Rick

Default Tricke Vents

I have just ordered my windows after a big search.

The people making them have now said I need trickle vents - but do I.

The ones most people fit are horrid plastic things that look OK in
UPVc but terrible in real wood.

Is there anything I can do to avoid having trickle vents ?

Does anybody know of nice brass trickle vents, that I can fit myself ?

Thanks
Rick
fred

In article , Rick
writes
I have just ordered my windows after a big search.

The people making them have now said I need trickle vents - but do I.

The ones most people fit are horrid plastic things that look OK in
UPVc but terrible in real wood.

Is there anything I can do to avoid having trickle vents ?

Does anybody know of nice brass trickle vents, that I can fit myself ?

I think there is a requirement for trickle ventilation but the source doesn't
need to be the windows*, it just happens that this is normally the most
convenient place for it.

Is this a supply only job, a supply & fit by fensa approved, a job already
involving building control?

If it is a fensa job then tell them that the ventilation will be provided by other
means. In the very unlikely event that the fitters notice then tell them that
there are wall vents going in later. If you have a BCO involved then you will
have to do something but will be able to put in your own pretty ones or
may be able to provide an alternate source of ventilation, ask him/her.

* Sorry I don't have a reference to support this belief so please do your own
homework to support it.
--
fred
Ziggur

In article , news@pen-y-
geulan.com says...
I have just ordered my windows after a big search.

The people making them have now said I need trickle vents - but do I.

The ones most people fit are horrid plastic things that look OK in
UPVc but terrible in real wood.

Is there anything I can do to avoid having trickle vents ?

Does anybody know of nice brass trickle vents, that I can fit myself ?

Thanks
Rick

Why make the assumption that they will fit "horrid plastic things"?

If you discuss your requirements with the fabricators they can probably
supply a vent that you like. Fitting a DIY set after installation could
be a messy chore.

In certain circumstances you can avoid the need for trickle vents if you
have lockable top vents with a "night ventilation" option. Fred has also
pointed out that passive ventilation does not have to be through the new
window frames.

Without details of your order and the source of supply (which I don't
want! ) it is not possible to give specific advice other than to
suggest that you tell the suppier what you want.

--
Ziggur

"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"
John Rumm

Rick wrote:

The people making them have now said I need trickle vents - but do I.

If you spec windows with two stage locks that allow them to be "closed"
but still slightly ajar then you won't need separate vents.

(I know this, because I speced trickel vents on the windows, showed them
to the BCO along with the two stage opening, and he said that they would
have been happy with the openers alone!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Rick

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 00:58:31 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Rick wrote:

The people making them have now said I need trickle vents - but do I.

If you spec windows with two stage locks that allow them to be "closed"
but still slightly ajar then you won't need separate vents.

(I know this, because I speced trickel vents on the windows, showed them
to the BCO along with the two stage opening, and he said that they would
have been happy with the openers alone!)

Excerlent news, I was wondering if the 2 stage lock would be enough,
from my reading of the regs it seemed they would be.

Thanks
Rick

Tony Williams

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

(I know this, because I speced trickel vents on the windows,
showed them to the BCO along with the two stage opening, and he
said that they would have been happy with the openers alone!)

Yes. Our two-stage dg windows were ok'd by the BCO, for
use with a woodburner in the lounge.

However, next door has a gas fire and they were advised
that non-closeable ventilation was a requirement.

--
Tony Williams.

Roof vents flash UK diy 11 June 24th 05 08:58 PM
Number of return vents vs. supply vents jeff Home Repair 6 November 9th 04 04:05 PM
Adding A/C Vents this way barry martin Home Repair 0 June 5th 04 04:36 PM
Damp patch around air vents in bedroom Nathan Critchlow-Watton UK diy 6 January 12th 04 07:09 PM
# of soffit and roof vents???? Cory Lechner Home Repair 6 August 23rd 03 03:49 AM