jg

Default Aldi Table Saw

Alid have a cheap table saw on offer starting this friday.

It's "CRAFT" branded, looks OK for £30. Anybody have any experience of them?

I have a "CRAFT" router which seems quite good for the price, although it is
my first router so have nothing to compare it with. It is certainly good
enough for what i've used it for.

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_301.html

here's the spec from the website.
Save your arms from aching and keep those longer cuts dead straight.

a.. Powerful 1000W
b.. No load speed: 2950rpm
c.. TCT saw blade 205 x 16 x 2.4mm
d.. Maximum cutting depth at 90º: 43mm
e.. Maximum cutting depth at 45º: 25mm
f.. Magnetic safety switch and parallel guide
g.. 45º table tilt for accurate, parallel, mitre, bevel and compound cuts
h.. Extension table for cutting larger work pieces
i.. Dust extraction facility
j.. Size: 600mm x 515mm

Andy Hall

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:18:27 +0100, "jg" wrote:

[...]

From the spec, it's going to depend on what your expectations are.

A few noticable things:

- The blade has a 16mm bore. This is relatively unusual in Europe -
most are 30mm. You can get 16mm, but it's relatively unusual, as is
the 205mm diameter. Blades could easily turn out to cost half the
price of the saw.

- The entry level £200 table saws have 1800-2000W motors and are
marginal for cutting material such as 18mm chipboard. At 1000W, this
product would have severe difficulties.

- Because of the plastic construction, the small motor and the thin
sheet metal top, the product will be light in weight. This is not a
problem for cutting small pieces of material, but attempting a large
sheet would be highly dangerous.

- It mentions dust extraction. This appears to be either on the back
of the motor unit or the back of the guard. Either way it is fairly
limited. If you were to cut MDF or thin hardwood, you would need to
wear a dust mask because this extraction won't be enough.

- Fences on the entry level £200 saws are the second weak point after
the blade. They have a mounting which is too flimsy to ensure that
the fence is aligned repeatably, straight and square. There is a
second fastening arrangement at the back of the saw to lock the fence,
but it has to be adjusted and checked for every new cut if you want
reasonable results. This one appears to have a similar arrangement.

So it's very limited, as you would expect for the price. However, if
you just wanted something to either do small rough work, or as the
name suggests, "craft", then it may be OK.

Keep in mind that most people find the £200 entry level saws woefully
inadequate fairly soon. It's necessary to spend around £500 to get
into the realms of the decent saw with repeatable fence.

As long as you set your expectations accordingly, then you can decide
reasonably whether this is worth it or whether putting £30 towards
something better makes more sense.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Rusty

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

I ran one for a while last year and agree the fence wasn't very straight and
needed setting up with set square every time. It hadn't any plastic bits
apart from the knobs and handles.

But for just trimming a few skirting boards it was no problem. A lot
neater than a circular hand saw that cost a lot more.

rusty

16mm is easy to find. It's the old 5/8" that's standard on older
British kit. If you can't find a blade to fit, just use a 30mm bore
and an adapter washer (quid or so from Axminster).

It's a bargain (How _do_ they do it?). But that doesn't mean it's any
good. As an answer to "How do I buy an absolutely minimal table saw for
30 quid?" it's a good solution. For the question "How do I buy a usable
table saw?" it's not. It won't even cut a 2x2 in half.

I just can't think of any sawing task I might reasonably be able to do
on this saw.

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...

It's a bargain (How _do_ they do it?). But that doesn't mean it's any
good. As an answer to "How do I buy an absolutely minimal table saw for
30 quid?" it's a good solution. For the question "How do I buy a usable
table saw?" it's not. It won't even cut a 2x2 in half.

How do you know?

Someone on another group Spouse goes to said it was well worth the money, it
did everything he asked of it - including cutting bigger sections than 2" x
2". Spouse wasn't tempted because he has his own necessarily butch kit but
for anyone who doesn't need such high specs why not?

Mary

Andy Hall

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:06:44 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

It's a bargain (How _do_ they do it?). But that doesn't mean it's any
good. As an answer to "How do I buy an absolutely minimal table saw for
30 quid?" it's a good solution. For the question "How do I buy a usable
table saw?" it's not. It won't even cut a 2x2 in half.

How do you know?

Someone on another group Spouse goes to said it was well worth the money, it
did everything he asked of it - including cutting bigger sections than 2" x
2". Spouse wasn't tempted because he has his own necessarily butch kit but
for anyone who doesn't need such high specs why not?

Mary

Max cutting depth at 90 degrees is 43mm.

Prepared 2" x 2" is typically net 44mm.

There's nothing wrong with a product in this class as long as one
understands the pretty severe limitations.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Pete C

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:28:36 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Max cutting depth at 90 degrees is 43mm.

Prepared 2" x 2" is typically net 44mm.

There's nothing wrong with a product in this class as long as one
understands the pretty severe limitations.

Hi,

Should be possible to cut a groove and turn the wood over so it can
then be cut through.

cheers,
Pee.
ben

jg wrote:
Alid have a cheap table saw on offer starting this friday.

They also have on offer today set of 8 (plus a mains live tester
screwdriver), good insulated screwdrivers at a price of £4.99

Andy Hall

wrote:

Max cutting depth at 90 degrees is 43mm.

Prepared 2" x 2" is typically net 44mm.

There's nothing wrong with a product in this class as long as one
understands the pretty severe limitations.

Hi,

Should be possible to cut a groove and turn the wood over so it can
then be cut through.

cheers,
Pee.

As long as everything is and remains square and straight.

That's a big assumption.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mark

Andy Hall wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:18:27 +0100, "jg" wrote:

Alid have a cheap table saw on offer starting this friday.

From the spec, it's going to depend on what your expectations are.

[...]

A reasoned augment that's hard to nitpick, apart from obvious price
discrepancies.
The only thing I would add is if you really have a use for a _very small_
cheep bench saw this one is IMHO better and even cheaper then the Argos/B&Q
challenge ones.

ben

jg wrote:
Alid have a cheap table saw on offer starting this friday.

It's "CRAFT" branded, looks OK for £30. Anybody have any experience
of them?

I have a "CRAFT" router which seems quite good for the price,
although it is my first router so have nothing to compare it with. It
is certainly good enough for what i've used it for.

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_301.html

There gonna be hard pushed selling them off at my branch, they have 35 of
the things.

/me waits till the price comes down :-)

Mary Fisher

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

How do you know?

Are we back to your theory that you can't tell anything about a product
unless you buy it?

Buying - or even owning it - isn't good experience of how it works.

Mary

David Lang

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
- The entry level £200 table saws have 1800-2000W motors and are
marginal for cutting material such as 18mm chipboard. At 1000W, this
product would have severe difficulties.

???

My 'entry level' £180 Charnwood 10" table saw has a 1400w motor and goes
through 18mm chipboard like it isn't there.

Dave

Adrian C

ben wrote:
There gonna be hard pushed selling them off at my branch, they have 35 of
the things.

/me waits till the price comes down :-)

Everytime the vertical Powercraft bench drill comes in Aldi (been around
twice), it's on a pretty heavy pallet of about thirty boxes (one of
which is a bit of a struggle to lift - not light). Selling price is
about £30, but eventually drops to £25. I bought one of these for my new
workshop. Works fine. Still don't how it's made and transported and sold
so cheap!

--
Adrian C
Andy Hall

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:50:48 GMT, "David Lang"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
- The entry level £200 table saws have 1800-2000W motors and are
marginal for cutting material such as 18mm chipboard. At 1000W, this
product would have severe difficulties.

???

My 'entry level' £180 Charnwood 10" table saw has a 1400w motor and goes
through 18mm chipboard like it isn't there.

Dave

With the original blade? This is one of the biggest improvements
that can be made with an entry level saw, although at £30 for the saw,
a decent blade could cost the same or more.

I saw some of Charnwood's products at a woodworking trade show and
generally they seemed better than others from the DIY stores in the
similar price range.

In entry level tools and machines, the motor is often the cost
compromise item because it's the single largest factor. For example,
with routers, the sub-£150 ones perform especially poorly for this
reason. 1800W in on one motor does not give the same result
mechanically as 1800W in on another, for example.

Obviously another factor is supporting the material safely where a
small table saw is used.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

David Lang

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
With the original blade? This is one of the biggest improvements
that can be made with an entry level saw, although at £30 for the saw,
a decent blade could cost the same or more.

Mine came with two blades. The one fitted was a 30 tooth which I swapped
for the finer one since I cut a lot of thin ply etc.

I saw some of Charnwood's products at a woodworking trade show and
generally they seemed better than others from the DIY stores in the
similar price range.

Difficult to buy anything decent below £500/600 agreed, but it was the best
'under £200' I could find. Induction motor made the difference for me,
limits the depth of cut to 58mm @90degrees but that doesn't bother me.

Not only couldn't justify going abouve £200 but in my 16' x 8'
garage/workshop, size was a criteria as well.

Dave

Dave

PC Paul

David Lang wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message
With the original blade? This is one of the biggest improvements
that can be made with an entry level saw, although at £30 for the
saw, a decent blade could cost the same or more.

Mine came with two blades. The one fitted was a 30 tooth which I
swapped for the finer one since I cut a lot of thin ply etc.

I saw some of Charnwood's products at a woodworking trade show and
generally they seemed better than others from the DIY stores in the
similar price range.

Difficult to buy anything decent below £500/600 agreed, but it was
the best 'under £200' I could find. Induction motor made the
difference for me, limits the depth of cut to 58mm @90degrees but
that doesn't bother me.
Not only couldn't justify going abouve £200 but in my 16' x 8'
garage/workshop, size was a criteria as well.

Generally you'll find an 1800W induction motor is far far better than an
1800w universal motor.

In terms of (lack of)noise, (plenty of)power and (vastly longer)working
life.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:16:30 GMT, "David Lang"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
With the original blade? This is one of the biggest improvements
that can be made with an entry level saw, although at £30 for the saw,
a decent blade could cost the same or more.

Mine came with two blades. The one fitted was a 30 tooth which I swapped
for the finer one since I cut a lot of thin ply etc.

I saw some of Charnwood's products at a woodworking trade show and
generally they seemed better than others from the DIY stores in the
similar price range.

Difficult to buy anything decent below £500/600 agreed, but it was the best
'under £200' I could find. Induction motor made the difference for me,
limits the depth of cut to 58mm @90degrees but that doesn't bother me.

Not only couldn't justify going abouve £200 but in my 16' x 8'
garage/workshop, size was a criteria as well.

So this is the W625 contractor saw?

Certainly a better option than the typical aluminium top jobs.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
ben

David Lang wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message
- The entry level £200 table saws have 1800-2000W motors and are
marginal for cutting material such as 18mm chipboard. At 1000W,
this product would have severe difficulties.

???

My 'entry level' £180 Charnwood 10" table saw has a 1400w motor and
goes through 18mm chipboard like it isn't there.

Dave

The problem is...has it earned its keep?
For me to buy an item of tool over £150 I'd like to think it will pay for
itself after 2/3 jobs.

ben

Adrian C wrote:
ben wrote:
There gonna be hard pushed selling them off at my branch, they have
35 of the things.

/me waits till the price comes down :-)

Everytime the vertical Powercraft bench drill comes in Aldi (been
around twice), it's on a pretty heavy pallet of about thirty boxes
(one of which is a bit of a struggle to lift - not light). Selling
price is about £30, but eventually drops to £25. I bought one of
these for my new workshop. Works fine. Still don't how it's made and
transported and sold so cheap!

The Scandinavians think cheap. :-)

Andy Hall

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:34:19 GMT, "ben" wrote:

Adrian C wrote:
ben wrote:
There gonna be hard pushed selling them off at my branch, they have
35 of the things.

/me waits till the price comes down :-)

Everytime the vertical Powercraft bench drill comes in Aldi (been
around twice), it's on a pretty heavy pallet of about thirty boxes
(one of which is a bit of a struggle to lift - not light). Selling
price is about £30, but eventually drops to £25. I bought one of
these for my new workshop. Works fine. Still don't how it's made and
transported and sold so cheap!

The Scandinavians think cheap. :-)

Query on two counts....

- Aldi is German. Germany ain't in Scandinavia. Contrary to popular
belief, neither's Finland, but that's another issue

- Scandinavians do not generally think in terms of cheap, but more in
terms of value for money. None of the countries could be described as
a cheap environment in UK terms.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
David Lang

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

So this is the W625 contractor saw?

Certainly a better option than the typical aluminium top jobs.

No, the W615 10" Induction Motor Table Saw http://tinyurl.com/7vsu2

It does have an aluminium top buy it's cast not sheet - very rigid & flat.
Don't think they did the WS625 when I bought mine, looks like a very good
deal at the price.

I did specificaly want one where I could remove the guard & splitter/riving
knife easily because I cut lots of grooves & rebates etc, American style.
The Charnwood was the best in that respect.

I have to say BTW Charnwoods after sales service is absolutely superb.

Dave

David Lang

Hi Ben
The problem is...has it earned its keep?
For me to buy an item of tool over £150 I'd like to think it will pay for
itself after 2/3 jobs.

For me, yes it has because I do lots of woodwork for fun & profit. I do
know what you mean though, horses for courses.

Dave

Doctor Drivel

Adrian C wrote:
ben wrote:
[...]

Aldi is German
Netto is Danish
Lidl is either German or Austrian

All three are similar in looks, colour is yellow, price, type of goods, no
credit cards used, internal layout, very low price specials every week, etc.

They all appear to be the same place.

ben

Adrian C wrote:
ben wrote:
[...]

I was thinking of another store then, was it Netto?

Andy Hall

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:42:14 GMT, "David Lang"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

So this is the W625 contractor saw?

Certainly a better option than the typical aluminium top jobs.

No, the W615 10" Induction Motor Table Saw http://tinyurl.com/7vsu2

It does have an aluminium top buy it's cast not sheet - very rigid & flat.
Don't think they did the WS625 when I bought mine, looks like a very good
deal at the price.

Yes, I think that Grunff bought one or a similar thing.

I did specificaly want one where I could remove the guard & splitter/riving
knife easily because I cut lots of grooves & rebates etc, American style.
The Charnwood was the best in that respect.

OK. Does it have a long arbor for a dado set, in that case?

I have to say BTW Charnwoods after sales service is absolutely superb.

Dave

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Adrian C

ben wrote:

The Scandinavians think cheap. :-)

Hmmm... me been to workshop to check.

Walter, Powercraft & KingCraft
http://www.walter-werkzeuge.com

My Austrian is not too great :-)

--
Adrian C
Andy Hall

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:14:44 +0100, Adrian C wrote:

ben wrote:

The Scandinavians think cheap. :-)

Hmmm... me been to workshop to check.

Walter, Powercraft & KingCraft
http://www.walter-werkzeuge.com

My Austrian is not too great :-)

....ist Deutsch..

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I saw some of Charnwood's products at a woodworking trade show and
generally they seemed better than others from the DIY stores in the
similar price range.

In entry level tools and machines, the motor is often the cost
compromise item because it's the single largest factor. For example,
with routers, the sub-£150 ones perform especially poorly for this
reason. 1800W in on one motor does not give the same result
mechanically as 1800W in on another, for example.

Oh - you mean there aren't absolutes?

chortle

Mary

Mary Fisher

"David Lang" wrote in message
k...
Hi Ben
The problem is...has it earned its keep?
For me to buy an item of tool over £150 I'd like to think it will pay for
itself after 2/3 jobs.

For me, yes it has because I do lots of woodwork for fun & profit. I do
know what you mean though, horses for courses.

When we pay three (or more) figures for an item we say that the first item
made with it costs that amount plus materials. All subsequent ones are
materials only.

The ease and efficiency - the joy - of using a good machine makes up for the
price. It's only a capital expenditure, it's only paid once.

Mary

Dave

Andy Hall

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:05:04 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

I saw some of Charnwood's products at a woodworking trade show and
generally they seemed better than others from the DIY stores in the
similar price range.

In entry level tools and machines, the motor is often the cost
compromise item because it's the single largest factor. For example,
with routers, the sub-£150 ones perform especially poorly for this
reason. 1800W in on one motor does not give the same result
mechanically as 1800W in on another, for example.

Oh - you mean there aren't absolutes?

chortle

Mary

Nope. This is an area where specs are manipulated for marketing
advantage.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:05:04 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..

I saw some of Charnwood's products at a woodworking trade show and
generally they seemed better than others from the DIY stores in the
similar price range.

In entry level tools and machines, the motor is often the cost
compromise item because it's the single largest factor. For example,
with routers, the sub-£150 ones perform especially poorly for this
reason. 1800W in on one motor does not give the same result
mechanically as 1800W in on another, for example.

Oh - you mean there aren't absolutes?

chortle

Mary

Nope. This is an area where specs are manipulated for marketing
advantage.

You didn't understand my point ... never mind.

Mary

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Doctor Drivel

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:05:04 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..

I saw some of Charnwood's products at a woodworking trade show and
generally they seemed better than others from the DIY stores in the
similar price range.

In entry level tools and machines, the motor is often the cost
compromise item because it's the single largest factor. For example,
with routers, the sub-£150 ones perform especially poorly for this
reason. 1800W in on one motor does not give the same result
mechanically as 1800W in on another, for example.

Oh - you mean there aren't absolutes?

chortle

Mary

Nope. This is an area where specs are manipulated for marketing
advantage.

You didn't understand my point ... never mind.

Mary.

I know how you feel.

David Lang

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

OK. Does it have a long arbor for a dado set, in that case?

Alas no! Regulations about electronic brakes etc. I use the normal blade
with multiple passes.

I have a dado set for my DeWalt RAS anyhow.

Dave

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:09:48 +0100, Pete C wrote:

Should be possible to cut a groove and turn the wood over so it can
then be cut through.

Not on that fence!

Andy Hall

ben wrote:

The Scandinavians think cheap. :-)

Hmmm... me been to workshop to check.

Walter, Powercraft & KingCraft
http://www.walter-werkzeuge.com

My Austrian is not too great :-)

...ist Deutsch..

Yet sounds completely different :-)

Ah well, that's another thing.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
raden

In message , Adrian C
writes
ben wrote:

The Scandinavians think cheap. :-)

Hmmm... me been to workshop to check.

Walter, Powercraft & KingCraft
http://www.walter-werkzeuge.com

My Austrian is not too great :-)

Yeah, but what do you want to know

the marketing crap (usual ********) or the technical spec (fairly
intuitive)

--
geoff
Pete C

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:12:50 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:09:48 +0100, Pete C wrote:

Should be possible to cut a groove and turn the wood over so it can
then be cut through.

Not on that fence!

Why...? Reasons of FUD

cheers,
Pete.
Andy Hall

wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:09:48 +0100, Pete C wrote:

Should be possible to cut a groove and turn the wood over so it can
then be cut through.

Not on that fence!

Why...? Reasons of FUD

All three of those.....