Default Darkening an acrylic lacquered desk

Went to IKEA (8.30 pm Monday night - if you have to go, go then) with
nearest and dearest, bought desk we both liked. Got it home, checked
the parts, disposed of the packaging, stacked it ready for assembly...

Subject of changing colour of said desk arose.

So, deep breath, can anyone recommend a method of darkening (thank God
it's darkening) the desk. It's solid pine, stained and finished with a
clear acrylic lacquer. I would like to avoid sanding the damn thing.
Can I just apply a coat of darker acrylic lacquer to it? Does
pigmented acrylic lacquer exist?

Yours with gritted teeth.

David

Thanks for the advice so far. I gave Briwax a ring and he said that
this might work, depending on the cunning technologies used by IKEA.

Any other suggestions from the wisest of groups?

Strangely enough, the tuit fairy must have caused a change of heart as
the desk is now "OK". So, crisis averted, but at least this is in the
archives for the next time. The nice man at Briwax also advised the
sunny option, but as we live in deepest darkest Cheshire, this is not
really possible. Maybe me the missus and the desk should go on holiday
somewhere sunny...

Thanks again

How to attach metal legs to wooden desk Lee Woodworking 3 July 25th 05 04:32 PM
MDF Desk top Robert Rushing Woodworking 8 September 9th 04 03:55 AM
Desk Top suggestion Riley Woodworking 6 March 8th 04 10:30 PM
Where can I find info on desk design? Blue Woodworking 8 November 28th 03 04:54 PM
Desk Cable Channels Phil Jones UK diy 7 July 6th 03 09:52 PM