mo

Default Metal desk legs..

Following on from my other post about making a desk.

I am probably gonna go for a wooden base and then 4 metal legs.

Anyone have any ideas what kind of shops might sell these sorts of metal
legs? I can't think of any TBH.

I guess the best way to attach them would be to screw up into the table - so
I will need quite a thick table.

Is homebase a good place to go for precut wood?

John Cartmell

In article ,
mo nospam wrote:
Following on from my other post about making a desk.

I am probably gonna go for a wooden base and then 4 metal legs.

Anyone have any ideas what kind of shops might sell these sorts of metal
legs? I can't think of any TBH.

IKEA

I guess the best way to attach them would be to screw up into the table - so
I will need quite a thick table.

Is homebase a good place to go for precut wood?

Not if it's like ours! Wickes?

mo

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
In article ,
mo nospam wrote:
Following on from my other post about making a desk.

I am probably gonna go for a wooden base and then 4 metal legs.

Anyone have any ideas what kind of shops might sell these sorts of metal
legs? I can't think of any TBH.

IKEA

I guess the best way to attach them would be to screw up into the table -
so
I will need quite a thick table.

Is homebase a good place to go for precut wood?

Not if it's like ours! Wickes?

hmm not sure wheres ours is, i have driven past it a few times, a bit
further than i usually go.

I'll check it out.
Cheers

mo

Actually just thinking about this again...

Whar about if I put 5 legs on instead of 4?

i.e

X X X
X X

(with the 3 being at the back of the table)

surley that would make it fairly solid?

Mike Dodd

mo wrote:
Following on from my other post about making a desk.

I am probably gonna go for a wooden base and then 4 metal legs.

Anyone have any ideas what kind of shops might sell these sorts of metal
legs? I can't think of any TBH.

I guess the best way to attach them would be to screw up into the table - so
I will need quite a thick table.

Is homebase a good place to go for precut wood?

Homebase for wood?, nope!, go to a timber yard. Or find someone
blond-and-bubbly to go for you - most timber yards will cut an amount of
wood to size for free.

Homebase, however, does sell metal desk legs, so it's still worth a trip
there to get an idea.

Mike

:::Jerry::::

"mo" nospam wrote in message
Actually just thinking about this again...

Whar about if I put 5 legs on instead of 4?

i.e

X X X
X X

(with the 3 being at the back of the table)

surley that would make it fairly solid?

It will carry more weight but will be no more stable.

Steven Campbell

"mo" nospam wrote in message
Following on from my other post about making a desk.

I am probably gonna go for a wooden base and then 4 metal legs.

Anyone have any ideas what kind of shops might sell these sorts of metal
legs? I can't think of any TBH.

I guess the best way to attach them would be to screw up into the table -

so
I will need quite a thick table.

Is homebase a good place to go for precut wood?

B&Q have an aisle full. Well maybe not an aisle but they have a good
selection.

Also some on line:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/search...ctType=departm
ent&departmentName=home%20decor&limitProducts=no

John Cartmell

In article ,
mo nospam wrote:
Actually just thinking about this again...

Whar about if I put 5 legs on instead of 4?

i.e

X X X
X X

(with the 3 being at the back of the table)

surley that would make it fairly solid?

No.

If the design isn't right to make it solid with four legs then five will not
help.

Make su
1 the top doesn't flex
2 the legs are secure
3 the legs are the same length

1 If the top does flex then you can add (screw) 'battens' to the underside to
thicken the wood along a strip (eg around the edge). Effectively you are
making the top much thicker even if only along a narrow strip. NB for this to
work the 'batten' must be screwed/glued along its length and not just at the
ends.

2 If the legs are attached to the top in just a small area then the fixing is
likely to fail. Use proprietory fittings - eg a metal housing into which you
can screw the legs and which spread the area of the attachment. I've recently
attached some legs to a table top (for a computer desk!) and the legs (from
IKEA) screwed into a metal base about 15cm in diameter which attached to the
top with 5 screws. If you don't want to take this easy way out then you can
use the 'battens' in 1 as support/housing for your legs.

3 If the legs are all the same length then you rely on the floor being flat.
The only way to get a chair/table from wobbling on a non-flat floor is to use
3 legs! ;-)

John Cartmell

In article , John Cartmell
wrote:
In article , mo nospam wrote:
[...]

I forgot to add ...

As in all such things you can learn by looking. Find tables that work well -
in general go for old 'real wood' examples - and see how they are made. Note
that, in general, metal fixings are modern alternatives for woodworking
techniques that take too long or need skills that have been rejected as too
costly. It makes sense to copy many older hand-made techniques as modern (esp
flat-pack) designs require very accurate cutting.

David

In article ,
Steven Campbell Newsgroup@newsgroup.? writes

"mo" nospam wrote in message
m...
Following on from my other post about making a desk.

I am probably gonna go for a wooden base and then 4 metal legs.

Anyone have any ideas what kind of shops might sell these sorts of metal
legs? I can't think of any TBH.

I guess the best way to attach them would be to screw up into the table -

so
I will need quite a thick table.

Is homebase a good place to go for precut wood?

B&Q have an aisle full. Well maybe not an aisle but they have a good
selection.

Also some on line:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/search...dingParams=typ
e%3Dsearch%26query%3Dleg%26hits%3D41%26topCat%3D6 2200&selectType=departm
ent&departmentName=home%20decor&limitProducts=n o

Better to go to a timber merchant though, as someone else pointed out a
while ago "the only straight piece of wood you will get in B&Q is a
pencil" and also timber is very expensive in the sheds.
--
David

mo

"David" wrote in message

Better to go to a timber merchant though, as someone else pointed out a
while ago "the only straight piece of wood you will get in B&Q is a
pencil" and also timber is very expensive in the sheds.
--
David

I'll have to have to find out where our timber yard is.

Any type of wood that is better to go for? I want a chunky table (so i can
screw in quite long screws) - quite hard but not expensive - all the
furtnitre in my room is medium dark type wood...

Attaching wooden lats to a metal balcony rail Andy Woodworking 1 February 2nd 05 11:45 AM
electricity on my water pipes Laurent Doiron Home Repair 32 March 30th 04 06:01 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
If glue is stronger than the wood, do you need to use screws when attaching legs to a table? YJJim Woodworking 3 December 18th 03 03:29 PM
Desk Cable Channels Phil Jones UK diy 7 July 6th 03 09:52 PM