markjohnson102

Default Laminate flooring over floorboards

Hi,
As well as asking for advice on a stud wall for pipes, the same
bathroom project will involve putting down a new floor over the
existing 1930s floorboards. Question: is it work putting down a board
first to make it more stable (floorboards are not that brilliant), and
if so, what's the best type of board to lay? Any advice you may have on
the best type of flooring to get would be appreciated too, since all
bathroom-rated manufacturers say there's won't suffer under these
conditions...

Thanks
Mark

--
markjohnson102
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:24:20 +0100, markjohnson102
. com wrote:

| Hi,
| As well as asking for advice on a stud wall for pipes, the same
| bathroom project will involve putting down a new floor over the
| existing 1930s floorboards. Question: is it work putting down a board
| first to make it more stable (floorboards are not that brilliant), and
| if so, what's the best type of board to lay? Any advice you may have on
| the best type of flooring to get would be appreciated too, since all
| bathroom-rated manufacturers say there's won't suffer under these
| conditions...

IME flooring grade MFD is crap where it may get wet in kitchens and
bathrooms. If I did it again I would use real wood boards.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.
Lobster

markjohnson102 wrote:

As well as asking for advice on a stud wall for pipes, the same
bathroom project will involve putting down a new floor over the
existing 1930s floorboards. Question: is it work putting down a board
first to make it more stable (floorboards are not that brilliant), and
if so, what's the best type of board to lay? Any advice you may have on
the best type of flooring to get would be appreciated too, since all
bathroom-rated manufacturers say there's won't suffer under these
conditions...

Most likely 6mm WBP plywood, but could depend on what type of flooring
you have on top

David
Neil

I put marine ply over my old bathroom floor boards and then tiled over the
ply. That was 5 years ago and it is still as good as new. No movement in
tiles and no water come through the ceiling.
Cheers
Neil