Junior Member

Default Pipe identification for Potterton Puma 80

Hello,

my pilot light no longer goes on (but it does spark) after the nice man at British Gas replaced the gas meter. After he left I managed to get the pilot on, and this was OK for a few weeks. Now it's gone off again.

I've checked the threads on this site, and on the troubleshooting flowchart on the back of the front plate of the boiler and would like to check the following:

- whether the thermocouple needs to be replaced. How do I check this?
- whether the pilot injector is blocked

I've taken a picture of the three pipes which are reponsible for the pilot. Could somebody be so kind as to identify which pipe is which?

thx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pipes2.jpg (32.2 KB, 84 views)
Harry Bloomfield

dsana123 formulated the question :
whether the thermocouple needs to be replaced. How do I check this?

It might look mishapen, though not always. If you can ignite the pilot,
but it goes out after you have held the button in for 15 seconds, then
it probably is the thermocouple. It might also be the gas valve, but
quicker and much cheaper to replace the thermocouple as a first check.

- whether the pilot injector is blocked

If you cannot ignite the pilot light at all, even with a match (with
button pressed in), then there is either no gas, or pilot jet is
blocked.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Junior Member

Don't worry, matter is now resolved. I removed the whole assembly and figured it out.

Cleaned the pilot injector, reassembled everything, and then I managed to get the pilot to switch on.

The pilot injector holes are tiny!!!