TheTaffia

Default Quick plumbing question

I have a normal two story 1980's house with a conventional hot water
setup, hot water header tank in the loft, hot water cylinder (cistern?)
in an airing cupboard on the 1st floor.

I have recently bought a 'Trevi Boost' venturi shower valve which
demands its own feed from the hot water tank, and I am wondering
whether I can simply put a Surrey Flange on top of my HW cylinder and
then go up into the loft, across the top of the joists (below the level
of the header tank) and then down into the bathroom. Would that work? I
guess I could do a test with some hose, but I thought I'd check here
before I do something rash.

Its just that I'm don't want to go through the hassle of lifting floor
boards and notching joists. Chipboard floors are a PITA.

Thanks in advance

RJ.

Christian McArdle

Would that work? I guess I could do a test with some hose, but I
thought I'd check here before I do something rash.

I don't see why not, although it will be harder to fill and remove airlocks.

Christian.

TheTaffia

I had thought of this, and was considering fitting a double check valve
just before it goes up into the loft, since I will have to have one on
both supplies to the shower anyway (or maybe its just the mains cold).
Would that work? Or would I end up flooding somewhere and enduring
weeks of nasty looks from 'her in-doors'?

Christian McArdle

I had thought of this, and was considering fitting a double check valve
just before it goes up into the loft, since I will have to have one on
both supplies to the shower anyway (or maybe its just the mains cold).
Would that work? Or would I end up flooding somewhere and enduring
weeks of nasty looks from 'her in-doors'?

What is more useful is a bleeding valve at the top of the loop, preferably
before any check valves, as the gravity flow may not be enough to operate
the check valve. Indeed, I would probably attempt to avoid any check valve
at all in the gravity line. It already has an air break (the cold supply
tank) which should meet water regs as a one way valve. You do need one in
the cold supply line.

Christian.

Doctor Drivel

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
I had thought of this, and was considering fitting a double check valve
just before it goes up into the loft, since I will have to have one on
both supplies to the shower anyway (or maybe its just the mains cold).
Would that work? Or would I end up flooding somewhere and enduring
weeks of nasty looks from 'her in-doors'?

What is more useful is a bleeding valve at the top of the loop, preferably
before any check valves, as the gravity flow may not be enough to operate
the check valve. Indeed, I would probably attempt to avoid any check valve
at all in the gravity line. It already has an air break (the cold supply
tank) which should meet water regs as a one way valve. You do need one in
the cold supply line.

Drop the check valve.
Have the pipe 22mm all the way.
Have an air bleed at the highest point in the loft.
Use only bends and no elbows
Use a Surrey type of flange

That will do it

TheTaffia

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I will update you when I have a pipe run in place and (hopefully)
working.