Default Gas leak problem - please help,

I connected a manometer up to my gas meter and the pressure shot to
about 30. When I turned the gas off to test for leaks the pressure
started to drop. I stopped when the pressure got to about 12mbar. I
bought some gas leak detector spray and sprayed it on every joint but
could not find a leak.

Any suggestions anyone?

Many thanks in advance.

Andy Hall

On 29 Aug 2005 12:01:10 -0700, wrote:

I connected a manometer up to my gas meter and the pressure shot to
about 30. When I turned the gas off to test for leaks the pressure
started to drop. I stopped when the pressure got to about 12mbar. I
bought some gas leak detector spray and sprayed it on every joint but
could not find a leak.

Any suggestions anyone?

Many thanks in advance.

Turn off all of the appliance isolating valves and repeat the test
using the procedure described in
http://www.cda.org.uk/megab2/build/pub124/default.htm

Section 6.

If there is still a leak (indicated by a pressure drop outsider spec)
after this, then turn off the gas at the meter and identify where the
leak is. If you are sure that you have tested all the joints then it
must be in a hidden section of pipe.

If there is only a pressure drop when an appliance isolating valve is
open, then the fault is with that appliance and needs to be fixed.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy

wrote in message
oups.com...
I connected a manometer up to my gas meter and the pressure shot to
about 30. When I turned the gas off to test for leaks the pressure
started to drop. I stopped when the pressure got to about 12mbar. I
bought some gas leak detector spray and sprayed it on every joint but
could not find a leak.

Any suggestions anyone?

Many thanks in advance.

Not to speculate about your leak, but your reading of 30mbar is the gas
supply pressure in the gas main, and not the regulated pressure after
the gas meter; the gas meter pressure regulator only works when it has
a load ( i.e. a working gas appliance ) to supply, that is, there is gas
flow
through the meter. If you turn on a gas appliance, like a gas hob, then
measure the pressure after the gas meter, you should get 20mbar or so.

As for your leak, if it is still there, the only way to find it is detective
work
How many appliances do you hav connected to the gas? Can you isolate them
from the gas pipe to rule them out as the source of the leak etc etc.

Andy.