John

Default Shower Tray Base MIx

I will be puting a shower base down in the morning onto an exterior ply
'sledge'. What strength should the sand & Cement be (4:1, 5:1...) and
should it be reasonably dry or sloppy so the base settles into it?

Cheers

John

oli4uk

Is this advice too late ?

After installing my own IMHO the ratio is neither here nor there. 4:1,
5:1 will do the job, and just ensure that the cement is malleable
enough to 'work with'. However, I would say, make sure you place the
cement to fill the gaps in reverse side of the shower tray. This would
be low and smooth ish in the middle and a highish ridge running around
the outside. That will ensure no movement. I believe that's the desired
result when installing !

Oh and make sure you clean up the cement from the outside edges once it
is in place. This will ensure whatever flooring you choose fits neatly
around the shower base. It also means there's no chiseling after it has
set to remove it, and the potential mishap in hitting the shower tray
itself.

HTHs - Oliver.

John

"John" wrote in message
I will be puting a shower base down in the morning onto an exterior ply
'sledge'. What strength should the sand & Cement be (4:1, 5:1...) and
should it be reasonably dry or sloppy so the base settles into it?

Cheers

John

I am the original poster of this. I have now done the tray. As I need to
now install the cubicle etc. How long do I need to leave the mortar before
it is set enough for me to stand in the tray. If it helps with calculations
the tray is 800mm square and the mortar is approx 1/2" (13mm) thick.

Cheers

John

Shower tray - laying mosaic tiles Steve UK diy 1 September 7th 05 08:21 AM
Shower base issue PhilÅ UK diy 2 December 24th 04 11:55 AM
Acrylic shower base -- can it be recoated? Tom Miller Home Repair 1 December 19th 04 10:41 PM
Help Me - Please Help Me Find This Shower Base Linux Lover Home Repair 16 November 15th 04 08:23 PM
Routing waste pipe past shower tray Mike Barnes UK diy 5 September 4th 03 01:12 PM