Default Points to sell a house

Over the weekend the two Scottish guys who do the property TV shows had
one show with the 20 best points to sell a house. They got it about
right. They also have a show which says the 20 things you should not
do to sell a house. They got that about right, except when they said
don't install laminate floors, as I find they add value.

If anyone is selling a house get the DVDs of these TV shows, it will
pay you back big time.

Brian Reay

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...

Erm! when a people buy a house they are buying the house and it sound
structure not other peoples junk, decorating and painting are a personal
touch and guaranteed the purchases will redecorate after house purchase.

Them nutters on tv are just boosting up sales for the DIY industry.

Actually, I think you'd be surprised how many people buy a house they can
"just move into an live in". A well presented home will sell more quickly
and easily than something that looks like it needs a lot of work. We've
always sold our houses at either the first or second viewing because, if I
say so myself, they are not only cared for but look cared for.

While I agree that buying "because it looks nice" isn't wise, I suspect far
more people do this than don't.

Brian

Henry

Erm! when a people buy a house they are buying the house and it sound
structure not other peoples junk, decorating and painting are a personal
touch and guaranteed the purchases will redecorate after house purchase.

I think you have a very over-optimistic opinion of the cognitive skills of a
large section of the population. Lots and lots of people cannot see further
than skin deep and are completely oblivious as to what you should be looking
for when buying a house/car/computer/other consumer durable.

You only have to watch one of those crappy shows where a presenter goes
round and selects properties to show prospective clients to hear the suckers
say such things as "oh I don't like these curtains" or "that paint isn't
what I like" etc. Lots of people sadly really are that dim.

Henry

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

I'm basing my evidence on what Mick&Pat said...they where saying go out and
buy a few mod cons as will improve your chances of selling, I'm selling the
house not its contents.

Granted a complete lick of paint and a scrub down will help sell the
property and if the kitchen needs a refit or the bathroom looks drab.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Henry wrote:
[...]

Thats what surveyors are for.

When I buy a property I don't give two hoots whether it has a nice carpet
down or a loo that tickles your backside and cleans it, I'm looking for..
'defects in the structure', 'why are you selling', ect.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Henry

Thats what surveyors are for.

I think you have a very over-optimistic opinion of the cognitive skills of
surveyors ;-) only kidding.

Though actually I got hold of a copy of a surveyors report for a house we
sold - he completely missed the major structural problems which had worried
the crap out of us when we were selling and made a big fuss about things
which of much less consequence. Never have really held much store in what
they say from then. I suppose you can at least sue them if they foul up -
does that actually happen much?

Henry

Cicero

wrote in message
oups.com...
Over the weekend the two Scottish guys who do the property TV shows had
one show with the 20 best points to sell a house. They got it about
right. They also have a show which says the 20 things you should not
do to sell a house. They got that about right, except when they said
don't install laminate floors, as I find they add value.

If anyone is selling a house get the DVDs of these TV shows, it will
pay you back big time.

=================
I think it's quite a good idea to buy a house in a 'tatty' condition if
you've got the time and inclination to do the necessary improvements
yourself.

A house that hasn't been tarted up for sale usually means one less coat of
paint to strip and less hard labour removing acres of wallpaper which has
been 'neutralised' with gallons of emulsion paint.

Cic.

tony sayer

You only have to watch one of those crappy shows where a presenter goes
round and selects properties to show prospective clients to hear the suckers
say such things as "oh I don't like these curtains" or "that paint isn't
what I like" etc. Lots of people sadly really are that dim.

Henry

Agreed. They have sod all imagination......
--
Tony Sayer

Tony Bryer

In article .com,
wrote:
Over the weekend the two Scottish guys who do the property TV shows
had one show with the 20 best points to sell a house. They got it
about right.

The way I saw it most of the things they suggested increased the value
by what they cost. Giving the place a thorough clean, decluttering and
a coat of paint are exceptions.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

You only have to watch one of those crappy shows where a presenter goes
round and selects properties to show prospective clients to hear the suckers
say such things as "oh I don't like these curtains" or "that paint isn't
what I like" etc. Lots of people sadly really are that dim.

I think also the editors contribute to this impression. They ask people
to "go round and
give your impressions of the house" and edit it to look like they asked
"go round and say
why you would / would not buy this house".
But the dim people are there to our advantage, so let's keep them
around !
Simon.

Pinot Grigio

wrote in message
oups.com...
Over the weekend the two Scottish guys who do the property TV shows had
one show with the 20 best points to sell a house. They got it about
right. They also have a show which says the 20 things you should not
do to sell a house. They got that about right, except when they said
don't install laminate floors, as I find they add value.

If anyone is selling a house get the DVDs of these TV shows, it will
pay you back big time.

What channel was it on? I might look for the repeats.

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
You only have to watch one of those crappy shows where a presenter
goes round and selects properties to show prospective clients to hear
the suckers say such things as "oh I don't like these curtains" or
"that paint isn't what I like" etc. Lots of people sadly really are
that dim.

Henry

Thats what surveyors are for.

When I buy a property I don't give two hoots whether it has a nice carpet
down or a loo that tickles your backside and cleans it, I'm looking for..
'defects in the structure', 'why are you selling', ect.

But that's you, an inhabitant of uk.d-i-y, a minority group of
discerning individuals, etc., etc. Most of the remaining 99.9% of the
population really are that dim.

MBQ

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article .com,
wrote:

If anyone is selling a house get the DVDs of these TV shows, it will
pay you back big time.

That's if you can stand the mincings and girlie
tantrums of the pair of fairies.

--
AJL
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

If anyone is selling a house get the DVDs of these TV shows, it will
pay you back big time.

That's if you can stand the mincings and girlie
tantrums of the pair of fairies.

Oh! you mean Micheal Fitzpatrick & Patrick Fitzmicheal. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

S Viemeister

Owain wrote:

Anna Kettle wrote:
Agreed. Never seen the appeal of not having carpet myself.

No more vacuum cleaners. I hate vacuum cleaner hum. Sweeping hard
floors is quicker too

But carpet absorbs so much more dirt than a hard floor,

Yes. That's why I prefer hard flooring with a few area rugs.

Sheila
Doctor Drivel

"Owain" wrote in message
Anna Kettle wrote:
Agreed. Never seen the appeal of not having carpet myself.

No more vacuum cleaners. I hate vacuum cleaner hum. Sweeping hard
floors is quicker too

But carpet absorbs so much more dirt than a hard floor, so it needs
cleaning less.

And it's much more satisfying on the rare occasion one (I) cleans it, to
see it change colour.

And they house bugs and stink.

Doctor Drivel

"Owain" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
But carpet absorbs so much more dirt than a hard floor, so it needs
cleaning less.

And they house bugs and stink.

I'm six ft tall so it doesn't really worry me.

Anyway, your carpets only stink

I don't have carpets, so they stink like yours. Carpets are disgusting.