properly called French WINDOWS". But I don't
suppose you managed to read the whole article, all three lines of it ...

I think he may have just edited it. I read it an hour ago, and didn't
notice the WINDOWS comment !
Simon.

Séan Connolly

Which says "french doors, properly called French WINDOWS". But I don't
suppose you managed to read the whole article, all three lines of it ...

Sorry, but please don't inflict your ignorance of how Wikipedia works on me.

Christian McArdle

Yes, I know it's "french windows", but everyone calls them doors.
Regarding PVCu double glazed doors, e.g. screwfix 1800x2100.

Fit proper wooden ones. Plastic French windows? What a horrible idea!

Christian.

Chris Bacon

Séan Connolly wrote:
It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it. Why call things
by a wrong name?

You'd best put the world right and edit this then !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_door

It says "properly called a French WINDOW".

Séan Connolly

You'd best put the world right and edit this then !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_door

It says "properly called a French WINDOW".

Aye, because somebody has edited it since I last looked to say that.

Infact it was at 14:01, 13 October 2005 by 137.108.145.11 I thought it was
you !

You see, if I was a revisionist, I could change it back ;-)

(I'm not disputing what you say btw)

Chris Bacon

Séan Connolly wrote:
(I'm not disputing what you say btw) (about french windows)

I'm not trying to be awkward, either! It's just that some things
get up my nose a bit (brick trowel patterns, for instance).
Séan Connolly

I'm not trying to be awkward, either! It's just that some things
get up my nose a bit (brick trowel patterns, for instance).

LOL ! I know where you're coming from, but I think language tends to evolve
(devolve?) and change whether we like it or not !

Rob Morley

In article , "Séan
Connolly" mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk says...
Which says "french doors, properly called French WINDOWS". But I don't
suppose you managed to read the whole article, all three lines of it ...

Sorry

I'm not sure I'm willing to accept that apology.
Lobster

Chris Bacon wrote:
Lobster wrote:

DPC needs to be above internal floor level.

Below, shurelie?

You've got me thinking now. IIRC, every DPC I've come across has been
at the level behind the skirting boards. But I suppose it doesn't
matter much either way, providing there's a proper DPM beneath the
floor, which comes up the side of the slab and behind the skirting - ie,
floor will be isolated from below-DPC brickwork either way?

Oh and by the way, please don't call me Shurelie.

David

Lobster

Séan Connolly wrote:
You'd best put the world right and edit this then !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_door

It says "properly called a French WINDOW".

Aye, because somebody has edited it since I last looked to say that.

Infact it was at 14:01, 13 October 2005 by 137.108.145.11 I thought it was
you !

It's been edited 5 times today in fact - so far...

David
Séan Connolly

I'm not sure I'm willing to accept that apology.

whatever