Kevin Brady

Default Feathering plaster skim: Can it be done?

I've posted a few queries regarding skim plaster in the last few weeks, and
weekend by weekend, my efforts are improving within the downstairs loo:
concrete ceiling first, then brick wall then drylined plasterboard wall. the
skim on the drylining was a lot easier and DID look the best (no surprise
there).

UNTIL

I fitted a new DG window into the drylined wall last weekend and finished
the reveals last night, complete with corner beads for reinforcement. I had
planned to feather the plaster from the beads onto the mirror-like finish i
had achieved previously on the plasterboard dry lining - instead i got an
awful drawn out mess at the edges, covering 50% of the wall in an attempt to
feather out smoothly (lots of water, panic sponging and bad language).

I am now resigned to PVA and skimming this wall all over again, but wondered
if it IS possible to succesfully feather a new skimmed area into a
previously plastered one, or if it's generally accepted that you do the
whole wall.

In this instance it's not a big deal 'cos it's a small wall and frankly I'm
enjoying the practice, but I had planned on 'touching up' areas of the
living room afterward...

Cheers.

KB, Oxford