David Lang

Default Skimming Concrete

Hi

Rob Morley gave me the idea of stripping the surface of my concrete drive
with a scabbler and skimming it.

This looks a workable idea, so;

How thick is the skim and what sort of mix?

Do I lay it just like concrete between formwork?

Do I need a bonding agent?

Dave

John Schmitt

David Lang wrote:

Rob Morley gave me the idea of stripping the surface of my concrete drive
with a scabbler and skimming it.

Not being awkward, but why?

This looks a workable idea, so;

How thick is the skim and what sort of mix?

3:1 sand/cement with about 6:1 PVA/water, prime the surface with the PVA
mix and allow to dry first. 1" minimum and cover with 500 gauge
polythene for a week or so to retain water.

Do I lay it just like concrete between formwork?

Better to install a couple of screeds (wooden rails) on stakes either
side. Pour in the mix, and use a third piece of timber across them to
shuffle along the job to get your flat surface As it is a driveway the
slightly rough surface will be a boon on frosty mornings. You may of
course finish the surface with a float.

Do I need a bonding agent?

As above.

John Schmitt

David Lang

"John Schmitt" wrote in message
Rob Morley gave me the idea of stripping the surface of my concrete
drive with a scabbler and skimming it.

Not being awkward, but why?

To save a considerable amount of work!

Dave

Straw Bales as Concrete Void Form for Garage Floor Wpg Man Home Repair 18 June 12th 21 08:25 PM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Ownership 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM