Bert Coules

Default Ventilation for audio-visual gear

I have some audio-visual gear (principally a video projector) mounted on a
high shelf, just below ceiling level, in which position it's in danger of
overheating unless I can increase the ventilation. Directly above the
ceiling is an unused part of the loft: if I install a vent grill (or even
more than one) in the ceiling, will that provide enough of an escape route
for the heat? In this section of the loft the floor is insulated but not
the underside of the roof, and the loft gets very hot in warm weather - will
this prevent the hot air from the electronics rising away from the shelf?
Obviously, I would remove the insulation from above the grill or grills.

I suppose the ideal arrangement would be a fan-assisted duct route leading
through the roof to the outside, but I'd prefer something simpler if
possible. I assume that anything would be better than the present
arrangement, which is a real hot-air trap.

It's one of those niggly things which I should have thought of at the design
stage, but didn't.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Ian Stirling

Bert Coules wrote:
I have some audio-visual gear (principally a video projector) mounted on a
high shelf, just below ceiling level, in which position it's in danger of
overheating unless I can increase the ventilation. Directly above the
ceiling is an unused part of the loft: if I install a vent grill (or even
more than one) in the ceiling, will that provide enough of an escape route
for the heat? In this section of the loft the floor is insulated but not
the underside of the roof, and the loft gets very hot in warm weather - will
this prevent the hot air from the electronics rising away from the shelf?
Obviously, I would remove the insulation from above the grill or grills.

This will cause condensation in winter - unless the vents in the attic
are absolutely ideal.
What's wrong with a fan behind it, simply blowing the warm air into
the room?
Obviously, if the air above the hole is hotter than the air from the
projector, it won't rise.
Bert Coules

Ian,

Thanks for the reply.

What's wrong with a fan behind it, simply blowing the warm air into
the room?

Nothing, except that I'd rather not have the extra noise. Actually, I'm
wondering now if it's the air *intake* to the projector which is the major
problem. It's situated at the rear of the unit, which places it very close
to the wall: I suspect it's taking in air that's far warmer than is ideal.
Perhaps I should be thinking in terms of directing cold air towards the
projector rather than hot air away from it - though I suppose ideally, I
should do both.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk