Steven Campbell

Default smell in bathroom due to plumbing

I installed our bath, toilet and sink. The sink and bath have the usual
U-bend plumbing pieces as does the toilet (built in).

Every now and again there is a horrible smell in the bathroom like rotten
eggs. No its not my wife ;o) It can sometimes be there for a couple of days
and then disappears again.

I thought the U bends would stop all smells. Is there anything I can try to
eradicate the problem.

Cheers

Steven.

Set Square

Steven Campbell wrote:

I installed our bath, toilet and sink. The sink and bath have the
usual U-bend plumbing pieces as does the toilet (built in).

Every now and again there is a horrible smell in the bathroom like
rotten eggs. No its not my wife ;o) It can sometimes be there for a
couple of days and then disappears again.

I thought the U bends would stop all smells. Is there anything I can
try to eradicate the problem.

Cheers

Steven.

It sounds as if you sometimes have a depresion (partial vacuum) in your
waste system which pulling (sucking dry) one or more of your U-bends or
traps.

When this problem occurs, does the water level drop in the toilet? What sort
of traps do you have on the bath and basin? You may be able to fit deeper
ones which are less likely to be pulled.

Your soil stack may be inadequately ventillated. Does it go up to roof
level, where it is open to the atmosphere? If not, how is it vented?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Set Square" writes:

It sounds as if you sometimes have a depresion (partial vacuum) in your
waste system which pulling (sucking dry) one or more of your U-bends or
traps.

When this problem occurs, does the water level drop in the toilet? What sort
of traps do you have on the bath and basin? You may be able to fit deeper
ones which are less likely to be pulled.

Bath ones are often particularly shallow and more prone
to sucking empty. Do any of them girgle away when you
finish draining the sink, bath, or loo?
Also, if this is a vistor bathroom and might go unused
for a while, traps can dry out.

Your soil stack may be inadequately ventillated. Does it go up to roof
level, where it is open to the atmosphere? If not, how is it vented?

You can get air admitance valves to prevent u-traps being
sucked empty. Either stand-alone to be inserted in the waste
pipe (and bigger versions for soil stacks), or integral with
U-traps.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Bathroom renovation help [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 9th 05 09:15 PM
Bathroom renovation help Joseph Meehan Home Repair 0 February 8th 05 06:04 PM
Hydrogen Sulphur Smell from one fixture Sox04 Home Repair 18 May 18th 04 03:48 PM
Bathroom Mirror. Terry Home Repair 2 May 2nd 04 10:42 PM
bathroom wall - advice on plumbing into it! guns4jesus UK diy 3 December 4th 03 03:35 PM