Kevin Brady

Default Feathering plaster skim: Can it be done?

I've posted a few queries regarding skim plaster in the last few weeks, and
weekend by weekend, my efforts are improving within the downstairs loo:
concrete ceiling first, then brick wall then drylined plasterboard wall. the
skim on the drylining was a lot easier and DID look the best (no surprise
there).

UNTIL

I fitted a new DG window into the drylined wall last weekend and finished
the reveals last night, complete with corner beads for reinforcement. I had
planned to feather the plaster from the beads onto the mirror-like finish i
had achieved previously on the plasterboard dry lining - instead i got an
awful drawn out mess at the edges, covering 50% of the wall in an attempt to
feather out smoothly (lots of water, panic sponging and bad language).

I am now resigned to PVA and skimming this wall all over again, but wondered
if it IS possible to succesfully feather a new skimmed area into a
previously plastered one, or if it's generally accepted that you do the
whole wall.

In this instance it's not a big deal 'cos it's a small wall and frankly I'm
enjoying the practice, but I had planned on 'touching up' areas of the
living room afterward...

Cheers.

KB, Oxford

Stuart Noble

Michael Mcneil wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message

Allegedly Polyfilla feathers better than plaster, due to the small particle
size.

Plenty of dilute PVA first.

Filler has its own binder built in, so it shouldn't be necessary.
fred

In article , Kevin
Brady writes
I fitted a new DG window into the drylined wall last weekend and finished
the reveals last night, complete with corner beads for reinforcement. I had
planned to feather the plaster from the beads onto the mirror-like finish i
had achieved previously on the plasterboard dry lining - instead i got an
awful drawn out mess at the edges, covering 50% of the wall in an attempt to
feather out smoothly (lots of water, panic sponging and bad language).

I'm no expert in this area but board jointing mix is reputed to be good for
feathering.
--
fred

Ian Garthwaite

I'm no expert in this area but board jointing mix is reputed to be good
for
feathering.
--
fred

Jointing compound is really good but don't try filling deep ridges etc. as
it does tend to shink!
DAMHIKT

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
drywall v. skim coat plaster New Arty Boy Home Repair 6 June 30th 04 01:38 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
Plaster Skim Tips Andy Hide UK diy 4 November 12th 03 02:38 PM
How can I fix cracks in plaster of old house? Phil Munro Home Repair 5 October 18th 03 10:48 AM