T i m

Default Making a phone box .. ?

Hi All,

Mum mentioned the oter day (right out of the blue) that she "would
like a phonebox at the bottom of the garden to uses as a greenhouse
.... " shrug (well she is 75 ..) ;-)

A Google about shows K6's (later style UK red box) from 300-3000
pounds so the idea of making something came to mind?

Q, How 'waterproof' is waterproof (assuming there really is such a
thing?) MDF please?

I have found "Medex" MDF sheets but at 39 quid a pop it might be
cheaper to buy a real box?

Alternativly, a bunch of angle / T section and the MIG welder and a
bucket of red paint could make a passable (stand-off) replica and be
pretty durable?

I would be surprised if there aren't any replica makers out there
(Google finds mention but mostly dead links)? ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Mum mentioned the oter day (right out of the blue) that she "would
like a phonebox at the bottom of the garden to uses as a greenhouse
... " shrug (well she is 75 ..) ;-)

A Google about shows K6's (later style UK red box) from 300-3000
pounds so the idea of making something came to mind?

Q, How 'waterproof' is waterproof (assuming there really is such a
thing?) MDF please?

I have found "Medex" MDF sheets but at 39 quid a pop it might be
cheaper to buy a real box?

Alternativly, a bunch of angle / T section and the MIG welder and a
bucket of red paint could make a passable (stand-off) replica and be
pretty durable?

I would be surprised if there aren't any replica makers out there
(Google finds mention but mostly dead links)? ;-(

Trouble is they're made out of cast iron, so a replica is likely to cost.
A lot.

I've seen TV versions made out of wood and wood glazing bars which are
good enough for a country job and don't have to last - and are easy to
move around. But I don't give much for your chances of making one for 300
quid if you can buy one for that no matter what the condition. ;-)

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:32:33 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
[...]

There's always that blue one sitting at the back of one of the studios
in TV Centre. Tim would have to make sure that his Mum didn't also
get the control column, mind you.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:45:47 GMT, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

Mum mentioned the oter day (right out of the blue) that she "would
like a phonebox at the bottom of the garden to uses as a greenhouse
... " shrug (well she is 75 ..) ;-)

Are you sure that she really does want a greenhouse, Tim, and not
"The Doughnut in Granny's Greenhouse"? :-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
T i m

wrote:

I would be surprised if there aren't any replica makers out there
(Google finds mention but mostly dead links)? ;-(

Trouble is they're made out of cast iron, so a replica is likely to cost.
A lot.

I think the link I spotted mentioned a fibreglass (replica)?

I've seen TV versions made out of wood and wood glazing bars which are
good enough for a country job and don't have to last - and are easy to
move around.

Looking at the shape again some 2"x2" framing, some floorboards (cheap
planed pine) for the 'corners' / door and some lighter stuff for the
glazing bars maybe (I'd make the glazing bars 'dummies' and glaze it
with 3 single sheets).

It only needs to be 'garden shed' quality and water tightness. If I
give it a good soak in Cuprinol before painiting .. (leaving the
Cuprinol to soak in / dry of course ..) ?

But I don't give much for your chances of making one for 300
quid if you can buy one for that no matter what the condition. ;-)

That was my fear Dave (but would be a nice surprise for Mum
none-the-less). I think a real one would be more difficult to get in
the back of the Rover and into their back garden ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

http://www.englishphoneboxes.com/examples.html

T i m

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 19:30:45 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

There's always that blue one sitting at the back of one of the studios
in TV Centre. Tim would have to make sure that his Mum didn't also
get the control column, mind you.

No, don't .. she still can't cope with the Freeview box let alone
"Time and Relative Dimensions in Space"! ;-)

And talking of d-i-y ..

http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~abartmes/console.htm

Hmmmm?

All the best ..

T i m

Andy Hall

wrote:

There's always that blue one sitting at the back of one of the studios
in TV Centre. Tim would have to make sure that his Mum didn't also
get the control column, mind you.

No, don't .. she still can't cope with the Freeview box let alone
"Time and Relative Dimensions in Space"! ;-)

And talking of d-i-y ..

http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~abartmes/console.htm

Hmmmm?

IIRC, the console is stashed just along from the T.A.R.D.I.S. for
generations of schoolchildren to see. It is nowhere near as
sophisticated as the one made by the trainspotter mentioned above.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

Mum mentioned the oter day (right out of the blue) that she "would
like a phonebox at the bottom of the garden to uses as a greenhouse
... " shrug (well she is 75 ..) ;-)

The time of life when we can do what we want and not worry about what anyone
else thinks. Bugger them as wants to be conventional.

I like your Mum.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

There's always that blue one sitting at the back of one of the studios
in TV Centre. Tim would have to make sure that his Mum didn't also
get the control column, mind you.

Would be no good for growing tomatoes.

Mary

Mary Fisher

wrote:

There's always that blue one sitting at the back of one of the studios
in TV Centre. Tim would have to make sure that his Mum didn't also
get the control column, mind you.

No, don't .. she still can't cope with the Freeview box

Or perhaps is using that as an excuse.

Mary

Andy Hall

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:47:26 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

Mum mentioned the oter day (right out of the blue) that she "would
like a phonebox at the bottom of the garden to uses as a greenhouse
... " shrug (well she is 75 ..) ;-)

The time of life when we can do what we want and not worry about what anyone
else thinks. Bugger them as wants to be conventional.

I like your Mum.

Mary

I'm nowhere near 75 and am still unconventional. Well mostly.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:47:26 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
. ..
Hi All,

Mum mentioned the oter day (right out of the blue) that she "would
like a phonebox at the bottom of the garden to uses as a greenhouse
... " shrug (well she is 75 ..) ;-)

The time of life when we can do what we want and not worry about what
anyone
else thinks. Bugger them as wants to be conventional.

I like your Mum.

Mary

I'm nowhere near 75 and am still unconventional. Well mostly.

You're getting there then :-)

Mary

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

T i m

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:47:26 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

Mum mentioned the oter day (right out of the blue) that she "would
like a phonebox at the bottom of the garden to uses as a greenhouse
... " shrug (well she is 75 ..) ;-)

The time of life when we can do what we want and not worry about what anyone
else thinks. Bugger them as wants to be conventional.

Indeed .. ;-)

I like your Mum.

So do I .. she doesn't stop .. unfortunatly Dad come from the 'old
school' .. Man goes out to work, woman stays at home ... and waits on
him ... ? But, because she has stayed active she's still pretty fit
... my 15 year old daughter has to trot to keep up with her walking!

You only get one Mum and I try to look after mine .. ;-)

Bless her .. while I was round there the other day sorting her boiler
she kept showing me all the things she had made .. a big bag full of
woolen scarves, several small kiddy outfits, etc etc .. I actually
had to say at one point .. "Mum, I am trying to do something here you
know .." ;-)

Then there the matter of trying to get away without sandwiches, cake,
tea .... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

raden

In message , T i m
writes
Hi All,

Mum mentioned the oter day (right out of the blue) that she "would
like a phonebox at the bottom of the garden to uses as a greenhouse
... " shrug (well she is 75 ..) ;-)

A Google about shows K6's (later style UK red box) from 300-3000
pounds so the idea of making something came to mind?

Q, How 'waterproof' is waterproof (assuming there really is such a
thing?) MDF please?

I have found "Medex" MDF sheets but at 39 quid a pop it might be
cheaper to buy a real box?

Alternativly, a bunch of angle / T section and the MIG welder and a
bucket of red paint could make a passable (stand-off) replica and be
pretty durable?

I would be surprised if there aren't any replica makers out there
(Google finds mention but mostly dead links)? ;-(

Buy a TARDIS and repaint it

--
geoff
raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:32:33 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
[...]

Ah

--
geoff

T i m

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:48:33 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

There's always that blue one sitting at the back of one of the studios
in TV Centre. Tim would have to make sure that his Mum didn't also
get the control column, mind you.

No, don't .. she still can't cope with the Freeview box

Or perhaps is using that as an excuse.

No, I don't think so .. she calls me in because 'Father' can't get the
box to work .. (she rarely watches TV .. never get's the chance)

All the best ..

T i m
T i m

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:48:06 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

There's always that blue one sitting at the back of one of the studios
in TV Centre. Tim would have to make sure that his Mum didn't also
get the control column, mind you.

Would be no good for growing tomatoes.

I don't think she's into produce (atm) Mary (her brother had the
allotment and was a 'nurseryman') .. her front and back gardens are
awash with plants / flowers and I think she would use a 'telephone
box' like a cloche for seedlings?

All the best ..

T i m
T i m

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:18:15 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

I'm nowhere near 75 and am still unconventional. Well mostly.

lol

My next one will be the big 'five o' but I still feel 20 in my head ..
it's just my knees that remind me I'm not .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
I've seen TV versions made out of wood and wood glazing bars which are
good enough for a country job and don't have to last - and are easy to
move around. But I don't give much for your chances of making one for
300 quid if you can buy one for that no matter what the condition. ;-)

There's always that blue one sitting at the back of one of the studios
in TV Centre.

Very long time since Dr Who was made at TVC. It actually started at
Riverside, and perhaps the majority were made at Lime Grove. ;-)

Tim would have to make sure that his Mum didn't also get
the control column, mind you.

Could we have an FAQ on sonic screwdrivers?

--
*Why is it considered necessary to screw down the lid of a coffin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
T i m

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:20:17 +0100, Owain
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Mum mentioned the oter day (right out of the blue) that she "would
like a phonebox at the bottom of the garden to uses as a greenhouse
.... " shrug (well she is 75 ..) ;-)

To recreate the actual glazing pattern of a classic phone box will be
rather complicated. For the suggested use, I would suggest using some of
the "georgian" glass-panelled doors (the ones that have about 28
rectangular panes) which can be had quite cheaply from the sheds.

That's a good idea Owain! ;-) I had thought of just doing the glass
with one big single pane each side with dummy glazing beads where ther
should be if real .. but your suggestion sounds easier and once
painted red ... ;-)

If budget and departure from verisimilitude

(That's near St Albans isn't it?) weg

would permit, a two-door x
one-door (rectangular in plan) with the two doors on one side opening
outward would provide more bench space than a square box.

Got ya .. not sure she's got the space but that could be done to look
like two phone boxes side-by-side couldn't it! (and you could probably
make the two opening doors become 'pillarless' ..?

Six doors from the sheds, bolt together at the corners, paint red, a
border round the top (with a crown routed in) and a pyramid roof of
tri-wall should do the job reasonably well.

And or with the 'outer' facets of the roof painted red (for effect,
say left and two front) and the others left clear ;-)

Of course, you could cheat and copy one of the late 70s/early 80s ones
that had one large pane per side.

Yuck, they aren't real phone boxes they are phone boothes ;-(

An authentic coinbox mechanism will probably cost nearly as much again,
but old phone directories come up quite cheaply on ebay and one from the
time/location of her youth might provoke happy remiscing.

Or make something the rough shape out of MDF painted gloss black (with
some initials carved into it) as a little 'cupboard' for storing small
hand tools etc. And, howabout on top an old handset modified with a
length of thin black hose as as hand water sprinkler! Little Whale
foot pump from the water butt ... (calm down imagination ..)!

I leave it to your imagination how best to provide the authentic aroma
of sunwarmed bakelite and stall beery **** of the originals.

That was a 'special' smell wasn't it ..

All the best fella .. and thanks for the ideas .. ;-)

T i m

T i m

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:53:53 GMT, raden wrote:

I would be surprised if there aren't any replica makers out there
(Google finds mention but mostly dead links)? ;-(

Buy a TARDIS and repaint it

Hmmm .. that might get me the basic shape alright but I wouldn't think
it would make a good greenhouse (and it would cost a fortune to heat
all that space inside in the winter ... ) ?

PAAD (permanent artificial alternative dimension)

And where would she get Zyton-7 crystals these days .. (tried the
garden centres ... never heard of them but sold me some slug pellets
anyway) ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

raden

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

I'm nowhere near 75 and am still unconventional. Well mostly.

lol

My next one will be the big 'five o' but I still feel 20 in my head ..
it's just my knees that remind me I'm not .. ;-(

Shhh

less than a month away

--
geoff
T i m

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:08:13 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Tim would have to make sure that his Mum didn't also get
the control column, mind you.

Could we have an FAQ on sonic screwdrivers?

What, we haven't had one yet! ;-)

T i m

Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message

No, don't .. she still can't cope with the Freeview box

Or perhaps is using that as an excuse.

No, I don't think so .. she calls me in because 'Father' can't get the
box to work .. (she rarely watches TV .. never get's the chance)

Ah - so it's a man who can't work it :-)

Mary

All the best ..

T i m

Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message

There's always that blue one sitting at the back of one of the studios
in TV Centre. Tim would have to make sure that his Mum didn't also
get the control column, mind you.

Would be no good for growing tomatoes.

I don't think she's into produce (atm) Mary (her brother had the
allotment and was a 'nurseryman') .. her front and back gardens are
awash with plants / flowers and I think she would use a 'telephone
box' like a cloche for seedlings?

No - the blue one still wouldn't be any good. Hardly any light got into
police boxes.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
I've seen TV versions made out of wood and wood glazing bars which are
good enough for a country job and don't have to last - and are easy to
move around. But I don't give much for your chances of making one for
300 quid if you can buy one for that no matter what the condition. ;-)

There's always that blue one sitting at the back of one of the studios
in TV Centre.

Very long time since Dr Who was made at TVC. It actually started at
Riverside, and perhaps the majority were made at Lime Grove. ;-)

I thought the box was at Avoncroft Museum of Historic Buildings ...

Mary

Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message

I like your Mum.

So do I .. she doesn't stop .. unfortunatly Dad come from the 'old
school' .. Man goes out to work, woman stays at home ...

Oh I think that's good. For the woman. I'd have hated to be a man and have
to go out to work, I prefer to be independent.

and waits on
him ... ?

That doesn't take much doing,men are easily satisfiedin my experience.

You only get one Mum and I try to look after mine .. ;-)

Good for you! My mum (96) won't let me look after her :-(

Bless her .. while I was round there the other day sorting her boiler
she kept showing me all the things she had made .. a big bag full of
woolen scarves, several small kiddy outfits, etc etc .. I actually
had to say at one point .. "Mum, I am trying to do something here you
know .." ;-)

Well, so was she.

Then there the matter of trying to get away without sandwiches, cake,
tea .... ;-)

Life's a bitch.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , T i m
writes
Hi All,

Mum mentioned the oter day (right out of the blue) that she "would
like a phonebox at the bottom of the garden to uses as a greenhouse
... " shrug (well she is 75 ..) ;-)

Buy a TARDIS and repaint it

Not the same thing at all.

Mary

--
geoff

Christian McArdle

An authentic coinbox mechanism will probably cost nearly as much again,
but old phone directories come up quite cheaply on ebay and one from the
time/location of her youth might provoke happy remiscing.

And don't forget to relieve yourself in it, too, for that extra authentic
touch.

Christian.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:08:13 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
I've seen TV versions made out of wood and wood glazing bars which are
good enough for a country job and don't have to last - and are easy to
move around. But I don't give much for your chances of making one for
300 quid if you can buy one for that no matter what the condition. ;-)

There's always that blue one sitting at the back of one of the studios
in TV Centre.

Very long time since Dr Who was made at TVC. It actually started at
Riverside, and perhaps the majority were made at Lime Grove. ;-)

In 1992, I went to visit a friend who worked at BBC Television Centre.

The Tardis was sitting in the middle of one of the carpentry shops. It
was being used as a dustbin. It was full of sawdust.

Graham

Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message

Show your Mum

http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART12810.html

Then she can go and choose her model.

Mary

T i m

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:21:38 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

Show your Mum

http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART12810.html

Then she can go and choose her model.

Neat .. I think they would spot us loading one into the trailer though
... less we dress at BT engineers ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
John Cartmell

In article ,
wrote:
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:08:13 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
I've seen TV versions made out of wood and wood glazing bars which are
good enough for a country job and don't have to last - and are easy to
move around. But I don't give much for your chances of making one for
300 quid if you can buy one for that no matter what the condition. ;-)

There's always that blue one sitting at the back of one of the studios
in TV Centre.

Very long time since Dr Who was made at TVC. It actually started at
Riverside, and perhaps the majority were made at Lime Grove. ;-)

In 1992, I went to visit a friend who worked at BBC Television Centre.

The Tardis was sitting in the middle of one of the carpentry shops. It
was being used as a dustbin. It was full of sawdust.

Surely there was more than one TARDIS - from a full-size (external) to small
desk-top models for various shots? (not to mention all the interiors!). It
sounds like the dustbin was one of the middling sized boxes. Having spent the
evening trying to improve a mock-up of a (sort-of) TARDIS for a magazine I'm
getting quite attached to the object! ;-)

T i m

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:33:04 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

Surely there was more than one TARDIS

Being a time machine I assume the same one could be at several places
at the same time ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message

Show your Mum

http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART12810.html

Then she can go and choose her model.

Neat .. I think they would spot us loading one into the trailer though
.. less we dress at BT engineers ;-)

No, dear, she could take photographs and dimensions and then tell you
exactly what she wanted so that you don't have to worry your pretty little
head about it :-)

Mary

T i m

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:51:41 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Neat .. I think they would spot us loading one into the trailer though
.. less we dress at BT engineers ;-)

No, dear, she could take photographs and dimensions and then tell you
exactly what she wanted so that you don't have to worry your pretty little
head about it :-)

Oh I get it, they are just display models and they have ones all
flatpacked out the back ready to take away ... (doh). ;-)

Thanks Mary ...

T i m

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Neat .. I think they would spot us loading one into the trailer though
.. less we dress at BT engineers ;-)

No, dear, she could take photographs and dimensions and then tell you
exactly what she wanted so that you don't have to worry your pretty little
head about it :-)

Oh I get it, they are just display models and they have ones all
flatpacked out the back ready to take away ... (doh). ;-)

Thanks Mary ...

sigh

Ask your Mum to remind you what a museum is...

Mary

T i m

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Mary Fisher
wrote:

That doesn't take much doing,men are easily satisfiedin my experience.

The woman who thinks that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach,
is aiming a little too high.

(tm) Joan Collins ?

--
AJL
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
wrote:
There's always that blue one sitting at the back of one of the studios
in TV Centre.

Very long time since Dr Who was made at TVC. It actually started at
Riverside, and perhaps the majority were made at Lime Grove. ;-)

In 1992, I went to visit a friend who worked at BBC Television Centre.

The Tardis was sitting in the middle of one of the carpentry shops. It
was being used as a dustbin. It was full of sawdust.

Trying to remember when the original Dr Who run finished - I left the BBC
in '78. And of course many of the later episodes were made at TVC. But did
you mean the interior or the exterior?

I actually worked on EP1 with William Hartnell, and IIRC it was made twice
in two different studios being a pilot with so many tech things to sort.
My crew thought it rubbish. ;-)

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Cartmell wrote:
The Tardis was sitting in the middle of one of the carpentry shops. It
was being used as a dustbin. It was full of sawdust.

Surely there was more than one TARDIS - from a full-size (external) to
small desk-top models for various shots?

Bound to have been.

--
* What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

horribly inefficient fixed line phone Sam Electronics Repair 3 October 1st 04 06:57 PM
Phone Line Problem - Plea barry martin Home Repair 1 July 3rd 04 03:09 PM
46/49MHz? 900MHz? 2.4GHz? Which cordless phone to use? Green Giant Electronics Repair 3 August 21st 03 04:16 PM
Phone Wiring Question B Home Repair 14 July 30th 03 04:35 PM
2.4Ghz phone vs 900Mhz Spread Spectrum Jerry Greenberg Metalworking 0 July 16th 03 01:33 AM