Set Square

Steven Campbell wrote:

I installed our bath, toilet and sink. The sink and bath have the
usual U-bend plumbing pieces as does the toilet (built in).

Every now and again there is a horrible smell in the bathroom like
rotten eggs. No its not my wife ;o) It can sometimes be there for a
couple of days and then disappears again.

I thought the U bends would stop all smells. Is there anything I can
try to eradicate the problem.

Cheers

Steven.

It sounds as if you sometimes have a depresion (partial vacuum) in your
waste system which pulling (sucking dry) one or more of your U-bends or
traps.

When this problem occurs, does the water level drop in the toilet? What sort
of traps do you have on the bath and basin? You may be able to fit deeper
ones which are less likely to be pulled.

Your soil stack may be inadequately ventillated. Does it go up to roof
level, where it is open to the atmosphere? If not, how is it vented?
--
Cheers,
Set Square