Rodders

Default apprenticeships

Do you realise how difficult it is for young ones to get taken on as an
apprentice? The industries are always telling us that new blood is needed
but hardly anyone will take any kids on.

In my day (1970's) I had 4 companies offering me an apprenticeship. My son
Ross has sent off 50 letters (which I paid the stamps for) to various
companies for an electrical apprenticeship. How many replies - 3. Two to say
thanks for the letter we will keep you on our list blah blah ...

And finally after 5 weeks a letter to go for an interview. 14 boys after 8
jobs.

Bought him a suit, printed off a booklet of tasks undertaken on his pre
apprentice electrical training course, tutored him in the possible
questions, took him to the interview and after 2 long weeks of waiting, he
was offered a job :-)

I've got to say I am pleased as punch, maybe in a few years we will see him
contributing to this list.

Anyway, for those whose kids are still trying, keep on sending those
letters!!!

Rodders

Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:51:37 GMT, "Rodders"
wrote:

| In my day (1970's) I had 4 companies offering me an apprenticeship.

In my days early (1950s), one interview with the best local employer,
English Electric, and there was a Student Apprenticeship. :-)

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.
Broadback

wrote:

| In my day (1970's) I had 4 companies offering me an apprenticeship.

In my days early (1950s), one interview with the best local employer,
English Electric, and there was a Student Apprenticeship. :-)

I joined the RAF as an apprentice, not everyone's cup of tea, but gave
me a good life, even though I left the RAF after the mandatory 12 years.
I believe they have restarted their apprenticeship scheme.
mindwipe

wrote:

| In my day (1970's) I had 4 companies offering me an apprenticeship.

In my days early (1950s), one interview with the best local employer,
English Electric, and there was a Student Apprenticeship. :-)

I joined the RAF as an apprentice, not everyone's cup of tea, but gave me
a good life, even though I left the RAF after the mandatory 12 years. I
believe they have restarted their apprenticeship scheme.

when i went for an apprenticeship as a motor mechanic in 1980 there were 500
going for each place
most were cut down by the pretest
then the poor managers had to sift through the list for possibles and
interview them
just wish they had turned me down :-(
sorry for the negative but your post brought it all back
hope your son does ok and prospers
hes still beat the others whatever

Roger

The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

In my day (1970's) I had 4 companies offering me an apprenticeship.

In my day (1962) I accepted the offer after my first inteview and
cancelled the only other inteview arranged at the time.

In my days early (1950s), one interview with the best local employer,

Stafford was hardly local to NE Essex but AEI in Manchester was even
harder to get to.

English Electric, and there was a Student Apprenticeship. :-)

My route into engineering and ultimately out of it.

I can't remember an English Electric plant in Yorkshire. They were a
good employer until gobbled up by Swinestock. By not getting to AEI I at
least avoided his clutches for a few more years.

EEC RIP. :-(

--
Roger Chapman

Adrian Simpson

In article , Roger
writes
I can't remember an English Electric plant in Yorkshire. They were a
good employer until gobbled up by Swinestock. By not getting to AEI I at
least avoided his clutches for a few more years.

Bradford ?.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Roger

The message
from Adrian Simpson contains these words:

I can't remember an English Electric plant in Yorkshire. They were a
good employer until gobbled up by Swinestock. By not getting to AEI I at
least avoided his clutches for a few more years.

Bradford ?.

That would square with Dave who lives in Bradford but I still can't
remember it despite going through the company indoctrination process
which emphasised the widespread empire (that disappeared into GEC which
is now a tiny remnant in the form of Marconi, once a minor subsidiary).

--
Roger Chapman
Adrian Simpson

In article , Roger
writes
The message
from Adrian Simpson contains these words:

Bradford ?.

That would square with Dave who lives in Bradford but I still can't
remember it despite going through the company indoctrination process
which emphasised the widespread empire (that disappeared into GEC which
is now a tiny remnant in the form of Marconi, once a minor subsidiary).

Looking at the map (and bearing in mind that I haven't been around there
for ~25 years), , or somewhere close by on the ring road.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 20:19:13 +0100, Adrian Simpson
wrote:

| In article , Roger
| writes
| I can't remember an English Electric plant in Yorkshire. They were a
| good employer until gobbled up by Swinestock. By not getting to AEI I at
| least avoided his clutches for a few more years.
|

| Bradford ?.

Yes In Thornbury.
The site is now a B&Q :-(, with the newest bit a Morrisons :-(

Rodders wrote:
Do you realise how difficult it is for young ones to get taken on as an
apprentice?

Rodders,
you are witnessning nothing more than the death throes of an
Empire.

I joined the RAF as an Apprentice in 1961. The scheme was started in
1922 and finally shut down in 1994-95. Have a quick look at the URL
below to see it in its Hay Day.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...en/600apps.htm

Just get him out of Engineering and into some nebulous Admin type job.

Chris.

Badger

Rodders wrote:

Do you realise how difficult it is for young ones to get taken on as an
apprentice? The industries are always telling us that new blood is needed
but hardly anyone will take any kids on.

In my day (1970's) I had 4 companies offering me an apprenticeship.

Anyway, for those whose kids are still trying, keep on sending those
letters!!!

Rodders

As a 70's apprentice who started with the CEGB before thatcher came to
power and one of the many who were then thrown on the scrap heap as she
prepared for privatisation in 70-80 at the end of my time I have nothing
but hope for the future, skilled people are needed, but as a service
industry economy we'll never see skilled people treated with the respect
they deserve...

Anyone with an interest in science and technology should also try local
universities for modern apprenticeship/trainee technician/craftsman
jobs, we've had a few and its interesting work, pays crap, but never boring.
Badger

Rodders wrote:

Do you realise how difficult it is for young ones to get taken on as
an apprentice? The industries are always telling us that new blood is
needed but hardly anyone will take any kids on.

In my day (1970's) I had 4 companies offering me an apprenticeship.

Anyway, for those whose kids are still trying, keep on sending those
letters!!!

Rodders

As a 70's apprentice who started with the CEGB before thatcher came to
power and one of the many who were then thrown on the scrap heap as she
prepared for privatisation in 79-80 at the end of my time I have nothing