Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Default One tiny connector required

Where can I buy *one* wire connector!? I'm stumped.

It's one of those that crimps onto a cooker ignition wire, for the grill
specifically, and looks like a B from the end and is 3.5mm across. It slides
onto a very small, flat, male connector but it has brokeded itself somehow.
I can't think of any local shops which would sell one...

Si

Rob Morley

In article ,
""Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" " "Mungo \"two
sheds\" Toadfoot" says...
Where can I buy *one* wire connector!? I'm stumped.

It's one of those that crimps onto a cooker ignition wire, for the grill
specifically, and looks like a B from the end and is 3.5mm across. It slides
onto a very small, flat, male connector but it has brokeded itself somehow.
I can't think of any local shops which would sell one...

Can you solder the wire on the back of the clippy bit, or just jam it
under one of the curvy bits?
They're called Lucar connectors.
Alan

In message , "Mungo
\"two sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote
Where can I buy *one* wire connector!? I'm stumped.

It's one of those that crimps onto a cooker ignition wire, for the grill
specifically, and looks like a B from the end and is 3.5mm across. It slides
onto a very small, flat, male connector but it has brokeded itself somehow.
I can't think of any local shops which would sell one...

You probably mean spade/blade connectors or more correctly the female
mating half.
Example
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=CBBR7397&N=41
1

They come in various sizes and are used on cars so a car accessory shop
--
Alan

Clint Sharp

In message , "Mungo
\"two sheds\" Toadfoot" writes
Where can I buy *one* wire connector!? I'm stumped.

It's one of those that crimps onto a cooker ignition wire, for the grill
specifically, and looks like a B from the end and is 3.5mm across. It slides
onto a very small, flat, male connector but it has brokeded itself somehow.
I can't think of any local shops which would sell one...

Go and ask you friendly local independent garage.

Si

--
Clint Sharp
Gary Cavie

In article , "Mungo
\"two sheds\" Toadfoot" says...
Where can I buy *one* wire connector!? I'm stumped.

It's one of those that crimps onto a cooker ignition wire, for the grill
specifically, and looks like a B from the end and is 3.5mm across. It slides
onto a very small, flat, male connector but it has brokeded itself somehow.
I can't think of any local shops which would sell one...

Si

What about Halfords - they sound like the small connectors often used for
speakers?

Or failing that a 5A choc block, or soldering direct as Rob suggested.

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Rob Morley wrote:

They're called Lucar connectors.

Thanks all. I'll be off to Halfords tomorrow to scrounge a Lucar connector.

I don't fancy soldering it - it's a little difficult to get to and to hold
properly.

Si

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot wrote:
Where can I buy *one* wire connector!? I'm stumped.

It's one of those that crimps onto a cooker ignition wire, for the grill
specifically, and looks like a B from the end and is 3.5mm across. It
slides onto a very small, flat, male connector but it has brokeded
itself somehow. I can't think of any local shops which would sell one...

I'd say it's a smaller version of the 1/4" spade connector common on cars.
They come in (male width) 6.3mm (1/4") 4.8mm, and 2.8mm - as well as
larger sizes. So I'd guess yours is 2.8mm.

It's a size used for speakers in cars. Halfords may have a pack of
assorted sizes.

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot wrote:
They're called Lucar connectors.

Thanks all. I'll be off to Halfords tomorrow to scrounge a Lucar
connector.

I don't fancy soldering it - it's a little difficult to get to and to
hold properly.

If you can't find one in Halfords, etc, drop me an e-mail (observing spam
trap) and I'll send you one. But really, to work properly without
soldering, you need the correct crimping tool.

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message , "Mungo
\"two sheds\" Toadfoot" writes
Where can I buy *one* wire connector!? I'm stumped.

It's one of those that crimps onto a cooker ignition wire, for the grill
specifically, and looks like a B from the end and is 3.5mm across. It slides
onto a very small, flat, male connector but it has brokeded itself somehow.
I can't think of any local shops which would sell one...

Car soap and sponge shop

Or, I can send you a couple if you want

--
geoff
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot wrote:
They're called Lucar connectors.

Thanks all. I'll be off to Halfords tomorrow to scrounge a Lucar
connector.

I don't fancy soldering it - it's a little difficult to get to and to
hold properly.

If you can't find one in Halfords, etc, drop me an e-mail (observing
spam trap) and I'll send you one. But really, to work properly without
soldering, you need the correct crimping tool.

You're a good chap, Dave.

I *think* I have a crimping tool somewhere...

I'll nip down to Halfords later today.

Si

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot wrote:
They're called Lucar connectors.

Thanks all. I'll be off to Halfords tomorrow to scrounge a Lucar
connector.

I don't fancy soldering it - it's a little difficult to get to and to
hold properly.

If you can't find one in Halfords, etc, drop me an e-mail (observing
spam trap) and I'll send you one. But really, to work properly without
soldering, you need the correct crimping tool.

The cheeky buggers wanted £3 for four connectors in Halfords so I went to
Mobile and Marine in Ramsgate where I got one for nowt. Nice chap.

Put it on, sounds like it's sparking, lit once then refused to light any
more after that. Bloody thing. Why they had to design it so you can't
actually see the electrode without a mirror and a torch is beyond me.

Going back later with a mirror and a torch!

Si

Clint Sharp

In message , "Mungo
\"two sheds\" Toadfoot" writes
Put it on, sounds like it's sparking, lit once then refused to light any
more after that. Bloody thing. Why they had to design it so you can't
actually see the electrode without a mirror and a torch is beyond me.

Going back later with a mirror and a torch!

Might be easier without the torch, if it's still making the sparking
noise you might have some crud on the insulator around the electrode or
you might have a cracked the insulator, have a look at the connector you
just fitted as well, without the aid of a torch, and you might be able
to see arcing where it shouldn't be.

Si

--
Clint Sharp
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message ,
"Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" writes
Put it on, sounds like it's sparking, lit once then refused to light
any more after that. Bloody thing. Why they had to design it so you
can't actually see the electrode without a mirror and a torch is
beyond me. Going back later with a mirror and a torch!

Might be easier without the torch, if it's still making the sparking
noise you might have some crud on the insulator around the electrode
or you might have a cracked the insulator, have a look at the
connector you just fitted as well, without the aid of a torch, and
you might be able to see arcing where it shouldn't be.

True enough. The earth part was too far from the electrode so I adjusted it
and it worked for a while. Then the spark at the electrode stopped but I
could still hear it sparking somewhere else! Sometimes it sparks, sometimes
it doesn't, but it always *sounds* like it is.

It's a dedicated ignitor in the grill so I think it's arcing away somewhere
else - probably behind the ker-nob. Arse.

Si