Bob Eager

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:31:04 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

As is so often the case, the American English version is the 'purer' of
the two. Fowler says that 'practise' (as the noun and verb) is American
English, and is the verb (but not the noun) in British English.

All the Americans I know use'practice' for both verb and noun.

Probably not a significant sample.

Mary failed to specify that she was limiting her comment to British
English.

This is UK.diy

That does not constitute a qualification.
http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com
aam

Learn to love them - they may prove to be more loveable than many of
your friends - and certainly more durable :-)
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 09:54:35 GMT, "johnnybegood"
wrote:

Whats the best way to deal with ants in our garden ?.

We've tried the usual powdered products, but they keep coming back.

TIA

woodglass....

Mary Fisher

wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

As is so often the case, the American English version is the 'purer' of
the two. Fowler says that 'practise' (as the noun and verb) is American
English, and is the verb (but not the noun) in British English.

All the Americans I know use'practice' for both verb and noun.

Probably not a significant sample.

Mary failed to specify that she was limiting her comment to British
English.

This is UK.diy

That does not constitute a qualification.

It means that I don't need to define what language I'm using to readers.

Those who do read my posts know what to expect, they needn't waste time
opening them. There's a growing muber of posters whose posts I ignore.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"aam" wrote in message
Learn to love them - they may prove to be more loveable than many of
your friends - and certainly more durable :-)

And with far more interesting lives.

Mary

Bob Eager

wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

As is so often the case, the American English version is the 'purer' of
the two. Fowler says that 'practise' (as the noun and verb) is American
English, and is the verb (but not the noun) in British English.

All the Americans I know use'practice' for both verb and noun.

Probably not a significant sample.

Mary failed to specify that she was limiting her comment to British
English.

This is UK.diy

That does not constitute a qualification.

It means that I don't need to define what language I'm using to readers.

Those who do read my posts know what to expect, they needn't waste time
opening them. There's a growing muber of posters whose posts I ignore.

Touched a nerve, I see...
http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com

Mary Fisher

wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

As is so often the case, the American English version is the 'purer'
of
the two. Fowler says that 'practise' (as the noun and verb) is
American
English, and is the verb (but not the noun) in British English.

All the Americans I know use'practice' for both verb and noun.

Probably not a significant sample.

Mary failed to specify that she was limiting her comment to British
English.

This is UK.diy

That does not constitute a qualification.

It means that I don't need to define what language I'm using to readers.

Those who do read my posts know what to expect, they needn't waste time
opening them. There's a growing muber of posters whose posts I ignore.

Touched a nerve, I see...

er ?

You're a dentist?

Mary

Andy Hall

On 7 Sep 2005 09:20:31 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:46:33 UTC, "John Schmitt"
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:04:26 +0100, Mary Fisher
wrote:

I am out of practise.

It is not the correct Latin.

'practise' isn't even the correct English!

Exactly which variety of English are you referring to? I think you will
find that the original Middle French word-root from which the word came
into English used the "S" spelling. The "C" spelling is a neologism.

As is so often the case, the American English version is the 'purer' of
the two. Fowler says that 'practise' (as the noun and verb) is American
English, and is the verb (but not the noun) in British English.

Outrageous. You'll be suggesting next that it's OK to use "leverage"
as a verb, that "repurpose" is a word and that "momentarily" should be
used where "momently" is correct ;-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Bob Eager

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:02:57 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

As is so often the case, the American English version is the 'purer' of
the two. Fowler says that 'practise' (as the noun and verb) is American
English, and is the verb (but not the noun) in British English.

Outrageous. You'll be suggesting next that it's OK to use "leverage"
as a verb, that "repurpose" is a word and that "momentarily" should be
used where "momently" is correct ;-)

Of course not; they are all abominations. But there are cases where the
word has changed over time in Britain, but remained in its original form
in America. And some words ('faucet' comes to mind) which have
completely disappeared 'over here'.

http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com
Andy Hall

On 7 Sep 2005 17:08:55 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:02:57 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

As is so often the case, the American English version is the 'purer' of
the two. Fowler says that 'practise' (as the noun and verb) is American
English, and is the verb (but not the noun) in British English.

Outrageous. You'll be suggesting next that it's OK to use "leverage"
as a verb, that "repurpose" is a word and that "momentarily" should be
used where "momently" is correct ;-)

Of course not; they are all abominations. But there are cases where the
word has changed over time in Britain, but remained in its original form
in America. And some words ('faucet' comes to mind) which have
completely disappeared 'over here'.

There are some. "Rabbet" rather than "rebate" used in joinery, for
example. "Gotten" may be another one, bu still makes my teeth grind.

A guy from Georgia enrolled at Harvard and on his first day there was
walking across the campus and asked an upperclassman (drawling
heavily),"Excuse me, can you tell me where the library is at?"

The upperclassman responded, "At Harvard we do not end sentences with
prepositions."

The Georgian then replied,
"Well then, could you tell me where the library is at, asshole?"

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

some words ('faucet' comes to mind) which have
completely disappeared 'over here'.

? It hasn't.

There are some. "Rabbet" rather than "rebate" used in joinery, for
example. "Gotten" may be another one, bu still makes my teeth grind.

Yes, but just because Americans haven't made progress in some parts of their
language doesn't mean that we should use it. We develop our own and words
are correct in their *present* context, not the historical one. Very few
people would be able to understand mediaeval English.

A guy from Georgia enrolled at Harvard and on his first day there was
walking across the campus and asked an upperclassman (drawling
heavily),"Excuse me, can you tell me where the library is at?"

The upperclassman responded, "At Harvard we do not end sentences with
prepositions."

The Georgian then replied,
"Well then, could you tell me where the library is at, asshole?"

:-)

Mary

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , woodglass
wrote:

All this **** has nothing to do with the original post !!!!!!!!!!

WHAT original post? As you couldn't be bothered to post the right way up,
nor trim to context, we are non the wiser.

AJL
Mary Fisher

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
In article , woodglass
wrote:

... nothing to do with the original post !!!!!!!!!!

WHAT original post? As you couldn't be bothered to post the right way up,
nor trim to context, we are non the wiser.

:-)

Mary

Chris Bacon

woodglass wrote:
If you are unaware of the original post why bother reading and
replying to any threads ?.

Posting as you do upsets your general audience, and is
counter-productive. WRT the original post, reading the
first reply normally gives a good idea - saving having
to read two or more. Anyway, it's like life in general,
if you upset/annoy people, they won't want to help you
or talk to you....

Try to read and apply:

woodglass

I'm outta this playground !.

The concept of newsgroups is a fantastic idea, but is wasted by those people
who post absolute nonsense replies to the topic(s) in question rather than
replying to the obvious subject in question !!!!

woodglass...

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
woodglass wrote:
If you are unaware of the original post why bother reading and
replying to any threads ?.

Posting as you do upsets your general audience, and is
counter-productive. WRT the original post, reading the
first reply normally gives a good idea - saving having
to read two or more. Anyway, it's like life in general,
if you upset/annoy people, they won't want to help you
or talk to you....

Try to read and apply:

Chris Bacon

woodglass wrote:
I'm outta this playground !.

Not my loss, mind the step blundering your way out. Bye.

raden

In message , Owain
writes
woodglass wrote:
All this **** has nothing to do with the original post !!!!!!!!!!

looks round

Yup, this *is* a newsgroup.

And you're a very naughty boy

100 lines

"I must write about how to deal with ants"

on my desk by 9 o'clock monday morning young lad

--
geoff

raden

In message , woodglass
writes
If you are unaware of the original post why bother reading and replying to
any threads ?.

A.t.rec.toppostingpillocks is that way
---------------------------------

somewhere

wrote:

All this **** has nothing to do with the original post !!!!!!!!!!

WHAT original post? As you couldn't be bothered to post the right way up,
nor trim to context, we are non the wiser.

AJL

--
geoff

raden

In message , woodglass
writes
Is, by any chance your middle name Philip, Paul, or Peter ?

woodglass...

Before we start getting offensive back, would you like to stop
a) top posting and
b) trying to wind people up

there's a basic law of newsgroups which goes something like this

if you attack everyone, you end up looking a **** and being ostracised

so either grow up or **** off

--
geoff
woodglass

"raden" wrote in message
In message , woodglass
writes

I think I'll grow up, and you can do the ****ing off !!!! :-)

--
geoff

raden

In message , woodglass
writes
"raden" wrote in message
In message , woodglass
writes
Is, by any chance your middle name Philip, Paul, or Peter ?

woodglass...

Before we start getting offensive back, would you like to stop
a) top posting and
b) trying to wind people up

there's a basic law of newsgroups which goes something like this

if you attack everyone, you end up looking a **** and being ostracised

so either grow up or **** off

I think I'll grow up, and you can do the ****ing off !!!! :-)

I was here long before you came along and I'll prolly be here long after
you've gone thanks

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"woodglass" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm outta this playground !.

waves

Bysie bye!

raden wrote:
woodglass writes
"raden" wrote
woodglass writes
Is, by any chance your middle name Philip, Paul, or Peter ?

woodglass...

Before we start getting offensive back, would you like to stop
a) top posting and
b) trying to wind people up

there's a basic law of newsgroups which goes something like this
if you attack everyone, you end up looking a **** and being ostracised
so either grow up or **** off

I think I'll grow up, and you can do the ****ing off !!!! :-)

I was here long before you came along and I'll prolly be here long after
you've gone thanks

VBG I think i've been killfiled after warning everyone about B&Q
lavs.

Never realised you were all so sensitive.

Either that, or no-one has a clue about wood floors

Paul.