Tony Williams

Default Shower question.

My pal has a cottage with downstairs bathroom, h/w tank
in the bathroom, fed from a c/w storage tank in the roof.
Height, from the floor of the bathroom to the base of the
c/w tank is about 16-17 feet. No knowlege about the pipe
sizes.

Could he get a reasonable shower without a pump?

Thanks,

--
Tony Williams.
Richard Polhill

Tony Williams wrote in
:

My pal has a cottage with downstairs bathroom, h/w tank
in the bathroom, fed from a c/w storage tank in the roof.
Height, from the floor of the bathroom to the base of the
c/w tank is about 16-17 feet. No knowlege about the pipe
sizes.

Could he get a reasonable shower without a pump?

Thanks,

How many storeys? If it's a two storey cottage then yeah it should be OK if
it's plumbed in 22mm pipe.

Bet the cold is mains pressure which'll make mixing a bugger. I gave up and
fitted an electric shower myself which was a lot cheaper than a suitable
mixer valve.

Rich

--
Rich P
Replace .invalid with .com to reply.
John Rumm

Tony Williams wrote:
My pal has a cottage with downstairs bathroom, h/w tank
in the bathroom, fed from a c/w storage tank in the roof.
Height, from the floor of the bathroom to the base of the
c/w tank is about 16-17 feet. No knowlege about the pipe
sizes.

Could he get a reasonable shower without a pump?

Depends on your expectations to an extent. If the head is 16 foot to the
bathroom floor, it is only going to be 10 foot at best to the shower
head (or about 1/3rd of a bar in pressure). It is possible with large
diameter pipes, straight runs, and suitable shower valve and shower head
to get a functioning shower with that sort of pressure. You would
obviously need to take a dedicated cold feed from the cistern for the
shower as well since mixing with mains pressure cold is not likely to
work well.

When we had a gravity fed system, that was probably the sort of head it
had - and it worked just fine in the sense of providing plenty of flow
rate. However there was not that much pressure behind it - so if you
like the "I am just about to flay you alive" sensation you can get from
some showers you may be disappointed!

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Richard Polhill wrote:
How many storeys? If it's a two storey cottage then yeah it should be OK
if it's plumbed in 22mm pipe.

Bet the cold is mains pressure which'll make mixing a bugger. I gave up
and fitted an electric shower myself which was a lot cheaper than a
suitable mixer valve.

But slightly less flow than being pi**ed on by a dog?

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Tony Williams

In article ,
Richard Polhill wrote:

[snip]
Bet the cold is mains pressure which'll make mixing a bugger.

He's ok there.... no mains, well water pumped up to
the tank in the roof.

Thanks,

--
Tony Williams.

Tony Williams

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

[snip]
When we had a gravity fed system, that was probably the sort of
head it had - and it worked just fine in the sense of providing
plenty of flow rate. However there was not that much pressure
behind it - so if you like the "I am just about to flay you
alive" sensation you can get from some showers you may be
disappointed!

I don't think he'd expect much. When the water comes
from your own well you live in a permanent "water
conservation mode".

Looks as though it could be on. Thanks.

--
Tony Williams.
Doctor Drivel

"Richard Polhill" wrote in message
Tony Williams wrote in
:

My pal has a cottage with downstairs bathroom, h/w tank
in the bathroom, fed from a c/w storage tank in the roof.
Height, from the floor of the bathroom to the base of the
c/w tank is about 16-17 feet. No knowlege about the pipe
sizes.

Could he get a reasonable shower without a pump?

Thanks,

How many storeys? If it's a two storey cottage then yeah it should be OK

if
it's plumbed in 22mm pipe.

Bet the cold is mains pressure which'll make mixing a bugger. I gave up

and
fitted an electric shower myself which was a lot cheaper than a suitable
mixer valve.

You should have fitted a venturi shower, which takes a cold mains supply and
a low pressure hot supply. Electric? Madness.

Doctor Drivel

"Tony Williams" wrote in message
In article ,
Richard Polhill wrote:

[snip]
Bet the cold is mains pressure which'll make mixing a bugger.

He's ok there.... no mains, well water pumped up to
the tank in the roof.

1. A Low pressure shower mixer and suitable handset. Must be LP!!! The
cold to the shower must have a dedicated pipe from the tank. The hot taken
directly from the cylinder, or using a Surrey flange on the DHW draw-off.

2. As above, but a high pressure mixer using a power shower pump in the hot
and cold lines.

3. A venturi shower mixer with the cold taken off the well pump and hot
from the cylinder. I assume the cold water from the well is fine for
washing and treated in some way.

I would tend to go for No. 3.

Tony Williams

In article
ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

1. A Low pressure shower mixer and suitable handset. Must be
LP!!! The cold to the shower must have a dedicated pipe from the
tank. The hot taken directly from the cylinder, or using a
Surrey flange on the DHW draw-off.

[snip]
3. A venturi shower mixer with the cold taken off the well pump
and hot from the cylinder.

1 or 3 I think, 1 being the easier.

I was a little brief.... the well water is pumped up
to a large underground reservoir, up the hill, which
then feeds back to the c/w tank in the attic. The
head at the entry to the c/w tank is probably about
another 10-15ft or so. Large dia polythene piping
and there is a fearsome pressure/flow rate directly
from the reservoir back to ground level..... as we
found out when fiddling with the pump, and some silly
B uncoupled one of the pipes by accident.
It wasn't me. :-))))

I assume the cold water from the well
is fine for washing and treated in some way.

Checked for potability at regular intervals.

--
Tony Williams.
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

1. A Low pressure shower mixer and suitable handset. Must be
LP!!! The cold to the shower must have a dedicated pipe from the
tank. The hot taken directly from the cylinder, or using a
Surrey flange on the DHW draw-off.

[snip]
3. A venturi shower mixer with the cold taken off the well pump
and hot from the cylinder.

1 or 3 I think, 1 being the easier.

You can buy mixers with the power shower pump integral in the unit. So, no
expensive space taking external pump.

http://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/
E.g., look at the power shower range.

I was a little brief.... the well water is pumped up
to a large underground reservoir, up the hill, which
then feeds back to the c/w tank in the attic. The
head at the entry to the c/w tank is probably about
another 10-15ft or so. Large dia polythene piping
and there is a fearsome pressure/flow rate directly
from the reservoir back to ground level..... as we
found out when fiddling with the pump, and some silly
B uncoupled one of the pipes by accident.
It wasn't me. :-))))

Sorted. You have about 1 bar of cold water pressure from the potable cold
water supply. A venturi "may" do it, depending on the pressure range of the
cold - see makers blurb.

Personally I would get rid of the tank in the house as I don't see the need
when you have a constant pressure tank giving around constant ~1 bar further
up the hill. I would go for an instant hot water system, as in a combi
(LPG?, assuming no gas mains here), or a thermal store/heat bank. Then 1
bar pressure on "all" taps and easy to fix mixers on all basins as equal
pressure on both. Then a nice high constant flow on all outlets in the
house.

At around 1 bar an LP shower mixer would do nicely. Most have a max
pressure of around 1 to 1.5 bar. Again check the Triton site for LP models.
Others do them as well.

Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
Shower temporary fix question Rich Heimlich Home Repair 5 June 22nd 05 08:43 PM
shower tray question 2 jacob UK diy 1 February 23rd 05 02:19 PM
shower pan install question gntry Home Repair 3 May 27th 04 01:44 PM
Grooveless shower head pipe? Robert Schultz Home Repair 3 January 3rd 04 04:40 AM