Uno Hoo!

Default Stand-alone PIRs

Can anyone explain why it is that stand-alone PIR detectors are invariably
more expensive than complete spot/flood lights with PIR combined? !!

Kev

Ben Willcox

Uno Hoo! wrote:
Can anyone explain why it is that stand-alone PIR detectors are invariably
more expensive than complete spot/flood lights with PIR combined? !!

Dunno but I bought a load from B&Q a few weeks ago for £2 each. Don't
know if they have any left now though....

Ben.
Uno Hoo!

"Ben Willcox" wrote in message
Uno Hoo! wrote:
Can anyone explain why it is that stand-alone PIR detectors are
invariably more expensive than complete spot/flood lights with PIR
combined? !!

Dunno but I bought a load from B&Q a few weeks ago for £2 each. Don't know
if they have any left now though....

I just bought one from B&Q and it cost me £12.95. A combined flood and PIR
cost me £7.95!

Kev

Andrew Gabriel

Uno Hoo! wrote:
Can anyone explain why it is that stand-alone PIR detectors are
invariably more expensive than complete spot/flood lights with PIR
combined? !!

Dunno but I bought a load from B&Q a few weeks ago for £2 each. Don't know
if they have any left now though....

I just bought one from B&Q and it cost me £12.95. A combined flood and PIR
cost me £7.95!

Well, they probably both cost only a couple of quid to make.
You pay what the market will bear, which is usually unrelated
to the manfacturing cost (except it has to be higher).

The standalone one does have a relay in it.
The one integral with the light probably doesn't.

The standalone one is likely to be used in better planned
and more expensive installations which will bear the extra
cost. The one integral with the light is at the cheapest
end of the DIY market where price it key.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Uno Hoo!

"Andrew Gabriel" andrew@a17 wrote in message
.. .

Uno Hoo! wrote:
[...]

Yes - there is a difference between the two that I have bought. The
stand-alone it will operate several lights and also can be adjusted for time
delay and 'dusk' sensitivity. The combined version will only operate that
one light and is set for one minute with no light sensitivity adjustment.
Still a big difference in price, however, bearing in mind that the combined
PIR comes with a bloody great floodlight, mounting bracket, and a 500w bulb!

Kev