Dee

Default New Green Baize Top for a Card Table?

I have inherited an old card table (playing cards!).
It is a beautiful piece of furnitue but the green baize covering on the
table is in poor repair.
I want to replace it.
It looks like it is just a square of cloth 'stuck' onto the wood base.
But life is never that simple! Anyobe ever done this please?
Does the green cloth perchance come with a peel-off stickey back? Probably
not.
Glue?

Any advice on how to proceed much appreciated.

Dee

raden

In message , Dee
writes
I have inherited an old card table (playing cards!).
It is a beautiful piece of furnitue but the green baize covering on the
table is in poor repair.
I want to replace it.
It looks like it is just a square of cloth 'stuck' onto the wood base.
But life is never that simple! Anyobe ever done this please?
Does the green cloth perchance come with a peel-off stickey back? Probably
not.
Glue?

Any advice on how to proceed much appreciated.

Isn't it normally tacked on with edging strip on the edges?

--
geoff
Rod

"Dee" wrote in
:

I have inherited an old card table (playing cards!).
It is a beautiful piece of furnitue but the green baize covering on
the table is in poor repair.
I want to replace it.
It looks like it is just a square of cloth 'stuck' onto the wood base.
But life is never that simple! Anyobe ever done this please?
Does the green cloth perchance come with a peel-off stickey back?
Probably not.
Glue?

Any advice on how to proceed much appreciated.

This is NOT advice - I *know* nothing. But I have a distant memory that,
traditionally, it was simply stuck on using something akin to wallpaper
paste! If so, it is likely that the paste would be applied to the table and
allowed to dry out a bit before laying the baize onto it. There might have
been some specific way of trimming the cloth as well.

Such a simple solution would also have allowed later removal and
replacement. Which is where you came in...

Please have a good search round to get some real advice - I don't want to
have given you some duff info. And don't even think for half a nanosecond
that anything self-adhesive is usable.

--
Rod
Dee

"Rod" wrote in message
. 4...
"Dee" wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks Rod, yes, I think the secret is in the adhesive.
Also in getting a very neat edge cut where it butts against the wooden edge
trim.
I'll keep searching!!
Dee

Dee

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Dee
writes
I have inherited an old card table (playing cards!).
It is a beautiful piece of furnitue but the green baize covering on the
table is in poor repair.
I want to replace it.
It looks like it is just a square of cloth 'stuck' onto the wood base.
But life is never that simple! Anyobe ever done this please?
Does the green cloth perchance come with a peel-off stickey back?
Probably
not.
Glue?

Any advice on how to proceed much appreciated.

Isn't it normally tacked on with edging strip on the edges?

--
geoff

Thanks Geoff, no, it is not held down by the wooden edging strip (altho'
there is one). Seems just to be a very neat cut and some form of adhesive.
Dee

raden

In message , Dee
writes
"raden" wrote in message
In message , Dee
writes
I have inherited an old card table (playing cards!).
It is a beautiful piece of furnitue but the green baize covering on the
table is in poor repair.
I want to replace it.
It looks like it is just a square of cloth 'stuck' onto the wood base.
But life is never that simple! Anyobe ever done this please?
Does the green cloth perchance come with a peel-off stickey back?
Probably
not.
Glue?

Any advice on how to proceed much appreciated.

Isn't it normally tacked on with edging strip on the edges?

--
geoff

Thanks Geoff, no, it is not held down by the wooden edging strip (altho'
there is one). Seems just to be a very neat cut and some form of adhesive.
Dee

In that case, I would use copydex or evostick (the disadvantage being
that eventually the sides will lift up)

or ... staple it on

the staples being on the underside of the table. The corners might be a
bit tricky, but pulling it tight should do a proper job

--
geoff
dave stanton

It looks like it is just a square of cloth 'stuck' onto the wood base.
But life is never that simple! Anyobe ever done this please?
Does the green cloth perchance come with a peel-off stickey back? Probably
not.
Glue?

Any advice on how to proceed much appreciated.

Dee

My father was a cabinet maker and I am sure he used to stick it down with
a glue which he melted in a pot. Try asking around furniture restorers.

Dave

David Lang

"dave stanton" wrote in message
Try asking around furniture restorers.

I was going to suggest ringing a billiard/pool/snooker table supplier.

Dave

Rod

BeeJay wrote in :

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:46:38 +0100, "Dee" wrote:

I have inherited an old card table (playing cards!).
It is a beautiful piece of furnitue but the green baize covering on
the table is in poor repair.
I want to replace it.
It looks like it is just a square of cloth 'stuck' onto the wood base.
But life is never that simple! Anyobe ever done this please?
Does the green cloth perchance come with a peel-off stickey back?
Probably not.
Glue?

Any advice on how to proceed much appreciated.

If you know where to obtain the green baize I would be obliged if you
could share the info as I have been looking for some but with no
success.

My partner suggests:

http://jamiltonupholstery.co.uk/shop_product.asp?dept=7

or, apparently, eBay!

--
Rod
ben

dave stanton wrote:
It looks like it is just a square of cloth 'stuck' onto the wood
base.
But life is never that simple! Anyobe ever done this please?
Does the green cloth perchance come with a peel-off stickey back?
Probably not.
Glue?

Any advice on how to proceed much appreciated.

Dee

My father was a cabinet maker and I am sure he used to stick it down
with a glue which he melted in a pot. Try asking around furniture
restorers.

Dave

That is correct, twas called "animal glue" made from bones. Ha the smell of
thaat stuff in the woodwork room of me old school days(violin concerto no.5)
:-) It was this glue that probably got used and the beize was compressed in
a makeshift vice to really flatten the glue to adhere on the felt and wood,
however evostick wood glue will be a modern alternative, the felt can be got
from off cuts at a local billiard/pool table makers or antique restorers.

ben

BeeJay wrote:
On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:46:38 +0100, "Dee" wrote:

I have inherited an old card table (playing cards!).
It is a beautiful piece of furnitue but the green baize covering on
the table is in poor repair.
I want to replace it.
It looks like it is just a square of cloth 'stuck' onto the wood
base.
But life is never that simple! Anyobe ever done this please?
Does the green cloth perchance come with a peel-off stickey back?
Probably not.
Glue?

Any advice on how to proceed much appreciated.

Dee

If you know where to obtain the green baize I would be obliged if you
could share the info as I have been looking for some but with no
success.

Have you tried arts'n'crafts shops?

Rod

"Dee" wrote in
:

Thanks Rod, yes, I think the secret is in the adhesive.
Also in getting a very neat edge cut where it butts against the wooden
edge trim.
I'll keep searching!!

No idea how good this advice is:

http://www.antiquerestorationlondon.co.uk/pages/articles.htm

- but it is back to uk.d-i-y's favourite PVA!

--
Rod
raden

In message , David Lang
writes

"dave stanton" wrote in message
Try asking around furniture restorers.

I was going to suggest ringing a billiard/pool/snooker table supplier.

Beize for a snooker table is stretched and held in place by the sides,
it's not glued at all

--
geoff
Dee

"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
BeeJay wrote:
On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:46:38 +0100, "Dee" wrote:

I have inherited an old card table (playing cards!).
It is a beautiful piece of furnitue but the green baize covering on
the table is in poor repair.
I want to replace it.
It looks like it is just a square of cloth 'stuck' onto the wood
base.
But life is never that simple! Anyobe ever done this please?
Does the green cloth perchance come with a peel-off stickey back?
Probably not.
Glue?

Any advice on how to proceed much appreciated.

Dee

If you know where to obtain the green baize I would be obliged if you
could share the info as I have been looking for some but with no
success.

Have you tried arts'n'crafts shops?

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Will go buy the evostick and cloth and do some experiments first!
Dee

nightjar

"Dee" wrote in message
I have inherited an old card table (playing cards!).
It is a beautiful piece of furnitue but the green baize covering on the
table is in poor repair.
I want to replace it.
It looks like it is just a square of cloth 'stuck' onto the wood base.
But life is never that simple! Anyobe ever done this please?
Does the green cloth perchance come with a peel-off stickey back?
Probably not...

You used to be able to buy sticky backed green baize from the places that
sold Fablon.

Colin Bignell

David Lang

"raden" wrote in message
Beize for a snooker table is stretched and held in place by the sides,
it's not glued at all

That's my idea snookered then!

Dave

Material: J A Milton or Relics in Witney (both webbable)
Blues, dark greys, dark reds or black are other possible colours rather
than green. Cotton moleskins also work well rather than baize - they're
no good for billiards, but they're more hard-wearing generally.

As it's not for billiards, then it's easy. You can use any material,
use any glue, and it doesn't even need to be ironed afterwards.

Useful glues would be Evo-stik 528, PVA (cold), PVA (hot melt) or
animal glues. The animal glue you want is rabbit-skin based (or a
secret mixture) rather than woodworker's hide glue. This is similar,
but more flexible, and always a better choice for fabrics, leather or
paper.

Evo-stik is the commercial solution, because it's quickest. However it
needs accuracy and practice, because once it's down, it's _down_. I
wouldn't use it. It's also hard to clean off in future years.

Personally I'd use rabbit on a fine piece, hot melt PVA on average
work. Rabbit goes on hot and is applied "wet", PVA is applied cold and
allowed to dry, then used as a heat-activatable contact glue by ironing
the fabric down onto it.

Don't use wet PVA directly onto the fabric unless you've already tried
it - you don't know how random fabric is going to react to moisture.

You'll want a couple of broomsticks pinned across the width of the
fabric, possibly with some weights on, to stretch it taut when gluing
down. An assistant to lift it on helps too (not so tricky for a small
table)

Don't try to "stretch" it into place and not glue it at all. This can
work, but it's enormously dependent on the quality of your fabric. It
also needs ongoing maintenance and isn't necessary except for high-end
billiards.

As always, experiment with your fabric, glue and a chunk of plywood
before diving in for real.

Dee

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Now that post really is the business!!
Many thanks to (er...) 'Dingbat'

Dee

Owain

David Lang wrote:
"raden" wrote in message
Beize for a snooker table is stretched and held in place by the sides,
it's not glued at all

That's my idea snookered then!

On the contrary, 30 seconds work with a Stanley knife and then a quick
exit from a pub you don't intend to drink in ever again ...

Owain

ben

[...]

Pffft! all she needs is a bakers roller and PVA.

Rough the surface of the wood with a fine piece of sandpaper apply the glue
thinly and evenly all over taking more care to the side and corners, cut the
felt to size allowing quater of an inch overlap then place over workpiece
smooth it out across the workpiece with the hand then use the rolling pin to
flatten the felt down and at the same time spreading the glue towards the
edges when your happy with the job then get some card the size of the table
put it on the workpiece then put something heavy on top to keep the felt
flat whilst it cures.

Using hot glue is not for the novice as you have to work quickly where as
pva cold allows you time to work with discrepencies should any arise.

raden

In message , David Lang
writes

"raden" wrote in message
Beize for a snooker table is stretched and held in place by the sides,
it's not glued at all

That's my idea snookered then!

Balls

--
geoff
The Natural Philosopher

Dee wrote:

I have inherited an old card table (playing cards!).
It is a beautiful piece of furnitue but the green baize covering on the
table is in poor repair.
I want to replace it.
It looks like it is just a square of cloth 'stuck' onto the wood base.
But life is never that simple! Anyobe ever done this please?
Does the green cloth perchance come with a peel-off stickey back? Probably
not.
Glue?

Any advice on how to proceed much appreciated.

Dee

You can use PVA to glue wood to fabric over a large area but it needs
pressing down while it dries - and this will be quite slow.

The more expensive way is the sort of ammonia/latex glue like copydex.
Its essentially a contact adhesive.

You can use solvent contact adhesive but its a bit fierce and a bit lumpy.

Neither caustic soda nor car body filler are recommended. ;-)

John Cartmell

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dee wrote:

I have inherited an old card table (playing cards!).
It is a beautiful piece of furnitue but the green baize covering on the
table is in poor repair.
I want to replace it.
It looks like it is just a square of cloth 'stuck' onto the wood base.
But life is never that simple! Anyobe ever done this please?
Does the green cloth perchance come with a peel-off stickey back? Probably
not.
Glue?

Any advice on how to proceed much appreciated.

Dee

You can use PVA to glue wood to fabric over a large area but it needs
pressing down while it dries - and this will be quite slow.

NO!

The cover *must* be fixed under tension if it's ever to be used for playing
cards on. Best if it's not glued on the top at all but merely fastened (or
glued) at the sides.

raden

In message , John Cartmell
writes
Dee wrote:

I have inherited an old card table (playing cards!).
It is a beautiful piece of furnitue but the green baize covering on the
table is in poor repair.
I want to replace it.

You can use PVA to glue wood to fabric over a large area but it needs
pressing down while it dries - and this will be quite slow.

NO!

The cover *must* be fixed under tension if it's ever to be used for playing
cards on. Best if it's not glued on the top at all but merely fastened (or
glued) at the sides.

I've been trying to say that but nobody seems to be listening

--
geoff
Owain

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
You can use solvent contact adhesive but its a bit fierce and a bit lumpy.

Just run over it with the Land-Rover a couple of times to smooth it out.

Owain

ben

Owain wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
You can use solvent contact adhesive but its a bit fierce and a bit
lumpy.

Just run over it with the Land-Rover a couple of times to smooth it
out.

Owain

Am I allowed to do that with the Missus? she's "a bit fierce and a bit
lumpy".

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:53:04 GMT, "ben" wrote:

Using hot glue is not for the novice as you have to work quickly

No you don't. The easiest way to glue this down is to use an animal
glue, apply it, let it gel and only then lay the fabric over it. Then
use a cool iron (no steam) to set the fabric into the glue.

At this time of year hide glues have plenty of open working time.

The downside is of course that you need a small electric hotplate
(bigger cupwarmers) or a real thermostatically controlled gluepot.
However this is the 21st century and electrical gadgets are dirt cheap.
I wouldn't work hide glue without one (unless Mary is watching!).

John Schmitt

Dee wrote:
I have inherited an old card table (playing cards!).
It is a beautiful piece of furnitue but the green baize covering on the
table is in poor repair.
I want to replace it.
It looks like it is just a square of cloth 'stuck' onto the wood base.
But life is never that simple! Anyobe ever done this please?
Does the green cloth perchance come with a peel-off stickey back? Probably
not.
Glue?

I recently helped my mother refurbish her card table. THe top was made
of hardboard and knocked out fairly easily from underneath. The top on
this one was felt, not baize (baize has a woven substrate) and peeled
off easily. We used a strong wallpaper paste as this caused the new felt
to shrink slightly and give a nice tight surface. Dilute pva would also
work well, and probably exen spray mounting adhesive from an artists'
supplier. The pins holdind the top down were replaced and job done. If
the woodwork needs any refinishing, this is obviously the time to do it.

I sourced the fabric from the Curtain Factory Outlet for a fiver a
metre. For anyone inside the M25 envelope who is looking for curtains or
just cloth (this is uk.d-i-y after all) it is worth a visit. Again, I
have no commercial interest, just that their prices are good. They also
do blinds and a complete make-and-fit (including rails) service. Not
that any of you would think of doing that. ;-)

John Schmitt

John Schmitt

John Schmitt

I wrote:
I sourced the fabric from the Curtain Factory Outlet for a fiver a
metre. For anyone inside the M25 envelope who is looking for curtains or
just cloth (this is uk.d-i-y after all) it is worth a visit.

I forgot:

http://www.curtainfactoryoutlet.co.uk/

D'oh!

John Schmitt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Dee, Anne wrote:
I'm exactly same as you. Looking for help. 😆

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...le-742419-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Anne, Bob wrote:
I suggest you look at the date of Dee's message. the table may have crumbled
to dust by now; TWELVE YEARS have elapsed!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...le-742419-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2017 21:44, Bob wrote:
replying to Anne, Bob wrote:
I suggest you look at the date of Dee's message. the table may have
crumbled
to dust by now; TWELVE YEARS have elapsed!

And most of us don't see the original question

See
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 17:14:07 UTC+1, Anne wrote:
replying to Dee, Anne wrote:
I'm exactly same as you. Looking for help. 😆

Perhaps you could be a lot less vague?

Original thread he
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/2CKfhGs5tGk

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Dee, Mike wrote:
Realise this is a very old post but if anyone is looking for decent baize to
cover their card tables this website offer precut squares of premium quality
baize
https://www.baizewoolfabrics.co.uk/p...es-table-size/

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...le-742419-.htm