Simmey

Default Loft "room" by the previous bodger!

I have been in my current house about 2 years and many problems have cropped
up in that time, mostly from the previous occupant - a bodger!

Whilst speaking to the neighbour I was horrified when I found out that he
did the loft conversion (well more like a daylight storage area) by
himself!!!!!

Nothing was picked up on the survey we had, although this was not a full
survey so in retrospect pretty damn useless!

I know nothing about roofs, however my house is a 1940's 3 bed semi, with a
hip style roof.

I've done a bit of a diagram to try and show you what's gone on.
http://www.keme.net/~sims/bodgeornot.jpg

Would the council office be able to tell me if its done right?

Does somebody have any plans of theirs with a similar type of roof they
could show me ?

Suggestions where to go from here welcome!

Cheers
Simmey

raden

In message , Simmey
writes
I have been in my current house about 2 years and many problems have cropped
up in that time, mostly from the previous occupant - a bodger!

Suggestions where to go from here welcome!

Learning how to post would be a good start

.... once is generally enough

--
geoff
John Rumm

Simmey wrote:

I have been in my current house about 2 years and many problems have cropped
up in that time, mostly from the previous occupant - a bodger!

Whilst speaking to the neighbour I was horrified when I found out that he
did the loft conversion (well more like a daylight storage area) by
himself!!!!!

Probably a pointless question, but do you have the completion
certificate from the building control department?

Nothing was picked up on the survey we had, although this was not a full
survey so in retrospect pretty damn useless!

Nothing new there then ;-)

I know nothing about roofs, however my house is a 1940's 3 bed semi, with a
hip style roof.

I've done a bit of a diagram to try and show you what's gone on.
http://www.keme.net/~sims/bodgeornot.jpg

OK we need to see how it used to look to work out what has been removed.
Some dimensions on the timber would also help.

Did he do anything with the floor or is that still supported by the
original ceiling joists?

Do you know where the load bearing walls are in the house?

Can we have some photos of the loft?

Would the council office be able to tell me if its done right?

There is a fair chance that a building notice ought to have been
submitted prior to the work being done. If this is the case and he did
not do so, then it is almost automatically "wrong" even if structurally
sound. Hence it might be better to piece together more of the story so
you are aware of any implications before alerting the building control
bods.

Does somebody have any plans of theirs with a similar type of roof they
could show me ?

Possibly, start he

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft

see if that answers any questions...

--
Cheers,

John.

Lobster

John Rumm wrote:
There is a fair chance that a building notice ought to have been
submitted prior to the work being done. If this is the case and he did
not do so, then it is almost automatically "wrong" even if structurally
sound. Hence it might be better to piece together more of the story so
you are aware of any implications before alerting the building control
bods.

Agreed... if you go along to your building control office, you should be
able to ask what, if any, building notices have been submitted on any
property within the last X years (freedom of information) although I
don't think you can get to see the actual details (data protection?).
You can do that anonymously, ie without alerting building control
there's a potential issue.

David